PDA

View Full Version : Dosing in a Zeovit setup

ppsthlm
10/23/2016, 02:54 PM
I am soon to bo setting up my new reef tank and it will be a Zeovit system.
I need to plan for the sump setup so my question is how you do/ would do. Do you dose separately for Alkalinity, Calcium and Magnesium or will the dosing from the Zeovit cover every supplement needed in your opinion?
Hope for some good advice. Thanks very much.

Martin Kuhn
10/23/2016, 03:07 PM
Zeofit is a (quite complicated and also expensive) system to
- keep nutrient levels very low
- feed corals with amino acids to reduce the risk for rtn
- dose several trace elements

It does NOT adapt your Ca,Alk, Mg levels. You need to dose separately

Best rgds
Martin

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

2smokes
10/23/2016, 03:57 PM
Zeovit system is like red sea color program or any otther brand color program.It consist in dosing 3 basic chemicals to improove the coloration of the corals.Potasium ,iron and iodine.Only potasium can be measured with a test kit precisely,the iron and iodine cant so you will have to dose an unknown ammount of them slowly.Another supplement to color corals is a copper supplement thats sold by various companyes .It poison the sps corals so that they expell somme of the zooxanthelae and become more colorfull.Zeovit system is a biological filtration system that uses zeolites and a carbon source to grow bacteria.(its like dosing vodka).Apart from the dosing for filtration there is also dosing to color corals.And aminoacids are just food.

Hentz
10/23/2016, 04:46 PM
I'll speak from my personal ZEOvit experiences. I recently ran my 60 Gallon as full ZEOvit with SPS. Currently restarting the tank as I will happily continue running ZEOvit!

For the sump you can run anything as long as it fits a Protein Skimmer, ZEOlite Reactor, Heater, and Return pump. I previously used a simple 3 chamber sump prior to switching to the Emerald 26 Sump.

For me personally, I ran a doser.
I had setup my doser to dose ESV Bionic's Alkalinity and Calcium since ZEOvit does not stabilize those parameters. Alkalinity, Calcium, Magnesium, and Salinity are all on you to keep stable with other methods ie.: Calcium Reactor, Doser, Manual Dosing, etc..

Martin Kuhn mentioned it's expensive. Depending on your size tank, it can get expensive real quick. With a larger tank, you should already know you'd be spending more money on anything and everything. However with smaller tanks, like my 60 gallon, I've found it rather cheap. You'd likely be spending -/+ of the amount you'd spend on other products. Therefore, in my opinion, it kind of equals itself out. It is a more of an upfront cost, roughly $250 in my situation which I'm currently still using 3/4 of the products I received almost a year ago. The most expensive piece will be the reactor. From there on out, its $10-50 items that will genuinely last you a decent amount of time before you have to replace them, if you even choose so!

ZEOvit is by no means complicated, trust me. It looks intimidating and difficult, though it's a very simple method which truly is easily learned. It requires almost no maintenance aside from morning and night dosing & shaking the reactor which literally takes no less than 30 seconds. ZEOvit also requires you to do a small water change (5-10%) weekly to replace trace elements. Aside from replacing the ZEOlite stones every 6-8 weeks, that's all there really is too it.

The only "complicated" you will encounter while new to the method, is the dosing regimen. With ZEOvit, you do need to dose certain amount of ml's in a few bottles that do need to be quite precise to the amount required. Also requires a certain amount of drops so many times a week of a certain product. This is all very easily obtained by a few simple math equations or a simple post on www.ZEOvit.com where someone will give you the appropriate dosing amounts.

Other than that, feel free to follow my YouTube series in which I'm starting on ZEOvit. This will be showing you how to run and maintain a ZEOvit system.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/GmFFz1q9smc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Sinn Sage
10/23/2016, 07:00 PM
Also no running a ozone or UV tube with Zev and possibly no bio-pellets either.....depending on who has the better argument.

