PDA

View Full Version : 57 macro tank

anthonys51
10/25/2016, 04:47 PM
about to start a 57 macro tank. that will be part of my 600 gallon new system

i will also have a refugium in my sump with cheato, so cheato is out for the 57 tank . this tank will be more of a display type tank, with the added benefit of exporting nutrients not as much a factor .

was just looking for advice on the best type of macro algae to grow.
witch ones are the easiest to grow and least likely to make its way into my main tank.

also are seahorses able to be kept at 78 degrees. hearing mixed reviews. i would like to make it a seahorse tank,
are there any topical species of sea horses or are captive breed ones more likely able to handle the higher temp

jraker
10/25/2016, 06:03 PM
If you want display macros, there are some pretty cool reds and blues. The easiest to grow would probably be caulerpa, but they might make it into your main tank. Do you have any herbivores in your main tank such as tangs? They would probably eat any that gets in. Check out live-plants.com, they have samplers if you want to try out different species of macros. Good luck.

anthonys51
10/25/2016, 06:10 PM
yes i have tangs in my display tanks. do all tangs eat all types of caulerpa

jraker
10/25/2016, 07:36 PM
From what I know, they will probably eat anything that makes it way there.

Michael Hoaster
10/25/2016, 09:31 PM
If it's for display, get what looks cool to you. If it is plumbed in with your reef, you're not going to have enough nutrients for fast growing caulerpas, so reds may be your best choice. If your reef runs a bit dirty, you'll have more options. Tangs will definitely take care of any escapee macros.

From what I've read, captive-bred seahorses are the best option.

anthonys51
10/25/2016, 09:51 PM
If it's for display, get what looks cool to you. If it is plumbed in with your reef, you're not going to have enough nutrients for fast growing caulerpas, so reds may be your best choice. If your reef runs a bit dirty, you'll have more options. Tangs will definitely take care of any escapee macros.

From what I've read, captive-bred seahorses are the best option.

Ok thanks so start with the reds yes it will be all plumbed together. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ron Reefman
10/26/2016, 05:33 AM
I looked a lot at doing a seahorse tank attached to my reef and I found 2 things discouraging. One seahorses aren't cheap and they don't live very long, some are as short as a year and best is about 5 years. Second, in warmer water, above 72F, they are more prone to a virus that kills them. Below 72F the virus doesn't survive so it's MUCH better for the seahorse.

Just a couple of things to consider.

anthonys51
10/26/2016, 06:21 AM
Thanks Ron I found that too. Just wasn't sure if there was one species out there that could live in warner water

BlueCat1949
10/26/2016, 07:49 AM
You could try any macros that you find appealing. Not all are easy to grow but some of the harder ones are really nice looking when they get established.

As to seahorses they really require a tank designed just for them. Making an in line tank with a reef will not work at 78 degrees. Hippocampus erectus is a hearty species and captive bred erectus are readily available.

anthonys51
10/26/2016, 01:09 PM
You could try any macros that you find appealing. Not all are easy to grow but some of the harder ones are really nice looking when they get established.

As to seahorses they really require a tank designed just for them. Making an in line tank with a reef will not work at 78 degrees. Hippocampus erectus is a hearty species and captive bred erectus are readily available.

THANKS for the advice. think i might just put a stone fish in there always liked them, would look cool with the macros

Bobbitworm13
10/26/2016, 05:17 PM
I love stonefish. Get one and if anyone breaks into your house, through the stonefish at them.

Bobbitworm13
10/26/2016, 05:18 PM
* throw

Michael Hoaster
10/26/2016, 05:41 PM
A stonefish sounds fun!

anthonys51
10/26/2016, 07:21 PM
Or maybe cuddle fish