PDA

View Full Version : New tank (size / builder) input wanted

lolgranny
10/24/2016, 07:11 PM
HEy everyone!
Im looking to purshace a new tank and am on the edge about what size to go with (mostly the height of the tank) and what builder. As of now im looking at something around this-

96"x30"x26 or 28"

I know its only 2 inches difference in depth, but i didnt know if im going to run into problems only using 250w halides off my current 180g tank / 250g system. Also curious for those of you who have tanks similar in size, would u suggest anything size wise different?

Ive contacted 3 different builders so far about a tank 96"x30"26". 3 sided starfire, dual overflows in both corners, blacked out back.

A.G.E was the first builder i got ahold of was them. They responded within a couple hours and have been nothing but great so far. The rep seemed very knowledgeable and helpful. Price - $3800 not shipped / without crate

I also contacted reefsavvy who got back to me right away. Their price is much more and with the work im doing on the remodel of the new house its out of my budget. price -$8100 not shipped / without crate

The last one, and this is my friend getting a price for me as hes friends with the owner is okeanosgroup.com. My friend whos a big reefer on here and the other sites said they have outstanding work. Ive not spoken with anyone, but on their site it looks likt they have good work. Seems like a newer company as i cant find much out there about them. The price was a little more then AGE, dont want to give it out since it was a friends price. Dont want to step on any toes, but again it wasnt far from AGEs quote. Again, no crate / shipping

These are the only places ive got a price from as of yet, i dont know if anyone else has some input i would appreciate it!!

Thanks alot!
Dave

lolgranny
10/25/2016, 12:29 PM
Anyone?

m0nkie
10/25/2016, 12:59 PM
For a tank that size i recommend taller. Or else it looks really really shallow. My tank is 120x36x30. 30 is a little tall for my arms but 28 looks too short. Fish has no room to swim up and down. Imo

lolgranny
10/25/2016, 02:13 PM
For a tank that size i recommend taller. Or else it looks really really shallow. My tank is 120x36x30. 30 is a little tall for my arms but 28 looks too short. Fish has no room to swim up and down. Imo

What kind of lights are you using? I was thinking if i went 30" that my 250w halides wouldnt be enough and i woul dhave to upgrade to 400w. Still keeping the vho / led along with the halides

lolgranny
10/25/2016, 02:14 PM
Just got a reply from Miracles- 4600 with crate / shipping to a pickup location.

m0nkie
10/25/2016, 02:18 PM
What kind of lights are you using? I was thinking if i went 30" that my 250w halides wouldnt be enough and i woul dhave to upgrade to 400w. Still keeping the vho / led along with the halides

I'm using ATI 8 bulb powermodule.

You can change the lights slowly as needed. But you can never change tank size again. With a long tank, it's cool to see fish swim up and down, looping rocks. specially tangs.

my tank is Leemar so I can't comment on a builder. But a lot of my friends chose A.G.E. and loved their tanks. I've seen quite a few AGE tanks in person and they look great! AGE's black silicone tanks looks better than white

Just got a reply from Miracles- 4600 with crate / shipping to a pickup location.

ship it to your door and possibly brought in the house if possible.. I bought my 560gal used.. moving it was a PITA. Don't trust normal moving companies without insurance. Had to choose a rigging company, costed me $2000 to move 50 miles

unless you have a bunch of hydraulic dollies and buff friends, just pay to have it shipped inside

lolgranny
10/25/2016, 02:56 PM
I'm using ATI 8 bulb powermodule.

You can change the lights slowly as needed. But you can never change tank size again. With a long tank, it's cool to see fish swim up and down, looping rocks. specially tangs.

my tank is Leemar so I can't comment on a builder. But a lot of my friends chose A.G.E. and loved their tanks. I've seen quite a few AGE tanks in person and they look great! AGE's black silicone tanks looks better than white

ship it to your door and possibly brought in the house if possible.. I bought my 560gal used.. moving it was a PITA. Don't trust normal moving companies without insurance. Had to choose a rigging company, costed me $2000 to move 50 miles

unless you have a bunch of hydraulic dollies and buff friends, just pay to have it shipped inside

This is true, i didnt think about it this way! Good call, ill go 30". Dont think i want to go much deeper although im a 6'5" orangutan. lol

As for moving, thats also a great call. I rather not have to worry about it. Im not even sure how much a empty tank like that weighs. I had a moving company my friend owns move my 12person hot tub onto a 10' deck and it weighed over 1200lbs empty. That was a pain

lolgranny
10/25/2016, 02:57 PM
Did they charge extra to get it inside or was that included in the 2k?

saf1
10/25/2016, 04:54 PM
Give concept aquariums calgary a email / call if you haven't already. Couldn't hurt. That is who I ended up with after calling a few other builders. I'm only 240 gallons though but shipped to Cali.

m0nkie
10/25/2016, 07:14 PM
Did they charge extra to get it inside or was that included in the 2k?

it's included. I posted some pictures in my built thread

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2601076

I think my tank with steel stand weighted around 4000-5000lbs

lolgranny
10/25/2016, 09:09 PM
it's included. I posted some pictures in my built thread

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2601076

I think my tank with steel stand weighted around 4000-5000lbs

Oh yes, i looked at this not too long ago. That looks like a painnnnn ! How do you like the size?

MarkW64
10/26/2016, 09:12 PM
I picked up my 230g Miracles from a terminal, didnt cost much to move it the rest of the way: less than $100 for truck rental with two furniture dollies. I drove the truck to the terminal, they loaded it on the truck with forklift, I drove to my house. Got seven friends to help, lifted crate, put dollies underneath, rolled off truck ramp right through front door and next to my stand. Removed top and sides of crate, used all eight of us to lift onto stand. Less than $100 for beer and pizza.

lolgranny
10/27/2016, 12:25 PM
I picked up my 230g Miracles from a terminal, didnt cost much to move it the rest of the way: less than $100 for truck rental with two furniture dollies. I drove the truck to the terminal, they loaded it on the truck with forklift, I drove to my house. Got seven friends to help, lifted crate, put dollies underneath, rolled off truck ramp right through front door and next to my stand. Removed top and sides of crate, used all eight of us to lift onto stand. Less than $100 for beer and pizza.

You sound exactly like me lol. Beer, pizza, and some friends to help.

How do you like the tank? How long have you had it? Any photos?