PDA

View Full Version : Pulsating Xenias Not Opening

Reeferman1019
10/13/2016, 09:37 AM
My pulsating Xenias aren't opening. Had the coral for about month and half. Water parameters are all in check with API. They used to open then slowly closed up. Please see pics.359816359817

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

shadowmonster
10/13/2016, 11:11 AM
What exactly are your parameters? Xenia can be very finicky sometimes.

vashawn
10/13/2016, 11:27 AM
it could be to much water flow!
try moving it to less flow

Reeferman1019
10/13/2016, 12:34 PM
What exactly are your parameters? Xenia can be very finicky sometimes.

Water is good no other issues with any corals except Xenia. I use Red Sea pro do WC once a week.

Nitrates 0
Phosphate 0
Salinity 1.025

Reeferman1019
10/13/2016, 12:36 PM
it could be to much water flow!
try moving it to less flow

I run a AQUACLEAR 50 with rubble rock inside and some GFO. My pump is a Jeabo pp4. I have Xenia right by the pump and some down steam away from pump low area of tank and same issue.

Reeferman1019
10/13/2016, 01:13 PM
Think they are dying? Or dead?

Preble
10/13/2016, 01:28 PM
They look dead to me
I'd chunk them and get a new one they are too cheap and available to risk your tank

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk

shadowmonster
10/13/2016, 01:45 PM
Water is good no other issues with any corals except Xenia. I use Red Sea pro do WC once a week.

Nitrates 0
Phosphate 0
Salinity 1.025

What about your Alkalinity? If this isn't kept steady it's been known to cause certain corals to become grumpy. (Xenia is one of them)

Reeferman1019
10/13/2016, 01:54 PM
What about your Alkalinity? If this isn't kept steady it's been known to cause certain corals to become grumpy. (Xenia is one of them)

Do you think there are dead? Both my Cal and Alk are in correct ranges. I have good coraline algae growth and from my LFS they test both and are in good ranges. My weekly WCs supply both is what I'm guessing. Other corals are doing good I run a AI Prime mostly the blues, UV, Violet from 11am-8pm on a lower intensity setting due to the prime being so powerful for my tank.

Reeferman1019
10/14/2016, 10:44 PM
bump

enchelycore808
10/20/2016, 03:27 AM
Have u always used gfo? Have you replaced it recently? I don't know if it's the same, but I used to have a tank full of Xenia until I added a big bag of chemipure to the tank. Within a couple weeks they were all gone. Maybe it stripped the water too much.

Reeferman1019
10/20/2016, 07:17 AM
Have u always used gfo? Have you replaced it recently? I don't know if it's the same, but I used to have a tank full of Xenia until I added a big bag of chemipure to the tank. Within a couple weeks they were all gone. Maybe it stripped the water too much.

I do use GFO

Optionman
10/20/2016, 08:42 AM
i have so much xenia i cant give it away. if u live in the nyc/philly area u can have as much as u want for free. message me.

Reeferman1019
10/20/2016, 09:08 AM
i have so much xenia i cant give it away. if u live in the nyc/philly area u can have as much as u want for free. message me.

live in FL lol but thanks man

Reeferman1019
10/20/2016, 09:10 AM
can GFO hamper Xenia?

enchelycore808
10/20/2016, 11:32 AM
I do use GFO

I know u use gfo. I was asking if u changed it recently. I noticed on my system, if I stripped the water too fast some of my softies take a hit. My Xenia actually died off. My kenyas and Nepthea also shrink down and don't open for awhile. Just something to look in to. Good luck with your Xenia problem.

Reeferman1019
10/20/2016, 11:39 AM
I know u use gfo. I was asking if u changed it recently. I noticed on my system, if I stripped the water too fast some of my softies take a hit. My Xenia actually died off. My kenyas and Nepthea also shrink down and don't open for awhile. Just something to look in to. Good luck with your Xenia problem.

Just removed GFO it has been in the tank for about a month and was time to change it but I just removed the tea bag and see what happens. I will also perform a WC this evening. Everything else in tank is doing good thus far.

Reeferman1019
10/20/2016, 02:16 PM

From those pics are my Xenia dead? As of today they are the same way.

jayball
11/01/2016, 02:35 PM
From those pics are my Xenia dead? As of today they are the same way.

No, when they die they will turn to mush and decompose. I believe it was asked earlier but what is your Alk?

