PDA

View Full Version : What are you feeding your fish?

ajoe
10/29/2016, 09:27 PM
Like the title says. Curious what people are feeding their fish and why?

Frozen Food Only?
Pellet Food Only?
Combination of the two?

ca1ore
10/29/2016, 09:34 PM
Frozen primarily - mysis, spirulina brine, ocean plankton, Calanus, masago roe, LRS, rods. Some pellets. Variety is important to fish health (particularly since I don't use a vitamin supplement).

ajoe
10/29/2016, 09:37 PM
Frozen primarily - mysis, spirulina brine, ocean plankton, Calanus, masago roe, LRS, rods. Some pellets. Variety is important to fish health (particularly since I don't use a vitamin supplement).

Ditto on that. I like a mix as well but I know many have switched to pellets only in lieu of the phosphates etc. I guess I like giving my little guys a bit of variety seeing as they are captive and don't have a choice.

ca1ore
10/29/2016, 09:38 PM
Oh, and forgot to mention lots of nori sheets and grazer rings.

Not sure why pellets would necessarily contribute less to phosphates? Plus some fish won't eat them.

xREEFINaintEZx
10/30/2016, 09:23 AM
Hey guys, I've been using these... I love New life spectrum but you CAN NOT over feed them it. (I'd have to go back to my notes but I think the protein is not regulated) Back when I was researching foods I kept finding people saying flakes and nori will leach out more phos then pellets. At first I didn't know what to believe... After I did a few experiments I learned a little more. I fed all pellets for 2 weeks, then I fed all flakes and nori for 2 weeks. I got higher phos readings when I was using the flakes...

devimik
10/30/2016, 09:55 AM
I feed mine frozen PE mysis, frozen regular mysis (smaller), frozen brine shrimp, frozen bloodworms, spirulina flakes, plankton flakes, reef crack, and nori.

FirstContact
10/30/2016, 01:18 PM
I used to feed nori and a whole variety from A to Z of frozen foods. I kept a large amount of frozen foods in the freezer and just rotated what I fed them on a daily basis. Now I just feed nori, grazer wheels, and NLS pellets. I don't miss the frozen food myself too much because of the extra time involved of cutting, defrosting, and rinsing everything, but I can see how the fish have less of a variety and balanced diet. Dry food is sooo much easier though. There's no preparation, and I feed every other day now. Also on the other hand, dry food doesn't exist in the ocean and is not a natural food source.

Digitalelectric
10/30/2016, 02:34 PM
Nori and mysis.

chrisfont23
10/30/2016, 03:48 PM
Nori, mysis and brine shrimp (live and frozen). Flakes on occasion or when I ask others to feed for me.

ajoe
10/30/2016, 04:54 PM
Hey guys, I've been using these... I love New life spectrum but you CAN NOT over feed them it. (I'd have to go back to my notes but I think the protein is not regulated) Back when I was researching foods I kept finding people saying flakes and nori will leach out more phos then pellets. At first I didn't know what to believe... After I did a few experiments I learned a little more. I fed all pellets for 2 weeks, then I fed all flakes and nori for 2 weeks. I got higher phos readings when I was using the flakes...

Thanks for the pic REEFIN. Nice variety.

Buzz1329
10/30/2016, 05:30 PM
LIVE

Baby brine shrimp hatched each week in Brine Shrimp Direct hatcheries. http://www.brineshrimpdirect.com/c1/hatchery-dish-p183.html

This is a foolproof way to hatch BBS. Provides BBS for about 3-4 feedings. I have one for each tank and fill with water removed from tanks during water changes.

FROZEN

I feed one of the following in each tank daily

Larry's Reef Frenzy;

Mysis Shrimp;

Assortment of Ocean Nutrition FF, including Formula 1 and 2, Prime Reef, Brine Shrimp Plus;

Rod's Food.

DRY

Nori

2 x 1" x 4" strips daily in my 75 containing yellow eyed Kole Tang and Single Spot Foxface.

6 x 1" x 4" strips in my 180 containing Yellow, Purple, and Sailfin Tangs;

Ocean Nutrition Formula 2 flakes (use it in my 180 tank once/twice a week instead of nori);

Blue Reef mix (BR says it is a blend of 13 different foods). I feed pinch of it in both tanks in am along with nori.

Good luck,

Mike

Jscwerve
10/31/2016, 06:47 AM
I make a "chum" of LRS Reef frenzy, PE mysis, and PE calnus. I will thaw enough in a specimen container that it lasts for about two days worth of feedings (container is kept in the fridge). Feedings are twice a day, morning and night.

Supplement with nori on a clip every afternoon. A 1/4 sheet piece. Nori is the brand from the local grocery store.

K1LL3R33F
10/31/2016, 07:18 AM
I feed pretty basic foods to my fish. Frozen: Hikari Mysis Shrimp, Hikari Brine Shrimp, Brine with spirulina, every now and then I do Hikari Mega Marine. Dry: Omega one Micro pellets, Nori