PDA

View Full Version : Rimless tank - glass thickness

malvin
10/14/2016, 04:09 AM
Hey All,

I am planning to build (or have it built) a 100cm x 40cm x 40cm (~40'' x 16'' x 16'' ) rimless tank from glass.
Since I want to have lights on the side (with those arms attaching to the glass) and for "visual" reasons I really want it rimless :)
Question is, what thickness should be used? I was told by a friend who makes aquariums sometimes, that 8 mm (it is somewhere between 1/4 and 3/8'' ) would be ok.
What "cheap" options are there to secure the edges what are not eurobraces?
The armclips of the light could handle the 8mm thickness :)
thanks

rtparty
10/14/2016, 06:53 AM
While I can't give you all the technical formulas or anything like that, I would ALWAYS overbuild a tank. I recently bought a used Cadlights tank and researched the thickness they used since I was worried about it.

I wouldn't go with anything less than 10mm. I'd probably go with 12mm just to be extra safe. I've never once built something in this hobby and said to myself, "Wish I would have built it weaker..."

PBAF
10/14/2016, 05:34 PM
Maybe give one of the builders a call, and get some input from the pros.
I have talked to Crystal Dynamics a couple times for input, nice guys.

uncleof6
10/14/2016, 09:05 PM
For safety: 12mm sides, 12mm bottom. Bottom needs a 9mm - 12mm bottom euro-brace (internal.) Iffy would be 9mm sides , same for the bottom.

9mm is under built; 12mm is overbuilt. Happy medium would be 10mm glass, which is hard to find, but out there... (Glass Cages is one possible source)

Ron Reefman
10/17/2016, 05:41 AM
I made a 65g rimless shallow reef tank (4'x2's14") out of 3/8th inch glass about 5 years ago and it's still looks perfect.

uncleof6
10/18/2016, 10:46 AM
I made a 65g rimless shallow reef tank (4'x2's14") out of 3/8th inch glass about 5 years ago and it's still looks perfect.

This roughly equates to an SF (not withstanding construction details, etc) of 9.35, so this is not at all remarkable. In other words, it is overbuilt. 6mm glass would be unsafely underbuilt; it isn't even close. However, it cannot serve as information indicating 9mm glass would be suitable for the tank in question in this thread.