PDA

View Full Version : Why do Anemones go into corners?

skiingfast
10/18/2016, 11:49 AM
It seems to be a regular thing, the nems move into the bottom corners or a tank.

Secondly they like the sides.

Do they not like our rocks in the middle of the tank?

Are the trying to escape the flow? Is it an indication of too much movement?

DasCamel
10/18/2016, 06:22 PM
Flow and protect their foot my two guesses. Some like a Mag will always climb a wall.

D-Nak
10/19/2016, 11:04 AM
What type of anemone are you referring to? Not all anemones will go to the sides.

Assuming you're talking about BTAs, they like to have their foot buried in a crevice. If you're using rocks without many crevices, then the BTA will tend to wander, eventually finding a corner.

mich007
10/19/2016, 11:51 AM
I've always wondered the same thing. they like to be able to hide whenever they want to.

Pericyte
10/19/2016, 12:11 PM
Unfortunately not enough people name their anemone "Baby" it's a common rookie mistake ;).

I have always thought anemones are to some degree a predator, the corner would offer a constant flow in many of our tanks, where small pieces of food and pods probably get stuck. Essentially, good light plus easy pickings for food.

joshbrookkate
10/19/2016, 12:21 PM
Mine almost never go to the corners. 20+ in 75g with lots of rock, crevices.

ThRoewer
10/19/2016, 01:06 PM
It's usually anemones that live on the sand near rocks that look for corners. Many anemones want to place their foot deep into a crevice where they can completely retract to if attacked. Corners are often the closest thing to this they can find in a tank.

BonsaiNut
10/19/2016, 09:02 PM
Different anemones live in different environments and have different needs (I feel like a broken record player tonight). What species of anemone are you referring to?

skiingfast
10/24/2016, 10:48 AM
Different anemones live in different environments and have different needs (I feel like a broken record player tonight). What species of anemone are you referring to?

Condis, LTAs, and Magnificats too. Common aquariums types. It seems only carpets stay put.