PDA

View Full Version : Potentially bad aiptasia removal idea

Moort82
10/12/2016, 02:36 PM
So like many people I've got the odd aiptasia which I wish wasn't there. Now in the same way I know not to poke a tiger I don't believe any of the normal manual/chemical removal methods do anything but make them spread. I've seen countless times, whenever you go near one they spore and multiply fast. So this leads me to my thought, if sporing is the issue, is it possible to milk the aip before removal. My thoughts are to pee it off with a syphon tube during a water change and suck as many out as spores as possible and also if able snip it off at the base. In this way it would leave the base which is much less problematic and perhaps kalk paste would finish it off.

So mental thought or possible solution? The other "safer" test would be to stick a small bore pipe over it so that it has to climb it and can be removed easier.

Sk8r
10/12/2016, 02:52 PM
They don't spore. They spawn, much as fish do.

Moort82
10/13/2016, 05:10 AM

So does that mean that when you annoy them, the gametes that comes out won't create lots of tiny ones elsewhere? Ie they need both sexes to spawn at the same time (and not saying that when one does spawn, that others don't sense it and do the same).

jayball
10/13/2016, 12:09 PM

While they do not spore any sized piece that is released when it is disturbed can become a new anemone. Not the same, but similar in practice.

EMeyer
10/13/2016, 12:45 PM
Aiptasia are animals. There arent any "spores". In theory they could spawn, but in practice they dont spawn in aquaria.

In your aquarium they reproduce by pedal laceration -- ripping off tiny pieces of their foot (the pedal disc; what they're attached with) each of which grows into a clone of the parent.

So anything you do to disturb them makes it likely theyll spread. Also, if you leave them alone, they'll spread.

Peppermint shrimp or filefish! These always work for me.

vashawn
10/13/2016, 01:18 PM
the Peppermint shrimp or filefish didnt work for me.
I bought a small pool took whatever inver and coral i could put it in the pool and dropped the salinity really really low.
I killed all the pest i had in my tank including every single aiptasia.
its been over a year and not 1 return.
No fish was harm during this lol

AboutAcans
10/14/2016, 12:46 AM
They can also pedal and reproduce asexually. Any bits that are left or float off have the capability to create new aiptasia. But with the siphon idea that's like holding a plastic cup out in the rain. Most people give up on peppermint shrimp because they buy the wrong kind (learned this from R2L). There's Lysmata Wurdemanni and Lysmata Rathbunae. Wurdemanni are the ones that basically live on nothing BUT aiptasia. Rathbunae won't touch them. Difference is the Rathbunae have tails that are more black with little to no striping. Wurdemanni are the same the whole way down; with clear striped ends to their tails. Some people pass Rathbunae off as Wurdemanni because they're about half the cost.

tlr
10/15/2016, 04:27 PM
If you only have a few and they are small I've had good luck with getting them to retract and then sealing them with superglue.

blasterman789
10/21/2016, 07:22 AM
2watt blue laser. Very satisfying watching them burn and crackle.

Osteoclast
10/21/2016, 07:55 AM
I had a Klein's butterfly for years that was reef safe and ate all my aptasia within a few weeks of its introduction. After it died my aptasia returned as they were throughout my system (sump overflow etc). I then splurged about a year ago on a Tinker's butterfly and this fish has been very hardy, has done well and has eaten all the aptasia in my display. The Tinkeri complex of butterflies are reef safe with caution and quite beautiful. Mine has been a model citizen in my SPS/LPS system.

My experience with chemical methods of aptasia control has been poor. The laser method might be effective but you have major risks health wise with the use of a laser that need to be carefully studied. Some though have had success with lasers in pest eradication. However, it is not worth it in my view when a butterfly can do the job well. Bergia also seem to have their proponents although I have never tried them. Best of luck with whatever you decide to do.

Janetsplanet
11/01/2016, 10:27 PM
Don't try this without some research and careful planning, but I "took care" of aptasia with very hot water in a turkey baster. Luckily, they were in areas that didn't have coral too near.

The key was to go super slow with the release of water out of the baster, and get as close to the nem as possible. The hot water dispersed pretty quickly into the water column in my 54G. The nems shriveled up, let go of the rock, and then I sucked them up with the baster. I didn't see any additional ones pop up, and no obvious negative effects.

Of course, this is risky, and likely riskier if your aquarium is smaller.

cubbyman60
11/02/2016, 01:12 AM
Has anyone trying to inject them with vinegar? I've read some people have tried this with xenia as well with some success.

Mishri
11/08/2016, 02:38 PM
kalkwasser paste, put it in an oral syringe, and feed it to the aiptasia.. worked for me. in the past. You want to get it in their mouth, not on the tentacles.