Reeferman1019
11/01/2016, 02:42 PM
No, when they die they will turn to mush and decompose. I believe it was asked earlier but what is your Alk?

the Xenia are the same as in the previous photos. I am now going to LFS and get a complete water test. I have also noticed some of my LPS hammers, frogspawn and torches not opening up all the way they just open a little and hang it like that all day and then shrink up at nights. Something isn't right with my parameters I think

mamonako
11/24/2016, 10:39 PM
https://youtu.be/79fZXn4w_wk

https://youtu.be/2KYvKKWu5zA

https://youtu.be/b1wAPTJulBE

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Reeferman1019
11/24/2016, 10:55 PM
those are nice! How do you make them get like that? Mine are dead and gone. I just started back using GFO and Carbon. Not sure how mines just closed up and never opened back up and now dead.

crawlerman
12/09/2016, 02:46 PM
I think you are starving them. if you truly have 0 phosphates and 0 nitrates then they have no food.

Reeferman1019
12/09/2016, 03:18 PM
I think you are starving them. if you truly have 0 phosphates and 0 nitrates then they have no food.

Got some new pulsating Xenias and now starting back using GFO and Carbon. Along with that dosing a .5 ml of Aquavitro Fuel once a day for a 10 gallon tank. So far the results are good and hope nothing happens to them knock on wood. And the standard weekly WC.

Zatoichi
12/21/2016, 08:41 PM
Check your iodide levels

Sent from my SM-J700T1 using Tapatalk

Reeferman1019
12/21/2016, 08:43 PM
Check your iodide levels

Should it be high or low? Aquavitro Fuel has iodine in it

Zatoichi
12/21/2016, 08:47 PM
From my recollection is usually low but test

Reeferman1019
12/21/2016, 08:48 PM
From my recollection is usually low but test

Ok

crawlerman
01/11/2017, 06:46 AM
You are starving your corals, shut down the GFO and only use it if your phosphates get high. Soft corals like the water a little dirty. You want detectable nitrates and phosphates.

Reeferman1019
01/11/2017, 07:14 AM
You are starving your corals, shut down the GFO and only use it if your phosphates get high. Soft corals like the water a little dirty. You want detectable nitrates and phosphates.

Ok will stop GFO, but don't see why that's a concern I only use a small amount

crawlerman
01/11/2017, 02:13 PM
it only takes a small amount to strip a 10g aquarium. Corals need nitrates and phosphates to live. If your tests are accurate you have neither. If you want to run a ULN system you need to be adding all of the supplements. You may want to up your feeding as well until you have detectable levels. Are you getting any growth from that birdsnest? Is it pale or is the color normal? Do you have any algae growth? The fuel should help.

Reeferman1019
01/11/2017, 10:51 PM
it only takes a small amount to strip a 10g aquarium. Corals need nitrates and phosphates to live. If your tests are accurate you have neither. If you want to run a ULN system you need to be adding all of the supplements. You may want to up your feeding as well until you have detectable levels. Are you getting any growth from that birdsnest? Is it pale or is the color normal? Do you have any algae growth? The fuel should help.

Ok, birdsnest is doing good normal color. Do have algae on substrate.

crawlerman
01/13/2017, 06:17 AM
In some systems xenia will have explosive growth and spread all over, in others it will not live. I had a 75g that was doing great, had mix of softies, LPS and sps (a few montipora and a tricolor acro). I tried putting xenia in 3 times and it melted away within a few weeks. Never did figure out why. I figured it might be some trace element I was low on but didn't test. But if all of your other corals are thriving I wouldn't start adding random supplements. But either way you do want some nutrients in the tank. Nitrates right around 5 and phosphates around .03ish. If you don't have a low range Hannah Phosphorous checker you could be in the right range with phosphates but your test kit won't detect low range. If it's in the budget I would recommend getting a Hannah low range phosphorous checker. Make sure its the one that test in PPB.

Reeferman1019
01/13/2017, 01:35 PM
In some systems xenia will have explosive growth and spread all over, in others it will not live. I had a 75g that was doing great, had mix of softies, LPS and sps (a few montipora and a tricolor acro). I tried putting xenia in 3 times and it melted away within a few weeks. Never did figure out why. I figured it might be some trace element I was low on but didn't test. But if all of your other corals are thriving I wouldn't start adding random supplements. But either way you do want some nutrients in the tank. Nitrates right around 5 and phosphates around .03ish. If you don't have a low range Hannah Phosphorous checker you could be in the right range with phosphates but your test kit won't detect low range. If it's in the budget I would recommend getting a Hannah low range phosphorous checker. Make sure its the one that test in PPB.

ok I will look into those testers really appreciate the good info :D