PDA

View Full Version : Hot glue

juniorrocketdad
10/22/2016, 12:03 PM
I saw a video saying hot glue was safe for aquariums after it cures, does anyone have experience with this because this would make glueing my scape together much. Cheaper

reef thief
10/22/2016, 12:54 PM
I'm sure it's safe but hot glue is extremely weak. The couple time I've used the stuff it falls apart easily. For something like rocks I would just use Super glue but it's up to you. Also I'm not sure how well the hot glue will penetrate the pores in the rock to get a good grip. I like fishies.

Bagabaga
10/22/2016, 07:05 PM
I've used hot glue as feet for my skimmer stand so it didn't make a lot of noise and raised it incrementally. I also used it to glue a broken powerhead to a magnet cleaner to make it stick to the aquarium wall. First instance of use was a success. Hot glue feet dampen the noise. Second instance I didn't use a lot of glue and it fell apart with time. Re attached it with a whole stick and now it doesn't come apart. This powerhead was used in my sump.

clowncaldy27
10/22/2016, 07:53 PM
I wouldn't use hot glue for scaping... IMO superglue or a combination of superglue and putty

jayball
10/27/2016, 03:43 PM
If you are building a scape with dry rock out of the tank I found a combo of 5 minute 2 part epoxy, epoxy puddy/superglue gel combo, and fibreglass rods all working together to be effective. I would not make it easier just to have it all fall apart in the future.