PDA

View Full Version : Preparing to get a herd!

vlangel
10/29/2016, 08:40 AM
I have a question:
I just transferred everything from my 36 gallon bowfront into a 56 gallon column. I upgraded for a couple of reasons, 1. I wanted to go bare bottom on this tank and paint it underneath to look like sand, 2. I would like to keep more than 2 seahorses.

I have 1 seahorse currently, a royal gramma, and some snails. I moved all the rock and coral and am using the same 20 gallon sump. I expect a small mini cycle but the tank should be stable in a week or so.

I would like to buy 3 more seahorses (all at the same time if possible) but that will be quite a quick increase in bioload. What is the best way to handle that? Should I slowly increase how much I am feeding the tank? (Eve, my mare will be all about that!). Should I just get the 3 ponies and watch the tank closely and increase my water changes even more than I normally would? Or (and I am hoping that this is not the answer)should I only add 1 or 2 seahorses at a time.

DanU
10/29/2016, 09:10 AM
If the tank is currently stable, it should be ok. It may or may not go through a mini cycle but should catch up quickly. You could also be proactive by adding some additional bacteria such as Bio-spira or another product.
If it were me, I would add all at the same time rather than individually. Cheaper on shipping and less hassles with quarantines.

Dan

vlangel
10/29/2016, 09:19 AM
If the tank is currently stable, it should be ok. It may or may not go through a mini cycle but should catch up quickly. You could also be proactive by adding some additional bacteria such as Bio-spira or another product.
If it were me, I would add all at the same time rather than individually. Cheaper on shipping and less hassles with quarantines.

Dan
Thank you Dan, that is exactly what I was thinking and hoping. Today I am heading to a lfs for biospira since I have used that successfully in past tank transfers.
Can I put all 3 new ponies in a 10 gallon QT tank with live rock that I have? I have a prism skimmer that I can put on it and of course I will be watching ammonia.