PDA

View Full Version : How to move my zoas from a plug onto a rock?

xxmindgamesxx
10/20/2016, 05:16 AM
Hello everyone, i know this is somewhat silly but i wanna make sure i dont murder my very first coral.

Im getting 3 polyps of zoas frags that are on a frag plug, the plugs look ugly and unnatural and i want to move em to a small rock that i have in my tank.

How exactly can i do that? Please reply ASAP because im getting them in a day or two.

sde1500
10/20/2016, 06:07 AM
Cut the plug back a bit, then stick it on whatever rock you want it on. They'll grow over the plug onto the surrounding rock. That is how I do it. Looks ugly for a bit but it starts to blend in. Or you could probably use a sharp razor blade and cut under the zoa mat, then glue them to the rock directly.

xxmindgamesxx
10/20/2016, 06:17 AM
Cut the plug back a bit, then stick it on whatever rock you want it on. They'll grow over the plug onto the surrounding rock. That is how I do it. Looks ugly for a bit but it starts to blend in. Or you could probably use a sharp razor blade and cut under the zoa mat, then glue them to the rock directly.
But when i cut the plug a bit it wi be a circular flat surface, and that wont hold anywhere.

About the cutting method, I wanna do that method but im so afraid that ill kill or damage the coral..

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

sde1500
10/20/2016, 06:32 AM
Cut plug and reef putty/epoxy. The putty forms around the unevenness and the rock.

xxmindgamesxx
10/20/2016, 06:42 AM
Cut plug and reef putty/epoxy. The putty forms around the unevenness and the rock.
I tried buying epoxy but its not available, can I just super glue the frag to the small rock? Or is super glue not safe.

I can not by a coral glue because, once again, its not available..

sde1500
10/20/2016, 08:17 AM
Hmm, I ordered this stuff recently for epoxying some rocks, can you order this? I it white, but again, after a little bit the zoas should over grow it. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01C7S0KXE/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

If not, reef glue is just like any super glue, get cyanoacrylate gel, its easier to work with than liquid.

xxmindgamesxx
10/20/2016, 08:18 AM
Hmm, I ordered this stuff recently for epoxying some rocks, can you order this? I it white, but again, after a little bit the zoas should over grow it. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01C7S0KXE/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

If not, reef glue is just like any super glue, get cyanoacrylate gel, its easier to work with than liquid.
Well thanks, ill see whats available and ill let you know of my options thanks

Willyboz1
10/20/2016, 09:53 AM
Do you razor blade the zoa under water or out of the water?

Pandagobyguy
10/20/2016, 10:03 AM
Super glue works fine! If its gel you can even make an underwater ball and use it like putty. For the most natural look i would say take it off the frag with a razor but ive seen plenty of gorgeous tanks that started with a bunch of frag plugs glued to rock

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

spjames
10/20/2016, 12:50 PM
Before you cut any zoas please read the palytoxin thread stickied in this forum.

@OP where do you live ?, if US then Home Depot, Lowes, Ace etc all have marine epoxy putty.

xxmindgamesxx
10/20/2016, 01:00 PM
Before you cut any zoas please read the palytoxin thread stickied in this forum.

@OP where do you live ?, if US then Home Depot, Lowes, Ace etc all have marine epoxy putty.
Oh you reminded me btw, do all of zoas have this toxin? and ill read it now.

A. Grandis
10/23/2016, 01:23 AM
All zoas might have palytoxin.
We just don't know...
Safety is a must for all fragging!!!

You could put the plug in a hole inside the rock work and a bit of super glue.
The zoas should overgrow with time.

Grandis.

xxmindgamesxx
10/23/2016, 04:40 AM
All zoas might have palytoxin.
We just don't know...
Safety is a must for all fragging!!!

You could put the plug in a hole inside the rock work and a bit of super glue.
The zoas should overgrow with time.

Grandis.
Oh damn...
But lets say i stick my hand in the water and there are a few zoas in there... they wont do me any harm until it goes into my eyes or blood stream, right?

A. Grandis
10/23/2016, 08:18 PM
Oh damn...
But lets say i stick my hand in the water and there are a few zoas in there... they wont do me any harm until it goes into my eyes or blood stream, right?

In same cases yes.
Most times no.

Please search about palytoxin.

You start here:
http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1858696

Grandis.

xxmindgamesxx
10/23/2016, 08:19 PM
In same cases yes.
Most times no.

Please search about palytoxin.

Grandis.
Will do, thanks!

A. Grandis
10/23/2016, 08:20 PM
Will do, thanks!

The link:
http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1858696

Grandis.

sde1500
10/24/2016, 08:37 AM
While dangerous I think the risk is small. I have 7 different zoas in my tank, I've handled all the frags before. I never wear gloves and I've had no issue.

Grimreaperz
10/29/2016, 04:53 PM
While dangerous I think the risk is small. I have 7 different zoas in my tank, I've handled all the frags before. I never wear gloves and I've had no issue.
I tend not to wear gloves either. Sometimes I'll get a bit itchy after but that's about it. Still it is definitely recommended to wear gloves and eye protection. Every person reacts differently to these toxins.

And I am always very cautious not to rub my face mouth or eyes when doing this. And thoroughly wash my hands afterwards.

People have been hospitalized from this stuff though so definitely read up on it before anything.

As for moving zoas to rocks. Let them grow out on the plug first. And then take 1-2 polyps using a razor blade and transfer them to a rock. That way you still have a "Mother" Colony until the ones on the rock start to thrive. Then you can either sell the frag or continue to do the same thing.

I use Gorilla GEL Super glue. Works awesome and can be found at any hardware store. If not that then 2 part marine epoxy.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk