PDA

View Full Version : Can Reef Tank Water Be Too Clear?

HidingReefer
10/24/2016, 07:44 PM
well as the title says
Can Reef Tank Water Be Too Clear?
is it a bad thing if it's too clear?
I know when the water clears up, more light goes through, increasing par levels, other than that, is there any other issue?

heathlindner25
10/24/2016, 07:56 PM
No.

chrisfont23
10/24/2016, 07:56 PM
Clear as in nutrient free? I suppose not for light, but more for ability of corals to get what they need out of the water column to survive. I am a believer that my corals need nutrients to survive. What level is up to the reefer, but something needs to be in the water column to promote growth. I have had tanks of zero nitrates with carbon dosing and tanks with higher levels of nitrate (< 40 ppm). I have found that in both situations, acclimating the corals to the dirtier/cleaner water after the water was too clean/dirty (respectively) caused some corals to go into "stagnation" for a while before adjusting.

Mad_Reefer
10/24/2016, 07:58 PM
Too clean and some things will need more food added. But too clear is not an issue otherwise, as far as I know. But I've always seen a little. When I had a six foot tank it looked clear through two feet, but lengthwise I could see some stuff in the water. Clams, and all corals seemed to grow well.

HidingReefer
10/24/2016, 08:34 PM
Ok alright, thanks

Maritimer
10/24/2016, 08:48 PM
Depends what you're keeping, I suppose . . .

Clams, electric flame scallops, feather-duster worms, sponges and other filter-feeders wouldn't mind a few little specks drifting past their outstretched acquisition apparatus throughout the day or night!

~Bruce

ca1ore
10/24/2016, 10:12 PM
It cannot be too clear, no.

Breadman03
10/24/2016, 10:23 PM
I would, however, note that clearing your water too quickly can cause problems. I moved tanks and the increased light bleached out all of my stuff over the course of a couple days. I went from a Rubbermaid stock tank to a glass 150 with a coast to coast overflow along with about 50% new water. My lights were the same, but reduced intensity by 20%.

Buzz1329
10/25/2016, 07:49 PM
Yes. If water clears significantly and increases PAR too quickly over light-sensitive coral, then you could have a problem.

toothybugs
10/26/2016, 05:58 AM
I think the take-home message from this is 'no, it can't be too clear, but rapid change can be detrimental.' Which holds with what we accept: rapid change is reef tanks is generally unwise.

Timfish
10/26/2016, 06:48 AM
Yes.

Here's quotes from two experts on corals and reefs:

"Our crystal clear aquaria do not come close to the nutrient loads that swirl around natural reefs. And so when we create low-nutrient water conditions, we still have to deal with the rest of a much more complex puzzle. Much like those who run their aquarium water temperature close to the thermal maximums of corals walk a narrow tight rope, I can't help but think that low-nutrient aquariums may be headed down a similar path." Charles Delbeck, Coral Nov/Dec 2010, pg 127

"Imported nutrients are usually transported to reefs from rivers; but if there are no rivers, as with reefs remote from land masses, nutrients can only come from surface ocean circulation. Often this supply is poor, and thus the vast ocean expanses have been refered to as "nutrient deserts". The Indo-Pacific has many huge atolls in these supposed deserts which testify to the resilience of reefs, but the corals themselves may lack the lush appearance of those of more fertile waters. Many reefs have another major supply of inorganic nutrients as, under certain conditions, surface currents moving against a reef face may cause deep ocean water to be drawn to the surface. This "upwelled" water is often rich in phosphorus [2.0 mg/l] and other essential chemicals." J. E. N. Veron "Corals of Austrailia and the Indo-Pacific" pg 30

HidingReefer
11/02/2016, 08:09 PM
Tim fish thank you for that, thanks guys for answering my question

ca1ore
11/02/2016, 09:10 PM
Clear and nutrient free are not the same thing. I've done a lot of scuba diving on reefs in many parts of the world and the water is very clear. Whether it was also nutrient free or not I cannot say.

saf1
11/02/2016, 10:23 PM
Clear and nutrient free are not the same thing. I've done a lot of scuba diving on reefs in many parts of the world and the water is very clear. Whether it was also nutrient free or not I cannot say.

But has an active scuba diver we do note visibility. Albeit surface or at depth. Be it due to weather, current, plankton, or anything else. Water conditions vary and with that so does nutrients and quality.

Reef aquaria water can be too clean - to the point of being sterile.