PDA

View Full Version : Maintenance schedule

mpderksen
10/24/2016, 11:27 AM
How often do you deep clean your sump to remove detritus? And how often do you vinegar soak the return pump and skimmer?
I assume the answer may be different if you run filter media like a sock.
Minor GHA issue, so I think it's time, since monthly GFO changes aren't keeping up.

BlackTip
10/24/2016, 11:31 AM
Return and reactor pumps, every 6 months
Skimmer, every 3-4 months
Flow pumps, every 2-3 months (Gyers requires constant cleaning)

jacksonpt
10/24/2016, 11:34 AM
I have a powerhead in my sump that runs for 30 minutes every night to stir up stuff and get it back into the water column.

I give my vortechs a vinegar bath as needed... probably once every 3 months or so. I don't run a skimmer.

cincyjim
10/24/2016, 11:47 AM
Sump is cleaned once a year. That includes the return pump, taking the skimmer apart and pump cleaning. No soaking, just a very thorough cleaning. I also replace my return hose. Power heads are switched out about every 2 months and given a vinegar bath. I also have a power head in my sump that is on 24/7 to keep things stirred up.

gigamanx
10/24/2016, 12:08 PM
I'm not sure I have ever deep cleaned my skimmer with vinegar. I've heard of issues with it over bubbling for a while afterward. About every 6 months for other components of my system. I'm actually about due now, thanks for the reminder!

mpderksen
10/24/2016, 07:01 PM
Fair enough, so skip the vinegar on the skimmer.i have a layer of Marine Pure balls as a layer in the middle section of the sump. I'm guessing there is build up in there. I doubt a circ pump would help much there. My Nitrates are low (0.25 ppm, Red Sea test).
I'm just trying to not get behind. I cleaned out my overflow last weekend and it was disgusting. Lots of detritus. Used a shop vac, stirring vigorously, then a fresh sock. The GHA issue isn't bad, but I'm trying to be a better reefer and not just let things go until they're critical.

chrisfont23
10/24/2016, 07:34 PM
How often do you deep clean your sump to remove detritus?
Once every 3 months...

And how often do you vinegar soak the return pump
Never

and skimmer?
Once every 6 months