(There are also commercial versions of that.. i believe aiptasia x is one)

JamesHolt
11/14/2016, 03:03 AM
I use the hose method like you are talking about, 8mm tubing..
Get the suction started away from it and creep up on it, suck it up into the hose.
The tube I use is hard plastic so I can use the end to cut it loose from the rock and scrub the spot it was sitting on..
Did my tank a few months ago and haven't had any reappear..

Moort82
11/14/2016, 05:37 AM
I use the hose method like you are talking about, 8mm tubing..
Get the suction started away from it and creep up on it, suck it up into the hose.
The tube I use is hard plastic so I can use the end to cut it loose from the rock and scrub the spot it was sitting on..
Did my tank a few months ago and haven't had any reappear..

Good to know thanks. I tried this with a couple and so far I haven't seen signs of them coming back. With the bigger one I was lucky and could remove the rock it was one, which I didn't know was possible until I went to suck it up.

KeeperAtlantis
11/17/2016, 05:31 PM
Anyone ever try Aiptasia-x? I've had some success in using with the needle applicator (I turn off the flow before use). If I had to do it over I would just get a $6.00 pep shrimp.

dallen2233
11/18/2016, 07:58 PM
Don't try this without some research and careful planning, but I "took care" of aptasia with very hot water in a turkey baster. Luckily, they were in areas that didn't have coral too near.

This is a similar method I use, except I use a ketchup bottle with a piece of tubing on it to guide the stream.

Mrs. Music
11/19/2016, 04:14 PM
Lysmata Wurdemanni...years ago I had a nightmare experience with these guys attacking my BTA. I now have a very aggressive egg laying couple of percussion though. I wonder if they could defend their BTA? Anyone else see this?

Khow
11/22/2016, 02:20 PM
I have been successful using my diy coral feeder and boiling water. I have had five aptaisia polyps in two separate incidences. The boiling water method seemed to work well. My coral feeder is made from a syringe, a small section (1/2") hose for a joint and yankaur hard suction wand from work....

organism
11/22/2016, 03:27 PM
Has anyone trying to inject them with vinegar? I've read some people have tried this with xenia as well with some success.

This.

I use a hypodermic needle to inject them with boiling vinegar and it nukes them along with any babies that might be inside. Every other method I've tried from kalk to laser ends with them growing back.

Spiffy
11/28/2016, 08:12 AM
Aiptasia are animals. There arent any "spores". In theory they could spawn, but in practice they dont spawn in aquaria.

In your aquarium they reproduce by pedal laceration -- ripping off tiny pieces of their foot (the pedal disc; what they're attached with) each of which grows into a clone of the parent.

So anything you do to disturb them makes it likely theyll spread. Also, if you leave them alone, they'll spread.

Peppermint shrimp or filefish! These always work for me.

+1

Peppermint Shrimp did it for me. I haven't seen one for years. But now that I have found a few on my rocks...

Zatoichi
12/22/2016, 12:43 AM
I have had great luck injecting them with vinegar sometimes you need repeated treatments but most of the time they Melt Away one of my friends just recommended injecting them with very hot and vinegar :-)

Sent from my SM-J700T1 using Tapatalk

NeverlosT
12/31/2016, 10:45 AM
Ive tried Aptasia-X, a laser, and peppermint shrimp.

The laser is satisfying but wont win the war. It does help though to kill an aptasia that is growing right beside your favorite coral.

The Aptasia-X kind of works but if the infestation is already bad, there is no way that you will get them all with this.

The peppermint shrimp seem to be "kind of" working. They seem to eat a few aptasia but certainly arent running around my tank to find them and eat them.

If they dont do it, next up will be a copperband.

I have watched aptasia release planula (I think is the name), basically a baby aptasia from their mouths. They are truly a well evolved species, tough to kill..

ktownhero
01/01/2017, 06:16 AM
I put pure white vinegar in a target feeding tube and stuff it in the mouth area and inject. Works well for me and I even did it the other day with one right between a bunch of Zoas...The next day the Zoas were fine but no aiptasia!

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

surferarnie
01/05/2017, 01:47 PM
Aiptasia x or joes juice will kill them quick.

mickey204
01/05/2017, 02:21 PM
Berghia nudibranchs.

They only eat Aiptasia, and have always worked guaranteed.

/End thread.

125mph
01/09/2017, 02:02 PM
Anyone ever try Aiptasia-x? I've had some success in using with the needle applicator (I turn off the flow before use). If I had to do it over I would just get a $6.00 pep shrimp.

I have used Aiptasia-X many times over the last few years and it works great!,... However, there are so many aiptasias in my tank that are hidden from view.. even when I get all the ones that are visible, they still appear again after a few weeks.. I think the hidden ones spawn new ones.. I once checked my overflow which is completely dark and found like 10 aiptasia's in it...

Trying to figure out how to kill them all but have not had luck.

Moort82
01/10/2017, 05:19 AM
We had an open day when I was at the lfs and had the rep for aiptasia X nukes some in a weir. Let's just say that 2 weeks later there were many times the amount so my confidence in that and all other similar products isn't very high.