Sinn Sage
10/23/2016, 07:08 PM
I am soon to bo setting up my new reef tank and it will be a Zeovit system.
I need to plan for the sump setup so my question is how you do/ would do. Do you dose separately for Alkalinity, Calcium and Magnesium or will the dosing from the Zeovit cover every supplement needed in your opinion?
Hope for some good advice. Thanks very much.

https://s3.amazonaws.com/brsinstructions/Korallen+Zucht/zeoguide_103_english-1.pdf

This should give you an idea of what is all involved.

ppsthlm
10/24/2016, 09:35 AM
Thanks all of you for your replies!!
I will need to dose separately then. Some people say Alkalinity and Calcium needs to be dosed but Magnesium will be fine from water changes...?!

I'll speak from my personal ZEOvit experiences. I recently ran my 60 Gallon as full ZEOvit with SPS. Currently restarting the tank as I will happily continue running ZEOvit!

For the sump you can run anything as long as it fits a Protein Skimmer, ZEOlite Reactor, Heater, and Return pump. I previously used a simple 3 chamber sump prior to switching to the Emerald 26 Sump.

For me personally, I ran a doser.
I had setup my doser to dose ESV Bionic's Alkalinity and Calcium since ZEOvit does not stabilize those parameters. Alkalinity, Calcium, Magnesium, and Salinity are all on you to keep stable with other methods ie.: Calcium Reactor, Doser, Manual Dosing, etc..

Martin Kuhn mentioned it's expensive. Depending on your size tank, it can get expensive real quick. With a larger tank, you should already know you'd be spending more money on anything and everything. However with smaller tanks, like my 60 gallon, I've found it rather cheap. You'd likely be spending -/+ of the amount you'd spend on other products. Therefore, in my opinion, it kind of equals itself out. It is a more of an upfront cost, roughly $250 in my situation which I'm currently still using 3/4 of the products I received almost a year ago. The most expensive piece will be the reactor. From there on out, its $10-50 items that will genuinely last you a decent amount of time before you have to replace them, if you even choose so!

ZEOvit is by no means complicated, trust me. It looks intimidating and difficult, though it's a very simple method which truly is easily learned. It requires almost no maintenance aside from morning and night dosing & shaking the reactor which literally takes no less than 30 seconds. ZEOvit also requires you to do a small water change (5-10%) weekly to replace trace elements. Aside from replacing the ZEOlite stones every 6-8 weeks, that's all there really is too it.

The only "complicated" you will encounter while new to the method, is the dosing regimen. With ZEOvit, you do need to dose certain amount of ml's in a few bottles that do need to be quite precise to the amount required. Also requires a certain amount of drops so many times a week of a certain product. This is all very easily obtained by a few simple math equations or a simple post on www.ZEOvit.com where someone will give you the appropriate dosing amounts.

Other than that, feel free to follow my YouTube series in which I'm starting on ZEOvit. This will be showing you how to run and maintain a ZEOvit system.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/GmFFz1q9smc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Thanks a lot, I will definitely follow your tank build!!
I am not too scared of ZEOvit, that it is too complicated. Been reading and reading but of course until you go hands on itīs all just theory so you need to be sure you understand every little part of it...

Money is not an object when it comes to this tank build. (If it was I would stay out of this hobby, haha, everything is expensive ;) ) What is limiting is rather space and I need to fit everything into a small sump. But an automatic ZEOfilter from KZ, a Bubble King skimmer and an activated carbon filter should fit into the sump fine. My issue is when I travel away for 4 weeks which I do twice a year. But I guess the ZEOlites will be fine with that filter. All I need to do is skip the dosing of additives for the system during this time as a few drops here and there can be difficult to auto dose.
Thanks a lot for your reply and keep your videos posted...

bertoni
10/24/2016, 05:37 PM
Many tanks are fine without magnesium dosing. Others seem to consume more than water changes can provide. I'd just measure the magnesium once a week or so, and then back off over time. The tests should tell you how much you need to dose.