PDA

View Full Version : Clowns fighting...

JodiM
10/19/2016, 03:59 PM
so, my clowns have been fighting.. to the point one has marks all over his body. I was able to finally net the bully and I stuck him in my sump for now..
Is it better to just take him back to the store? Or can he just live in my sump, if i put in a light down there for him.

I read another forum that the fighting shouldn't last too long and that they would work it out.. But its been happening for a few weeks now. I don't want to see any of my fish die because I ignored it.

Any advice??

Oh and no they came from different tanks at the store, but i did get them on the same day (about 3 months ago) The attacker was much much smaller than the one he is now picking on when I got him.

Thank you in advance for help! :spin1:

homer1475
10/19/2016, 04:07 PM
Leave them alone.

If you know anything about clowns you would understand. Its the clowns way of deciding who will become the larger more aggressive clown(female). All clowns are born male, once one submits, the other will become the female.

I originally bought a mated pair, the female decided to go carpet surfing one day. So I bought a new small female. She used beat the snot out of my larger male! So much so that the male had ripped fins and scars on his body. It took about 3 months for him to submit to her, and now they are a loving pair, and all scars and ripped fins are healed up with no issue.

JodiM
10/19/2016, 04:10 PM
Leave them alone.

If you know anything about clowns you would understand. Its the clowns way of deciding who will become the larger more aggressive clown(female). All clowns are born male, once one submits, the other will become the female.

I originally bought a mated pair, the female decided to go carpet surfing one day. So I bought a new small female. She used beat the snot out of my larger male! So much so that the male had ripped fins and scars on his body. It took about 3 months for him to submit to her, and now they are a loving pair, and all scars and ripped fins are healed up with no issue.

ok... I just feel so bad for him.. he is getting tore up in there.. But I will toss her back in and see what happens.. Thank you!

lg2725
10/19/2016, 04:14 PM
Yeah, these clowns are an ornery bunch. I did TTM with them for 2 weeks and they nothing but hang out together. I moved them into a 55 gal for duration of QT and they spend a ton of time apart and every now and again she turns into a mean b..ch

homer1475
10/19/2016, 04:16 PM
Its nature. She is a fierce b*tch! It's tough to watch I know. Contemplated separating my 2 also, but was given the same advice I'm giving you. They usually just nip at each other, never enough to actually kill one. It can happen, but its highly unlikely.

homer1475
10/19/2016, 04:17 PM
Yeah, these clowns are an ornery bunch. I did TTM with them for 2 weeks and they nothing but hang out together. I moved them into a 55 gal for duration of QT and they spend a ton of time apart and every now and again she turns into a mean b..ch

Just like every other damsel fish. Yes clowns are in the damsel family.