PDA

View Full Version : Triton report: Micronutrient-Overdose / contamination

Ricardo18
10/12/2016, 01:50 PM
My first Triton report showed a high level of Selenium and their suggested cause was "Micro Nutrient overdose/contamination"
What could this be coming from? I currently only dose Acro Power , and not a lot of it.
What could they mean by "Micro Nutrient"?
...any thoughts?

dave.m
10/12/2016, 02:28 PM
Micro-nutrient usually means that it is an element that never appears in any great quantity in Nature, but is nonetheless a valid nutrient for the animals your tank. Quite possibly both your salt mix plus supplements are putting more selenium into your tank than can be consumed. Selenium may also have been added to some prepackaged foods you use. Check the ingredient lists of everything you add to your tank to see if you can find where the excess selenium is coming from.

I don't know of any specific problem you might encounter in having slightly elevated levels of selenium. I don't know of any way to filter for it specifically other than dilution through water changes (which won't help much if you have bad batch of salt mix that contains too much selenium).

Dave.M

Ricardo18
10/12/2016, 04:52 PM
Thank you Dave..Your insight,as usual, is very helpful.
The third suggestion on their list of things to check was "contaminated salt"

chris o
10/13/2016, 04:30 AM
How do you check for contaminated salt?

Chris

Ricardo18
10/13/2016, 06:32 AM
How do you check for contaminated salt?

Chris

One would have to mix up a small batch of salt water and send the sample off to Triton. They have told me that Red Sea Coral Pro does have higher SE than other mixes.