PDA

View Full Version : Tang Experts - Introduction Thoughts

nuxx
10/17/2016, 10:33 AM
Hey everyone...

I'm in an interesting position and would like some feedback.

Currently I have 3 established tangs (Black 5-6", Yellow 4", Chevron 4") in our tank, which is a 470 (120x29x31").

I tried to introduce a Gem after quarantine and acclimation. He got beat up pretty bad and has been in a large acclimation box for a long time (has even doubled in size).

<iframe src="https://player.vimeo.com/video/185857424" width="640" height="360" frameborder="0" webkitallowfullscreen mozallowfullscreen allowfullscreen></iframe>

To help out, I purchased 5 other tangs to QT and introduce with the Gem. All are smaller than the Gem (Achilles, Achilles Hybrid, (2) Yellow and a Black Hybrid).

They are going through QT like this:
- 2 Yellows and Achilles in a 40 breeder (One Yellow was killed early on)
- Achilles Hybrid and Black Hybrid in a 55 (HLLE has popped up on the Black Hybrid, but not worried about it after QT)

The QT period is nearing it's end, but now I have a wrench thrown into everything.

The opportunity for me to get a Zebra Tang (a fish I've wanted forever) has come up. It might take a few weeks to get it though...

So my questions are...

- Do I wait another 4-6 weeks after getting the Zebra to introduce everyone together after the Zebra's QT?

- Should I introduce the Yellow, Gem and Black Hybrid together, then after QT of the Zebra introduce it and the Achilles and Achilles Hybrid?

- Introduce all the current tangs and then acclimate and release the Zebra by itself after it's QT?

Thanks guys! :beer:

scooter31707
10/17/2016, 12:41 PM
You might want to wait especially with the established Yellow Tang. If you did introduced the Achilles now and it gets established it may hard to introduce anything after that.

CHSUB
10/17/2016, 01:41 PM
i really don't think anyone can answer your question with any certainty, but only a "best" guess. imo, i would wait and add all together. i have done this a couple of times with tangs and all ended well. however, at first there was fighting and even blood, but in the end it worked without losses.

nuxx
10/17/2016, 01:50 PM
You might want to wait especially with the established Yellow Tang. If you did introduced the Achilles now and it gets established it may hard to introduce anything after that.

Yeah would really be worried about the two established Achilles then adding a Zebra.

i really don't think anyone can answer your question with any certainty, but only a "best" guess. imo, i would wait and add all together. i have done this a couple of times with tangs and all ended well. however, at first there was fighting and even blood, but in the end it worked without losses.

Just feel bad about the HLLE on the Black Hybrid, but I guess most of the times it's not fatal and should clear up in the display.

Also, I guess running the Achilles for a bit longer in Cupramine won't hurt :)

d-man
10/17/2016, 03:22 PM
Yes, wait and drop them all together. hLLE will clear up. Take out carbon if you are using it, and feed good vitamin enriched nori for a bit

ca1ore
10/17/2016, 03:35 PM
My approach has always been to introduce the most expensive fish first :lol: Had an opportunity to get a Gem a couple of years ago, but with a resident yellow, purple and Desjardini, I just didn't want to risk it.

Any way to remove the resident tangs for a while?

nuxx
10/18/2016, 10:23 AM
Yes, wait and drop them all together. hLLE will clear up. Take out carbon if you are using it, and feed good vitamin enriched nori for a bit

No carbon, but maybe water is suspect. Also not a lot of light reaching that tank... as well as the Achilles Hybrid in the tank with it being more dominant, not sure how much of the food is making it to him. So guessing stress is a bit higher than normal.

My approach has always been to introduce the most expensive fish first :lol: Had an opportunity to get a Gem a couple of years ago, but with a resident yellow, purple and Desjardini, I just didn't want to risk it.

Any way to remove the resident tangs for a while?

Yeah I don't want to bother with it honestly. I'm hoping with 6 new tangs, the resident 3 will be too confused to laser focus aggression on any one new tang. I'll have a fish trap ready if things get too hairy...

scooter31707
10/18/2016, 01:31 PM
I think you will better your odds adding all at once. IMO, unless you have the ocean, a tang that is determined to take out another fish, especially another tang will do so.

nuxx
10/18/2016, 01:36 PM
I think you will better your odds adding all at once. IMO, unless you have the ocean, a tang that is determined to take out another fish, especially another tang will do so.

Yeah I have no problem pulling a fish if it's being aggressive after the fact... :hammer: