PDA

View Full Version : Yet another Photon V2 light intensity spreadsheet

DonR
10/30/2016, 11:13 AM
Greetings,

I have modified the spreadsheet that calculates and displays the hourly intensity settings for the 6-channel Photon V2 LED fixture over a 12 hour day. The differences are:

1. Instead of calculating and entering the max absolute intensities for each channel, you enter the max absolute intensity for the Royal Blue channel only, and you enter the ratios of the other five channels as percentages of the Royal Blue channel. The resulting table maintains these ratios throughout the 12-hour day.

2. Instead of the starting hour having zero intensity for all channels, the intensity for each channel at the starting hour is calculated as the starting hour plus five minutes - so if the Royal Blue max intensity is at least 23, there will be some non-zero intensity at the starting hour.

3. The tables include the color names in addition to the channel numbers.

The spreadsheet is protected, so you can only type in the seven fields that don't have a grey background color. This is to protect the formulas from inadvertent modification. There is no password needed to disable the protection in case you want to change the formulas.

You can open the spreadsheet in Excel, or in the free spreadsheet application included with OpenOffice.

Here is a link to the spreadsheet:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/80it5d2vwha5bk9/My%20Photon%20V2%20Chart.xlsx?dl=0

Don

Reefer40b
10/30/2016, 07:06 PM
Great job thanks for this!

Ron Reefman
10/31/2016, 04:40 AM
Don, thanks for the program. It's a worthwhile tool. Especially if you are looking to have a smooth transition and maintain the ratios between channels. Very nice.

It really doesn't fit my needs as I do vary the mix of channels quite a bit from hour to hour, like all blue for the first 2 and last 2 and the white mix becomes a bigger and bigger percentage as the sunrise progresses and then the white mix goes down as a percentage during sunset. I also run a 3 hour midday at my high settings before I start the sunset. But this does give a good graphic look at what we set things at. Nice work.

Reef_Breeders
10/31/2016, 09:27 AM
Thanks Don,

I really appreciate you building this, I have much to learn about formulas in excel!

LJLKRL
10/31/2016, 12:52 PM
Nice!
I did something similar, but not near as nice looking, for mine trying to mimic the settings for the Coral Labs LPS settings for Radions.
Thanks!

juniorrocketdad
10/31/2016, 07:33 PM
Don, thanks for the program. It's a worthwhile tool. Especially if you are looking to have a smooth transition and maintain the ratios between channels. Very nice.

It really doesn't fit my needs as I do vary the mix of channels quite a bit from hour to hour, like all blue for the first 2 and last 2 and the white mix becomes a bigger and bigger percentage as the sunrise progresses and then the white mix goes down as a percentage during sunset. I also run a 3 hour midday at my high settings before I start the sunset. But this does give a good graphic look at what we set things at. Nice work.

Do you have a spreadsheet for your schedule

Ron Reefman
11/01/2016, 03:40 AM
Do you have a spreadsheet for your schedule

I do, but I need to figure out how to post it here.:debi:

Ron Reefman
11/11/2016, 08:52 AM
OK, after vacation and remedial computer education by my wife, I now can get it posted here.

http://i395.photobucket.com/albums/pp37/RonReefman/Photon%20schedule%20jpeg%20R1_zps85vcccbv.jpg (http://s395.photobucket.com/user/RonReefman/media/Photon%20schedule%20jpeg%20R1_zps85vcccbv.jpg.html)

SPotter
11/14/2016, 11:48 AM
nice spread sheet Ron. why no red or green?

Ron Reefman
11/15/2016, 09:10 AM
nice spread sheet Ron. why no red or green?

I think the coral gets enough red and green spectrum from the white leds (white leds are a mix of red, green and blue). And in my tank there are a lot of shadows from overhanging rocks and corals. The shadows end up with a lot of red and green edges due to the red and green leds. So people call it the 'disco effect' and I don't particularly like the look.

Now over my display refugium I run 100% red and green, 80% white and 40% on both blues and the violet channels. The macro algaes do better with warm white and specifically red spectrum.

You can see the difference below which is midday intensity for both.

http://i395.photobucket.com/albums/pp37/RonReefman/20161018_170631_zpsfaas63gv.jpg (http://s395.photobucket.com/user/RonReefman/media/20161018_170631_zpsfaas63gv.jpg.html)

LJLKRL
11/15/2016, 10:53 AM
I think the coral gets enough red and green spectrum from the white leds (white leds are a mix of red, green and blue). And in my tank there are a lot of shadows from overhanging rocks and corals. The shadows end up with a lot of red and green edges due to the red and green leds. So people call it the 'disco effect' and I don't particularly like the look.

Now over my display refugium I run 100% red and green, 80% white and 40% on both blues and the violet channels. The macro algaes do better with warm white and specifically red spectrum.

You can see the difference below which is midday intensity for both.

Ron how long did it take you to ramp up to those numbers?

Ron Reefman
11/16/2016, 01:39 AM
I was at those kind of numbers with my old EverGrow (RB Photon) fixtures over my old tank, so there was no acclimation needed. And I have a PAR meter so I could confirm that I was getting the same kind of intensity as my old fixtures.

If somebody is switching from t5 to Photon V2; I'd start with Logan's recommendations and ramp up about 10% on either blues or whites every week. Ramping up both blues and whites on the V2 fixture at the same time I would only do 5% every week.