PDA

View Full Version : Skimmer

jrvelie
10/22/2016, 07:55 PM
Looking for suggestions. Tank I have running is a 29 gallon with a 20 gallon sump. I will be moving to a 60 gallon tank soon. I only have 2 cardinals but have a fair amount of corals in the tank. I have been looking at the Reef Octopus 110.

thanks

zooman72
10/23/2016, 10:22 AM
That skimmer will work well enough for that application, and assuming you are going to add more fish, several others come to mind as well: Bubble Magus Curve 5, Eshopps Cone S-120, AquaMaxx CO-1, Nyos Quantum 120 for example.

All are similar in the capabilities and quality (IMO), and will get the job done for a tank that size. The Eshopps and AquaMaxx use Sicce pumps (the AquaMaxx uses a proprietary impeller though), which are will regarded, and although the BM Curve 5 uses a proprietary Rock pump, it seems to work well (I have 3 of them quietly running 3 years now without issue). The Octopus runs an Aquatrance pump, while the Nyos runs an Eden, but there does not seem to be too many issues with them over time.

The Eshopps, Octopus, and Nyos also do not have cup drains installed (AquaMaxx and Bubble Magus do) if you need that sort of thing.

A sea K
10/23/2016, 01:26 PM
Been running that very skimmer on a 30gal DT with a 20gal sump and 10gal fuge. 8 fish with lots of LPS coral. It's been a solid performer for me and I would recommend it to anyone for a similar sized or a slightly larger system.

To zooman72, my 110 classic INT does indeed have a cup drain.

zooman72
10/23/2016, 03:46 PM
Been running that very skimmer on a 30gal DT with a 20gal sump and 10gal fuge. 8 fish with lots of LPS coral. It's been a solid performer for me and I would recommend it to anyone for a similar sized or a slightly larger system.

To zooman72, my 110 classic INT does indeed have a cup drain.

Sorry, I should have been more specific - the 110 Classic Super Space Saver is what I was referring to - I forgot that they still offer the older NWB style...

jrvelie
10/23/2016, 06:21 PM
Thanks for all the info. Now the hard part deciding what one to get.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

luvreefs23
10/24/2016, 08:18 AM
I've used the space save model that resembles a little bubble king. Had it on a 30 with 15 gallon sump. 5-6 fish worked flawlessly. Awesome skimmer