PDA

View Full Version : Mushroom Coral not looking so hot

Walla2GSP
10/14/2016, 07:53 PM
So I suffered a tank crash 18 months ago just as I was starting a coral tank, and converted the tank to a external sump for my FOWLR tank. A couple months ago I got the urge to clean up the tank, build a sump, and try again with easy corals. As the water chemistry leveled off, one of my old mushroom coral popped it's head up off a rock in the corner. Today I moved it out of the corner and on to the bottom of a rock shelf. It looked like this when I picked it up and has stayed this way since. Is there anything I can do to save this, or is it pretty much gone?
http://i1268.photobucket.com/albums/jj568/jared_johnson8/20161014_180840_zpsnn24lvss.jpg

Betaktical
10/14/2016, 08:09 PM
Is that algae next to it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Grimreaperz
10/14/2016, 08:48 PM
More light.. it's reaching for light. And try to feed it small bits of stuff. But time will tell I had a mushroom look exactly like this that came on some LR I bought. After I got better lights and fed it a few times it started to look better. This is 3 months later

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161015/4cb06d2e9e01912259e18ba20e506ca9.jpg

This hairy was in worse shape only having a tiny bulb and it grew into this.

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161015/c28ad94080a2fd49c8d652b9892e843d.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

Walla2GSP
10/14/2016, 09:22 PM
Is that algae next to it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, it's part of what is left of the macro in the tank. The clean up crews have been getting rid of it slowly since I moved most of it to the sump for this tank.

Grimreaperz
10/14/2016, 09:22 PM
So I suffered a tank crash 18 months ago just as I was starting a coral tank, and converted the tank to a external sump for my FOWLR tank. A couple months ago I got the urge to clean up the tank, build a sump, and try again with easy corals. As the water chemistry leveled off, one of my old mushroom coral popped it's head up off a rock in the corner. Today I moved it out of the corner and on to the bottom of a rock shelf. It looked like this when I picked it up and has stayed this way since. Is there anything I can do to save this, or is it pretty much gone?
http://i1268.photobucket.com/albums/jj568/jared_johnson8/20161014_180840_zpsnn24lvss.jpg
Also what are your water parameters?

Walla2GSP
10/14/2016, 10:29 PM
Ammonia: 0-0.25ppm
Nitrite: 0ppm
Nitrate: 0-10ppm
Phosphates: 0-0.25ppm
Calcium: 425ppm
kH: 14
pH: 7.9
I don't have any trace elements tests at the moment. The ammonia and nitrates are a little out of wack because I was carbon dosing and went a little overboard, and I added a clean up crew and a ocellaris clown to the tank so it's coming out of a mini cycle.

Walla2GSP
10/14/2016, 11:21 PM
I have a frag rack halfway up the tank should I move the mushroom coral up there till I finish the new lights for the tank? or would it shock it giving it that much extra light all at once?

Walla2GSP
10/14/2016, 11:30 PM
... feed it small bits of stuff.... and fed it a few times it started to look better.

What do you feed mushrooms? I keep seeing debates on "feed"/ "don't feed its photosynthetic", but nobody ever says what a mushroom coral will eat other than "my giant mushroom coral ate my fish". One person recommended brine shrimp, and another recommended detritus from the bottom of the tank?

Grimreaperz
10/15/2016, 01:46 AM
What do you feed mushrooms? I keep seeing debates on "feed"/ "don't feed its photosynthetic", but nobody ever says what a mushroom coral will eat other than "my giant mushroom coral ate my fish". One person recommended brine shrimp, and another recommended detritus from the bottom of the tank?
I would find small Pod/mysis shrimp molts or just mash something up in a bit of tank water and target feed it. (Flake food, Pellets, frozen. Anything you have on hand) I just found stuff floating in my tank. Just enough to get some of the life back into it. Now that it's healthy again I don't feed it.

Just make sure your parameters are good and it's getting enough light where it is so it's mother stretching like that and it should be good with time.

anthonys51
10/15/2016, 06:58 PM
you dont have to feed that type of mushroom. not feeding it is 100 percent not the reason why its doing bad. your tank has too many nutrients, so feeding your mushroom will only make matters worse. its stretched out like that because its needs more light. this is an easy to keep mushrooms, it will grow in a large range of water conditions. so i dont think its the water.
can you please state what kind of light you have on the tank. also if its not led, when did you change them last

Walla2GSP
10/15/2016, 07:53 PM
I just have a T5HO and a 8500K Full-spectrum CFL on there at the moment, like I said I was using it to grow macroalgae for my other tanks so the lights are set up for macro not corals. I'm in the process of building a LED display for the tank. How do I offset nutrients, and is there way to detect them besides nitrates and phosphates?