PDA

View Full Version : Which Tridacna Clam for my 75 gallon tank

oseymour
10/21/2016, 06:58 AM
I'm looking to add a Tridacna clam to my 75 gallon mixed reef.

I know some of them can get quite large but can someone recommend a species that stays relatively small?

Thanks.

juniorrocketdad
10/21/2016, 07:02 AM
I think crocea is the smallest but they need to be high up in the rocks

oseymour
10/21/2016, 08:42 AM
I think crocea is the smallest but they need to be high up in the rocks

I think that's something I can definately do.

I'm also running 2 Radion pro G4s on a 4 foot tank so I don't think light is a limiting factor.

Raintree
10/27/2016, 01:10 AM
T. Maxima also stays relatively small.

T. Gigas is the largest, followed by Derasa, then Squamosa, then Maxima, then Crocea.

Silly clownfish
11/03/2016, 02:36 PM
I have a maxima in my 75g, but I have only had it for about 8 months. It has grown in that time, but my bigger issue is my red cap monti that I need to keep trimmed to prevent shadowing it. That grew froma frag the size of a quarter to ~10"x10"x6" tall in 2 years, and that is with multiple prunings.

My concern with putting a clam high in the tank is whether it would outgrow the support structure over time.

Kim

oseymour
11/03/2016, 03:56 PM
My concern with putting a clam high in the tank is whether it would outgrow the support structure over time.

Kim

Good point. I'm in the process of adding more rock. If I don't feel comfortable with the area I can carve out for the clam then I'll probably forget it.

I'll post an update when I have one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

xanthurum
11/03/2016, 08:43 PM
I have a gorgeous Crocea about 18 inches deep under Radion Gen 3 Pros. Got it as a 1 inch baby and it has grown about an inch in the last 6 months. What I'm saying is Crocea is the way to go IMO they stay small and you can get some with amazing colors.

jd371
11/04/2016, 01:09 PM
Following. I have the same size tank and thinking about pulling the trigger on one of the Maiximas at the lfs.

xanthurum
11/04/2016, 09:51 PM
Maxima is a great clam but they can take up a lot of real estate in a small tank. Not saying 75 is small per se but space is limited and a clam that can get over a foot long is a big animal.

Raintree
11/05/2016, 04:38 PM
Maxima is a great clam but they can take up a lot of real estate in a small tank. Not saying 75 is small per se but space is limited and a clam that can get over a foot long is a big animal.

Maxima clams stay under about 8"