PDA

View Full Version : liveaquaria clams

NYCBOB
10/12/2016, 01:31 PM
has anyone bought any clam from them lately? i ordered 2 clams from them last week, and 1 clam didnt make it overnight. i have kept clams for many years. i just wanna see what other experiences are with liveaquaria clams. i ordered mine from the diver den section and it was a hippo clam.

wjgeese
10/17/2016, 04:44 PM
I pulled the trigger and bought one of the blue squamosas a few months ago when they first started making rounds. Clam came in bigger and nicer than expected. Happy camper here.

Maximus
10/17/2016, 06:14 PM
How's the blue squammi doing? I just received one last week and so far the clam is doing great. Just love the color on it and hope it grows fast!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v285/sanglee24/25B01DB8-9F78-43CA-98F2-D165A395F25D.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/sanglee24/media/25B01DB8-9F78-43CA-98F2-D165A395F25D.jpg.html)

SS_Sean
10/26/2016, 03:36 PM
I've ordered from them several times and clams came in dead or died shortly after. I suspect clams dont do very well with shipping... just too delicate in my opinion.

MondoBongo
10/28/2016, 07:21 AM
i ordered a large derasa from them about 2 or 3 years ago. unfortunately it died in about a week.

they refunded the cost of the animal, which was nice, but i was (an still am) bummed about losing that one.

i haven't tried to order again since. whenever possible i prefer to get my clams local so i can asses them before purchase, but i have been lusting over one of their hippopus for quite some time now. as soon as i have the room, i plan on ordering one.

toshiba
11/01/2016, 09:43 PM
I ordered one too and it died within the 14 day guarantee period. It never really looked good. They refunded me fast tho.

Mirror Pond
11/05/2016, 10:38 AM
How is the accuracy of the color from the photograph to the actual clam? They say their clams are photographed under 20k metal halide lights but I noticed that the color of the sand is different on some of the photos.

wjgeese
11/05/2016, 11:05 AM
Pretry close...the blue squamosa I got a few months ago was nicer and bigger than expected, so I'm a happy camper. These are true blue squamosas...the the grey mantle kind that sort of look blue under blue light...these are BLUE!!

Gig 'em
11/22/2016, 04:52 PM
I ordered two maximas from them, which both died within 14 days. I ordered a blue squamosa after that and it's still alive a couple weeks later. Hopefully it'll last now that I'm outside the 14 day guarantee...

anemoneguy
11/23/2016, 10:43 AM
I had my last 2 clams from there not make it as well as having aptasia on both shells.

Mirror Pond
11/23/2016, 06:47 PM
I ended up ordering both an ORA squamaosa and a derasa. The squamosa died on day 13 and the derasa is doing fine.

Orcus Varuna
11/24/2016, 07:13 AM
I bought a hippopus clam 3 days ago and the shape it arrived in was poor. The bag had drained of nearly all of the water and the water was cold. They put one 1 small heat pack in a large box with 14 animals. With the circumstance being what it was I had no choice but to inspect for pests, brush and send him for a dunk. Also, it appeared by the looks of the box that UPS took liberties with the phrase "live animals enclosed, handle with care"... Much to my surprise though the clam has opened up nicely BUT has some significant bleaching (no gaping though!!!). I called LA and they were nice enough to extend the guarantee but I hate loosing ANY critter. Overall if I order a clam from LA again I will be sure to order a shipped from ORA clam as I live in Florida and I know they pack their animals VERY well...

Enisimijay
12/18/2016, 07:25 PM
I recently purchased a Maxima Ultra Blue from liveaquaria.com and have had it about 4 days now. so far it seems to be doing well but it looks like the pictures they had of some of the first grade and I figured since clams from them was being discussed here I would link a couple pics of it and some with more experience can tell me what it seems I have actually gotten. Regardless, the pattern is real nice but its got more dark areas than expected.

http://imgur.com/fndfaKl
http://imgur.com/kXr3amj

same picture taken from my phone during my day lights which is a blue led strip running across the back third of the tank and current satelite marine pro towards the front.

schnebbles
12/20/2016, 07:59 PM
I had a maxima who died within a day. I thought it was probably my fault. I feel bad when I order stuff and it dies :(

jda
12/30/2016, 05:56 PM
Add me to the list of two dead clams from them. Derasa and a Squamosa... hardly anythign difficult. They were mostly dead in the bag and did not last the night. LA were good, as always, about refund, but that does not make it OK.

I think that I am out on any of their clams and SPS until get go back to the Radiums. Some of the SPS that I got were suspect as well.

hobineros
01/03/2017, 12:27 PM
Funny I would read this post today -- I just received my Blue Maxima from ORA on Saturday. It is doing well so far.

When I opened the box and the foam cooler -- I remarked to my old lady that it was so COLD! She even felt it and said it was cold. Live in Miami , so its not like the thing was sent to Alaska and back.

I would venture a guess -- ORA taped the heater pack to the lid and the bag with the clam / water was about 8" in the bottom of the box. The bag never made contact to heater. I don't think the heater pack is warm enough to passively heat the entire volume of the cooler box.

