PDA

View Full Version : Storing your fish food

JMorris271
10/19/2016, 09:40 PM
I was all excited about getting my fish tank going with some fish actually swimming around inside. I have fish now, purchased some frozen food for them and put it in the freezer which seems to smell things up and gets lost in the chicken and ice cream.
Where and how do you keep your frozen food ?
Thanks

AboutAcans
10/20/2016, 12:01 AM
I don't use frozen food, it's never worked for me. Freezer burns most the time and doesn't really hang in the water column where I need it to. Most of it just seems to last about a month and then "freezer burn". But chicken legs do the same thing haha

I hate to sound like I'm pitching something but I've been fragging corals for 15 years. Friend or mine got me turned on to Olio Coral Food. I don't even refrigerate it (I think you're supposed to, but meh). Stuff is crazy good though for a full spectrum food. Most the fraggers I know use it, but not many are on the boards. I even use it for my clownfish breeding tank cause I don't know if whoever makes it intended it for it, but it even feeds my fry when my Piccasos breed.

Which by, wait can say this on the board here, another spawning just happened if anyone likes Piccasos.

Sinn Sage
10/20/2016, 04:35 AM
If you have an outdoor outfitters store nearby such as a REI, they sell odor proof plastic bags.

We use them to keep the bears and such from eating our food while we sleep.

O.P.Sak is one brand that you can look for and they come in different sizes.

Ron Reefman
10/20/2016, 05:32 AM
I use lots of frozen food and I keep open packages in ziploc bags in a sealable lid tupperware container. I have no issues with odor or frozen fish food in my ice cream! :lol2:

chrisfont23
10/20/2016, 06:27 AM
Frozen food is kept in the freezer. Side of the door. Refrigerated food (i.e. Roe, Phyto) is kept in the fridge. I make space. No one in my house seems to mind and they pretty much avoid it when grabbing for waffles in the morning.

AboutAcans
10/20/2016, 06:48 AM
Frozen food is kept in the freezer. Side of the door. Refrigerated food (i.e. Roe, Phyto) is kept in the fridge. I make space. No one in my house seems to mind and they pretty much avoid it when grabbing for waffles in the morning.

HAHA Nasty. That's one reason I didn't like it. I've even heard not to keep it in the door cause of temperature fluctuations. Then no matter where else I put frozen food, or what I put it in, the smell would always leak out.

Now I'm just gonna do this for fun That's why I endorse Olio coral food :bounce3: lol

Flaring Afro
10/20/2016, 08:51 AM
What fish food are you using? I use the cubes sold in stores and they are individually sealed so I never have had any noticeable scent coming from them.

I don't use frozen food, it's never worked for me. Freezer burns most the time and doesn't really hang in the water column where I need it to.

Were you just plopping the frozen cube in the tank? It's best to let it defrost in a cup of tank water and then break it up before putting it in. If you did that then you might have to turn the powerheads off during feeding or something.

kmbyrnes
10/22/2016, 06:15 AM
I store frozen food directly below my ice cubes and haven't noticed any mysis taste in them. And I go through far too much food for it to be in the freezer long enough for it it to get freezer burnt

chammergren
10/22/2016, 06:52 PM
I use Piscine PE Mysis and have no issues with off smells or freezer burn. They come in packaging similar to how medication like sudafed is stored where you break the foil and pop out the frozen cube of mysis.

Not sure what your feeding needs are but for me personally, this stuff is perfect.

Sonyardo
10/23/2016, 10:29 AM
I have a 2nd fridge in the garage. I keep frozen food in the freezer door. I don't notice any odors or taste transferring to any other foods or beverages.

JMorris271
10/24/2016, 11:17 PM
I have a 2nd fridge in the garage. I keep frozen food in the freezer door. I don't notice any odors or taste transferring to any other foods or beverages.
That's what I have done. I bought a 1 cu ft freezer. Problem solved.