PDA

View Full Version : Pepermint shrimp breeding

Mashaw
10/14/2016, 02:48 AM
Hi just wondering if I could ask afew questions about breeding, Iv a
Had a look through some of the threads on here but am not really seeing any answers to my questions

what is the general survival rate for settlement? Iv heard less then 1%?

And iv read that peps are still not able to be bread on a large scale due to the massive fry deaths, is this true? Or have things changed?

Thanks

ThRoewer
10/14/2016, 11:31 PM
Never tried it myself, but there is a little book out about keeping and breeding them: How to Raise & Train Your Peppermint Shrimp (https://www.amazon.com/Raise-Train-Your-Peppermint-Shrimp/dp/0966778448/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1476509413&sr=1-1&keywords=peppermint+shrimp)

gogo7
10/14/2016, 11:53 PM
not so much a matter of times changing, it's the tools available that weren't available before. the space, time, money and labour are still there to deal with.

2smokes
10/15/2016, 12:03 AM
Larvae is pelagic thats why the survival rate is verry low in a normal aquarium but in a kreisel aquarium things change a lot .

ThRoewer
10/15/2016, 12:52 AM
A Kreisel Larvae tank is the key to success, not just with shrimp, but also with fish.
I had a real breakthrough when I switched my fish larvae tanks to a kreisel form.
Which kreisel form is best depends on the species.

I linked a pretty good article in this thread: Tank designs for the larval culture of marine fish (http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?p=24593754#post24593754)

The Modified planktonkreisel tank design is probably the best for shrimp.

Mashaw
10/15/2016, 02:13 AM
Ok cool well I was just wondering as I did a lot of research into the breeding of peps and I was seeing the same common mistakes and or problems that people were having so I worked back wards and built my own system,
It is running arm and I have fry in them but my first batch was only a small one, about 40 or so and Iv only lost about 5 fry and I'm at day 10.

I guess because it's a very new system and unlike anything Iv seen befor I'm just trying to get an idea of percentage losses by about day 10' I'm not so much trying to breed the shrimp it's more of a test for the system itself as its only a 2 tank system I just want to see if my efforts in building a new style of system was worth it and is worth it befor I go building a big 8-12 bay system

Mashaw
10/15/2016, 02:19 AM
Most info I could find was from posts on forums that were from 5-10 years ago, so if anyone could give me a rough time percentage survival rate to settlement now that would be great as I can not find anything

Mashaw
10/15/2016, 02:26 AM
The new system Iv set up has been taken from a number of different breeding styles of system and build into one.

I think Iv managed to combat these problems

1. Cut down daily maintains to about 10mins per day totally on the whole system, which inc feeding, cleaning, water changes and setting up feeds for the next day

2. Sorted out the death by bad water issue

3. From what I have read, reduced percentage of losses upto day 10 by a fair bit

And a number of other things

ThRoewer
10/15/2016, 02:54 AM
With shrimp larva you want also make sure to watch iodine levels and replenish them if needed.

Mashaw
10/15/2016, 09:58 AM
Yeah cool, thanks for the advice

Mashaw
10/28/2016, 02:04 PM
Needing some help, Iv set up this new style of system and its working very well, with minimal death, but as soon as I get to around the day 9-10 mark my death rate goes through the roof, can any one shed some light on this?

Mashaw
10/28/2016, 02:05 PM
Why is it at this stage things seem to go bad? And not just for me, Iv noticed a lot of people have a lot of death around this time? Tia

tri4god
10/28/2016, 11:58 PM
I would love to give this a shot.

ThRoewer
10/29/2016, 04:22 AM
Needing some help, Iv set up this new style of system and its working very well, with minimal death, but as soon as I get to around the day 9-10 mark my death rate goes through the roof, can any one shed some light on this?

Why is it at this stage things seem to go bad? And not just for me, Iv noticed a lot of people have a lot of death around this time? Tia

It could be a molding issue between larva stages. Are you making sure the Iodine level is high enough? That is usually one of the problems you run into with shrimp.

Mashaw
10/31/2016, 12:49 PM
No, totally forgot about that, do they really suck it up? The fry system gets a water change twice a week

ThRoewer
10/31/2016, 01:19 PM
I'm not sure how they take it up, just that iodine is important for molding.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Mashaw
11/01/2016, 01:48 AM
Hmm thanks much for the info, I seem to be getting really good results up to the mark, next to no deaths, then on the one night just about everyone of them die.

Can you suggest any other foods I might be able to give them other them Rotifers and green water and BBS?

ThRoewer
11/01/2016, 02:24 AM
The defined point in time where they all die points to a molding issue of some kind.

