PDA

View Full Version : Cyanobacteria contagious theory

emmanuel.yoo
10/11/2016, 08:43 PM
Hello all,

I have had several reef tanks. Some got cyanobacteria, some didn't. I just want to get your opinions if it is contagious or not. I heard some people say: all reef tanks have them. And other that says: it has to be introduced.

I believe that it has to be introduced to your reef to be there. I do also believe that most of the reefers here have already cyanobacteria dormant or in small quantities in their aquariums.

My theory behind this is simple. My last reef had dark green cyano. It happened few days after I got some frags that had dark green cyano on them. Before that, I never had cyano. And the red type of cyano wasn't present in that tank. Then, my current tank now has red type cyano. I got it few days after I got some caulerpa that had the red cyano on it. before that not a single trace of cyano. I didn't rinse it before putting because everybody told me that I already had cyano in my tank and to not worry if the parameters are good it won't bloom. I call this BS.

If there are any scientists here or anyone more knowledgeable than me that can enlighten me on this, please do. I am a little bit worried for my tank because last time I had the dark green cyano, it never went away. It just toned down but was always present in some parts of my tank. I know that some reefers here have tanks with zero sign of cyano, most of my tanks were cyano free even if I overfed or overcrowded with fish by accident.

reef thief
10/11/2016, 09:19 PM
Contagious. Yes.

The bacteria changes color based on conditions. The dark green turned into a healthy vibrant red cyano that you cringe at and wish you could go back and fix it before it was introduced. The outbreaks happen.

emmanuel.yoo
10/11/2016, 09:30 PM
So basically, if I never introduce cyanobacteria, it wont pop out from nowhere?

Sk8r
10/11/2016, 10:26 PM
No. It won't. But then again, it's practically everywhere on the planet, in many bodies of water, and it's real hard to avoid having it now and again. Doesn't require a nuclear option to kill it, just turn the lights out 3 days a month and skim efficiently, and it'll diminish.

emmanuel.yoo
10/12/2016, 11:44 PM
Thanks for the answer! It got me stressed! How long do I do the 3 days per month lights out? Last time I tried this, my clam died.

Squidmotron
10/13/2016, 10:09 AM
I think it'll pop out of nowhere. I mean it comes from somewhere. But it'll still pop out of nowhere.

mcgyvr
10/15/2016, 07:05 AM
Thanks for the answer! It got me stressed! How long do I do the 3 days per month lights out? Last time I tried this, my clam died.

Usually you only need to do a single 3 day lights out.. Then siphon as much as you can of whats left out during a water change..

3 days without lights shouldn't harm anything in the tank..

There is a chemical product called red slime remover (or chemiclean) that can also be used (exactly per the directions) and tends to work really well..