Anyhow -- Real reason I was replying is -- I've spent about 400$ since Dec15 at LA and I have a royal gramma and now this clam to show for it. Sure, they have refunded my money and this or that -- But honestly 400$ and now about 19 days worth of my time, I could have gone locally spent that much money and had a ton of $h!t to show for it.

I hope this clam makes it -- If it doesn't I will never touch LA fish/inverts or coral again.

jda
01/04/2017, 05:43 PM
The heat packs quit working when all of the O is used up in the box. Then, when you open it, they start to work again.

rsepiphyte
01/17/2017, 07:01 AM
Glad I have read this thread as I was getting ready to order some clams. I may wait until the weather warms up before doing so. Thanks for the great input.

hobineros
01/27/2017, 07:41 AM
The heat packs quit working when all of the O is used up in the box. Then, when you open it, they start to work again.

Kind of defeats the whole purpose of keeping the box warm no? Lol.

Good news -- clam still alive. Doing well.

jda
01/27/2017, 09:32 AM
They don't put them in there to help keep the box warm. If they did, the inverts would get really hot and suffer. They put them in there so that people on the other side, when the open the box, feel good about their purchase.

mlew
02/06/2017, 08:16 AM
I've always been wary about ordering clams online. Not just the shipping part, but I like to be able to see their reaction to shadow, condition of their foot/mantle and check for pests on their shell.

Never pulled the trigger from LA. Any other vendors out there with a better reputation?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

DasCamel
02/18/2017, 09:13 AM
I just got a small Maxima from them. Been two weeks, in my eyes looks good.

Retracts to changes in light, tissues look intact, shell looks healthy. Arrived well packaged and in good condition.

ca1ore
02/18/2017, 08:19 PM
I have almost always bought clams locally. They just don't seem to ship well at all. Couldn't resist the Coco's maximas though, so bought one from DD late last week. So far, so good. It's in my frag tank under 350 PAR LED, so we shall see.

z3speed4me
03/07/2017, 10:54 AM
Trying clam round two!

I ordered a 4" Derasa today for delivery tomorrow, trying out Biota as the new vendor I've seen pop up instead of ORA... we shall see what happens, but I am really hoping he fares better than the Maxima last year that didn't make it a past 2 weeks.

laga77
03/08/2017, 08:47 AM
I will never order from LA/DD again. They kill way too many clams.

z3speed4me
03/08/2017, 02:34 PM
Well this guy after ~8 hours is ok thus far, had tons of rubble connected to his foot... I have him in a little dish with a bunch of other rubble rock. I'll see what happens over the next few days / weeks.

rsepiphyte
03/13/2017, 02:41 PM
I just purchased a maxima clam from them, unfortunately there was a delay in delivery on their end and the clam arrived in cold water after being in the packing container for 2 days. It has lasted 5 days but today it is gaping. I am quite sure it isn't going to make it. :sad2:

lovetoclown
03/16/2017, 09:27 PM
I just got a derasa yesterday from them. Seemed to start opening up and looked good. 24 hours it looked like it opened so wide it tore itself apart.

ca1ore
03/17/2017, 12:38 PM
My max is still good after one month.

z3speed4me
03/22/2017, 06:41 AM
2 weeks today.... so far so good.

On Friday the 17th it actually dropped the foot on it's own and got out of my rock rubble dish. Saturday morning it was opened wider than ever. Hoping thing still keep going well.

Reefers4U
03/22/2017, 12:23 PM
I received two clams from them infested with pyramid snails.

z3speed4me
03/23/2017, 08:04 AM
POSSIBLY spoke too soon... last night it was gaping randomly, but this morning, inhalant siphon totally shut again which was great to see However the mantle seemed a bit pinched and wasn't responding well to shadows. Early morning lights just turning on so hard to say definitively but hoping it was just starting to "wake up".

I'll see when I get home, but I am already prepared. I can get tons of SPS to grow just fine but cant keep a derasa ughhh so upsetting.

z3speed4me
03/24/2017, 06:13 AM
And just like that... unfortunately I have no idea what happened, but it's done. VERY fast too, went from super extended to gaping and pinched, then gone when I woke up this morning.

Scraped it out and going to bleach the shell to put on a bathroom shelf or something.

jda
03/24/2017, 07:20 AM
Sorry to hear that. There is something happening there. The last batch of frags that I got also all died. I have not had anything good come from them since they went from the Radiums to the Radions. I think that they might be on my no-go list now.

z3speed4me
03/28/2017, 10:44 AM
I had an elegance that just absolutely melted lately too; had a gall crab in it when delivered too :(

Yea I may stick to my local places for a bit, although I've never had issues with fish from them.

blueclam99
04/01/2017, 01:30 PM
Recently I have good experience with the clams from DiverDen. Several weeks ago I bought the 4" Biota cultured Derasa with tiger stripes markings. The clam has already added 1/4" new shell growth. I bought another 4 1/4" derasa from DD four days ago. I just found out that this added 1/16" new shell growth. I've had too much luck with ORA derasa clams regardless from Liveaquari or Petco in my system over the years. I am very happy with their new cultured clams from Biota.