As far as I know, shrimp and shrimp larva hunt more by using tactile and chemical than optical senses. So as long as a food "tastes" right and is in reach they should go for it. I would give micro pellets or finely crushed flake food a shot. You could also try small sized frozen food.
The only thing to watch with these feeds is the water quality.

Chad Vossen
11/01/2016, 10:19 AM
You can raise the peppermints in a standard 10 gallon tank, with just a heater and air bubbles in the corner. Feed them baby brine shrimp and siphon out any detritus that builds up. After a couple weeks, you can even feed them frozen foods, and they'll pick it up off the bottom and carry it around with them. I've never had iodine issues, as it's already in our salt mix. Highly unlikely your water is deficient in it.
Biggest problems you'll encounter is with the late stage larvae breaking off arms. Bubbles are like wrecking balls to those guys. If an arm breaks off, it takes 3 molts to grow back, which is 12 days or so. They will only settle if they have all their arms, so it can be frustrating when you check and find your biggest larvae missing a leg. lol

Mashaw
11/02/2016, 12:43 AM
The defined point in time where they all die points to a molding issue of some kind.

As far as I know, shrimp and shrimp larva hunt more by using tactile and chemical than optical senses. So as long as a food "tastes" right and is in reach they should go for it. I would give micro pellets or finely crushed flake food a shot. You could also try small sized frozen food.
The only thing to watch with these feeds is the water quality.

This is very helpful as I didn't know there used more of a tactical style rather then optical, I will take your advice and maybe try and add a little flake and see if that makes a difference

As far as water quality goes, this is not somthing that I really need to pay to much attention to as the system Iv designed has a sump that it runs on with a very large water volume and has twice a week water changes.

I did take this into consideration when I started to encounter these issues but it came down to the face that I have the same deaths at the same time from all my batches and also all of my breeding shrimp are in tanks on the same system and they are not showing any issues

Mashaw
11/02/2016, 12:48 AM
You can raise the peppermints in a standard 10 gallon tank, with just a heater and air bubbles in the corner. Feed them baby brine shrimp and siphon out any detritus that builds up. After a couple weeks, you can even feed them frozen foods, and they'll pick it up off the bottom and carry it around with them. I've never had iodine issues, as it's already in our salt mix. Highly unlikely your water is deficient in it.
Biggest problems you'll encounter is with the late stage larvae breaking off arms. Bubbles are like wrecking balls to those guys. If an arm breaks off, it takes 3 molts to grow back, which is 12 days or so. They will only settle if they have all their arms, so it can be frustrating when you check and find your biggest larvae missing a leg. lol

I know it can be done in a small tank with air line and bubbles with constant water changes ect ect, but the system I'm running is very different and I'm trying to get away from the hours and hours of maintaince every day as I'm trying a new style of system when I can start doing these on a large scale.

So far to date, I am not seeing anything that points in the direction of the system it's self being the problem as in the first few batches, I did tests every day for about 6weeks and all readings and temps ect ect came back with acceptable results

Thou I will try and add some crushed up flake to the mix and see how it goes

Mashaw
11/02/2016, 12:57 AM
As Iv said in a few posts this system I'm running is a totally new style of breeding design so I am able to breed in bulk.
I spend along time test and changing the system till I got it right and ready for the first batch, now after Iv had a few batches run through the system Iv got is right afew afew little tweaks.

I'm close and I know I'm close to mass production of them but there is something small stopping me.
I really do think it's something to do with food so I increased the amount of foods in the tank, now this batch with the increased food amount I am on day 4-5 and I have already noticed a stable difference in the fry compared with my last batches.

It's have been a long process of elimination but I really do think it's the food or lack of.
My normal death day, so to speak will be in about 4-5 days so I guess I will have to see how I go and if it fails again, I will just go back to the drawing board and try again.

I really do believe there is a big market for tank bread peps, will here is australia there is anyway and I'd like to try and fill that void and try to relieve a bit of pressure off the reefs.

I'm not sure how much of a marke there is in America for tank bread peps but if I can get this I would love to be able to pass on my final working system design for mass production for someone in America to do

JonezNReef
11/02/2016, 12:45 PM
Sounds awesome! Have been and will continue to follow this.

Mashaw
11/09/2016, 01:39 AM
And once again all fry have died at around the day 8-9 mark

Any suggestions???

sabeypets
11/21/2016, 07:42 PM
Its either a feeding, water quality, or airflow issue.

Mashaw
11/29/2016, 02:23 AM
Air flow is on spot, water cond is perfect, I have a sneaky feeling it's food, but everything I have read, tells me to fed BBS, iv done this over the last 4-5 batches but have had no luck at all