PDA

View Full Version : thickness of glass

homerclease
10/18/2016, 10:46 AM
What would be a good rule of thumb for glass thickness for a mantis shrimp? I don't want to chance it busting out the tank...

Kharn
10/18/2016, 11:27 AM
That's a broad question...

A tiny little 2inch mantis won't really brake anything.
But a large full grown 7inch peacock will probably shatter a Fluval Edge (which it shouldn't be in anyway due to the small size of the tank).

Be more specific.

nmotz
10/18/2016, 02:08 PM
There are pretty much only two species you have to be concerned with: G. Chiragra and O. Scyllarus. Both would have to be quite large and be in a tank too small. As long as you get the proper size tank, you're probably going to be just fine.

Gonodactylus
10/19/2016, 09:00 AM
Generally, O. scyllarus don't strike the glass walls of their aquaria but occasionally I get an animal that does. I currently have a 12cm male O. scyllarus that strikes repeatedly at the same spot. It has punched a hole in 2 tanks in the past year. It doesn't take out the aquarium in a single blow but strikes hundreds of times until the glass fails.

Roy

nmotz
10/19/2016, 01:14 PM
Generally, O. scyllarus don't strike the glass walls of their aquaria but occasionally I get an animal that does. I currently have a 12cm male O. scyllarus that strikes repeatedly at the same spot. It has punched a hole in 2 tanks in the past year. It doesn't take out the aquarium in a single blow but strikes hundreds of times until the glass fails.

Roy

Wow look at that...great shot of the damage. How many animals do you have right now, Dr. Caldwell?

Gonodactylus
10/20/2016, 09:33 AM
Here is a photograph of the second tank this animal broke. Lucky for it in both cases the stomatopod punched a hole in the side of the aquarium an inch or so above the bottom so that when it drained there was still enough water left in the tank that the animal's pleopods remained wet and it didn't die. Unfortunately, the canister filters ran dry and burned out. This is one expensive beast.

I have a much smaller lab now that I've retired and I have had to cut back the number of stomatopods I'm keeping. I have 9 Lysiosquillina, a dozen Odontodactylus, about 50 assorted gonodactylids and a few miscellaneous other species. Most of my time in the lab is being spent trying to that high resolution photographs of stomatopods in action. See one of my latest efforts attached.

I'm also putting quite a bit of effort into trying to culture Octopus chierchiae. I'm having some luck at this and have several juveniles that are a couple of months old. So, all in all, I'm keeping busy.

Roy

Flaring Afro
10/20/2016, 10:58 AM
Acrylic is better at taking impacts. If you are that worried, you could just get an acrylic tank.

nmotz
10/20/2016, 03:50 PM
Here is a photograph of the second tank this animal broke. Lucky for it in both cases the stomatopod punched a hole in the side of the aquarium an inch or so above the bottom so that when it drained there was still enough water left in the tank that the animal's pleopods remained wet and it didn't die. Unfortunately, the canister filters ran dry and burned out. This is one expensive beast.

I have a much smaller lab now that I've retired and I have had to cut back the number of stomatopods I'm keeping. I have 9 Lysiosquillina, a dozen Odontodactylus, about 50 assorted gonodactylids and a few miscellaneous other species. Most of my time in the lab is being spent trying to that high resolution photographs of stomatopods in action. See one of my latest efforts attached.

I'm also putting quite a bit of effort into trying to culture Octopus chierchiae. I'm having some luck at this and have several juveniles that are a couple of months old. So, all in all, I'm keeping busy.

Roy

That is crazy....makes me really think twice about my old glass tank now that my O. Scyllarus is about 4" long after her last molt. Thanks for sharing the pictures.

I hope you're able to enjoy retirement. I'd love to have a dozen Odontodactylus! Any O. Japonicus or any other uncommon Odontodactylids or just Peacocks?

homerclease
10/20/2016, 06:16 PM
I am really new to the idea of these animals... sorry for the broad question. I will have to do a ton more research before I think about one of these amazing creatures..

nmotz
10/20/2016, 08:36 PM
Here's a video I made that will get you started, feel free to ask questions on the forum whenever you need help.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=27ejOxSlTQY