PDA

View Full Version : Australian vs Indo Tusk ID

criticalencore
10/24/2016, 08:34 PM
So last weekened I broke down my 550g reef tank so I can finally add shrimp and snails... I had to remove a couple fish including my tuskfish. I was always under the impression it was Australian because of its colors vs a friends indo that seems way browner. Anyways I posted it for sale local ($125 for a 5-6" long tusk, I felt like that is fair) but one person is questioning if its a Australian because it doesn't have orange on the tip of the tail. So I'm actually wondering now if it is Australian. I believe it has blue teeth but its so reclusive is one of the reasons I was ready to get rid of it, but mainly for the shrimp and snails. Anyways, Ill try to get better pics but from these can it be ID'd?

Thanks

criticalencore
10/24/2016, 08:41 PM
I can try for better pics but this is in one of my sumps

cougareyes
10/24/2016, 09:07 PM
That's one indicator, but also aussie's have more blue where the indos are more orange. Check out the listing from liveaquaria. At 5-6" he should be displaying full coloration, from the pictures yours does look more indo.
http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=15+1379+380&pcatid=380

Winwood
10/24/2016, 10:21 PM
I was under the impression that most color differences are actually size/age related and not regional. If you look at liveaquaria's example, the two fish apear to be quite different in size. Also, juvenile Australians are rarely offered for sale. My guess is they are indistinguishable from Indonesian ones. I think the supposed color difference between the two locations was a way to justify the much higher priced Australian specimens.

s.reef
10/25/2016, 11:15 AM
That is definitely an Indo. The reason you only see larger Aussies is the collection regulations in Australia are much stricter. Ive seen a few Aussie sub adults and the colors are much more significant than similar sized Indos.

Dmorty217
10/25/2016, 12:00 PM
The tusk in question still has its juvenile eyespot so it may still be too early to properly ID. Juveniles do come out of Australia, but they are much less frequent and usually go to Asia

Winwood
10/25/2016, 12:29 PM
So just a little personal annectdote. I have ordered HTs from various wholesalers throughout the last 15 years or so. Mostly indo because after all either the person or myself have to resell the fish for a profit. However, a couple years ago I ordered one of each from one of the LA wholesalers. My intention was to keep the Austin as a personal pet. Both were purchased as large sized individuals. Despite a slight size difference, both fish were almost identical in appearance. Same amount of blue/green between the stripes. Both had a red border at the end of the tail, and both were essentially equally as vibrant. The only real difference I could tell was the amount I paid for them on the invoice. Did I receive two from the same location on accident? I don't know. Did one of the packagers mistake one for the other? Again I don't know. The question that came to mind on that scenario was if he packagers can't tell the difference when both fish are right in front of them, is there a noticeable difference in variants?

CuttleGuy
10/25/2016, 02:47 PM
Indo fo sho lol

MreasyC
10/25/2016, 02:49 PM
Indo. Especially if you bought is smaller. I've never seen an Aussie one for sale under 5 inches

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Walla2GSP
10/25/2016, 06:19 PM
Harlequin Tusks can have white, orange, or blue tail markings regardless of locality so using the tail color as an indicator is inaccurate. Visually the two are indistinguishable from each other, the price difference simply reflects cost of import as it costs more to import a Harlequin from Australia than it does from Indonesia. I would sell it as what I bought it as. Indonesian is the more likely, but if you paid for an Australian sell it as an Australian.

criticalencore
10/25/2016, 08:44 PM
I paid around 100 like 2 years ago. I dont care about the money just that it gets a good size tank. Just curious as a buyer seemed concerned. I know its healthy.

Sent from my SM-G935R4 using Tapatalk

Jeff4777
10/26/2016, 04:30 AM
Indo.

acebigalowe
10/26/2016, 07:29 AM
In my experiences and encounters, the Aussie is more hardy, more blue, and more vivid overall.

Dmorty217
10/26/2016, 07:50 AM
Indo. Especially if you bought is smaller. I've never seen an Aussie one for sale under 5 inches

Divers Den had several juveniles from Australia over the past 6 months. Everyone seems to think that small or juvenile Tusks never come out of Australia, but thats not accurate.

MreasyC
10/26/2016, 11:24 AM
Divers Den had several juveniles from Australia over the past 6 months. Everyone seems to think that small or juvenile Tusks never come out of Australia, but thats not accurate.

Good to know! I guess I meant locally in SoCal

anbosu
10/26/2016, 02:41 PM

In the past I think this was mostly because they were caught with a hand line - guess they must have changed that practice or removed a restriction around catching juveniles.

anbosu
10/26/2016, 02:43 PM
I paid around 100 like 2 years ago. I dont care about the money just that it gets a good size tank. Just curious as a buyer seemed concerned. I know its healthy.

Sent from my SM-G935R4 using Tapatalk

$100 for it now is still a pretty reasonable price. At that price point I would assume it's not an Aussie, but maybe you have a hookup.

cougareyes
10/26/2016, 08:50 PM
Not sure if I would trust divers den, I've seen them list painted anglers listed as wartskin anglers twice over the last few months.