PDA

View Full Version : Aquamaxx Skimmer Break in not working

chazman113
10/16/2016, 06:04 AM
Bought a Aquamaxx ConeS CO-2 a little over two weeks ago and I'm really having a hard time getting it to not overflow constantly. I almost had it working for about 24 hours a few days ago then put some new live rock /corals in and it went crazy again. Heres what I've been doing...

- Height adjustment all the way out
- Water level is a constant 9.5" which is in the recommended range
- I've just let about 10 gallons flow out of the skimmer cup into a bucket
- 20% Water change
- Replaced carbon and GFO

I'm not sure if continuing to just export the collection cup water is futile... It seems to be pretty clean water gushing out of this thing.

Anyone have suggestions?

Pablos RSM 450
10/16/2016, 09:04 AM
Bought a Aquamaxx ConeS CO-2 a little over two weeks ago and I'm really having a hard time getting it to not overflow constantly. I almost had it working for about 24 hours a few days ago then put some new live rock /corals in and it went crazy again. Heres what I've been doing...

- Height adjustment all the way out
- Water level is a constant 9.5" which is in the recommended range
- I've just let about 10 gallons flow out of the skimmer cup into a bucket
- 20% Water change
- Replaced carbon and GFO

I'm not sure if continuing to just export the collection cup water is futile... It seems to be pretty clean water gushing out of this thing.

Anyone have suggestions?

What size tank are you running it in and what is the bioload?

BANANAHANDS
10/16/2016, 09:24 AM
When you added love rock and coral did you use any epoxy or glue? I'm not sure about glue but I know for a fact that epoxy wreaks havoc on skimmers for a couple of days. Give it more time and try to make fine adjustments.
Before I broke down my last tank I had an Aquamaxx coneS1 and I loved it. Pulled lots of skimmate and it was near silent. I'm considering another one for my new tank.

Oldcabin
10/16/2016, 11:36 AM
I had a hard time with my CO2 as well, but now it's running great. Stick with the bucket method, it worked for me. After about 10-15 gallons it started to slow down and normalize. I was running the air wide open and raised up pretty high until it broke in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

chazman113
10/16/2016, 12:27 PM
When you added love rock and coral did you use any epoxy or glue? I'm not sure about glue but I know for a fact that epoxy wreaks havoc on skimmers for a couple of days. Give it more time and try to make fine adjustments.
Before I broke down my last tank I had an Aquamaxx coneS1 and I loved it. Pulled lots of skimmate and it was near silent. I'm considering another one for my new tank.
Ah! I added two whole sticks of epoxy glue, that must be it! I just went to Lowe's and got a 32 gallon brute trashcan. I'm going to have 24 gallons ready and just take it out of the skimmer till (hopefully) it stops

chazman113
10/16/2016, 01:39 PM
Dang 20 gallons later and it's still overflowing. I've lost the will to water change. Just gonna give it a few more days. Hopefully it was the epoxy and the carbon will suck some of it up. I'll probly change the carbon again soon. I have to keep the cup off or it splashes all over my timers, even with the lid on. On the bright side, it looks like a middle school science fair volcano.

Buzz1329
10/16/2016, 07:36 PM
Ah! I added two whole sticks of epoxy glue, that must be it! I just went to Lowe's and got a 32 gallon brute trashcan. I'm going to have 24 gallons ready and just take it out of the skimmer till (hopefully) it stops

Your skimmer will be overflowing for weeks with that much epoxy. You might want to lift portion of skimmer cup off body of skimmer to allow overflow to escape into sump without blowing out top of skimmer. Or you can turn skimmer off for a few days/weeks until effect of epoxy dissipates.

Good luck,

Mike

chazman113
10/17/2016, 05:33 AM
Yea, will probably change the carbon and water again if it doesn't clear up in a few days.

solitude127
10/17/2016, 10:33 AM
IMO, 9.5" is little deep for most skimmers. Try raising your skimmer an inch or inch and a half.

chazman113
10/19/2016, 06:15 AM
IMO, 9.5" is little deep for most skimmers. Try raising your skimmer an inch or inch and a half.

Yea I thought about that too, but it's def the putty, if I lift it up 6 inches with my hands for a few minutes it will still gush out the same rate. Like I put dish soap in the dishwasher!

After a few days it is STILL going nuts. Changed carbon and doing another water change from the skimmer output. On the bright side, it made me finally rig up a good water changing system. Last night I hooked up a solenoid valve to a lighting timer so my R/O will run overnight for the approximate time it takes to fill my trash can with the volume of my sump. I also hooked a pump up to a long hose that I can run directly out the window.

chazman113
10/19/2016, 02:52 PM
Heck yea, let about another 15 gallons come out of skimmer and it just stopped all of a sudden. Thanks for all advice.