PDA

View Full Version : The ultimate glass pane remover must try!!!

ShellionessLove
10/22/2016, 05:08 PM
So, I have three RES turtles and a 55 gallon tank arrrggghhhhh. They are starting to fight. I upgraded from 20 to 55 and nownneed 150-200 gallon tank. I can't afford to do that right now as a single parent so for the last two weeks I have been trying to remove a side pain from my 20 gallon tank so that I may put the 20 gallon tank on top of my 55 gallon tank and use it as a basking area above the tanK. Well after trying a guitar string, A razor blade, utility knife, A thin saw blade, fishing line and a blow dryer to heat up the silicone, I was literally about to just give up and break the tank at this point. Then I was thinking I need something that's narrow enough to fit between the two panes that will not break that will not rip and that will not cut me but still do the job. I started looking around the house for something like this and saw the milk carton sitting on the counter that was just emptied. I said what if I cut the milk carton into slices like strips and try to use that because it's narrow, flexible, and sturdy. Low and behold I finally did it. I used only the middle of the jug because it is much thinner than the top or bittom and it's straight without grooves. I cut the entire middle out then sliced two flat strips. I took the first one and slid it in between the two panes of course you gotta work it between but once in between the glass it was a done deal. In less than a minute one side was completely separated. I repeated in the other side and for the. Bottom I gently pulled the panel outward very slowly until the silicone gave way and if it doesn't just use your utility knife or razor I separate it and BAMMMMMMMMM No hand cuts, no sore fingers, no ripped, torn or. broken objects flying off and used both hands instead of tools to pull. I literally took two weeks messing around from time to time to do this and I feel so good right now that I had to share!!!! It is a must try and please let me know how it works for you so I know if I helped you guys and gals!!!!

Good luck:idea::idea::idea::idea::lolspin::idea:

acer
10/26/2016, 05:08 PM
cool- thanks for posting this - I am about to take apart a tank and had done it before ( no fun ) and was not looking forward to it.

Capt_Dan
10/29/2016, 08:45 PM
Great info!