PDA

View Full Version : flexible pipe recommendation plz

yraveh
10/31/2016, 07:41 AM
Good morning,
I am frustrated. I need a segment of flexible (corrugated?) pipe from my tank to refugium . It needs to go over the OD of 1 in PVC pipe in both ends. the Eshopps pipes come in a fixed lengths. 1 inch pvc wouldn't go into the cut end even after heating.

Please advise.

Vinny Kreyling
10/31/2016, 08:05 AM
Take a piece of pipe to a POOL store.

mcgyvr
10/31/2016, 08:12 AM
It needs to go over the OD of 1 in PVC pipe in both ends. the Eshopps pipes come in a fixed lengths. 1 inch pvc wouldn't go into the cut end even after heating.

You NEED to simply get appropriate fittings..
You don't slide any tubing over PVC... Thats just not the right way..
You would slide it over a barbed fitting or appropriate sleeve,etc...

Eshopps also used metric stuff I believe..

Vinny Kreyling
10/31/2016, 08:30 AM
Mcgyvr,
The cuff on the end of pool hose when dipped in hot water will slide over PVC pipe.
You just need the right size hose.
I then clamp it & have not had any problems or leaks.

yraveh
10/31/2016, 08:44 AM
Take a piece of pipe to a POOL store.

why would I take the pipe to pool store. or do you mean buy a pool store pipe?
are they different in ID than those sold for aquariums?

yraveh
10/31/2016, 08:46 AM
Mcgyvr,
The cuff on the end of pool hose when dipped in hot water will slide over PVC pipe.

So what is the right size hose to go over the OD of 1 in pvc pipe, and where do I get it?
BTW do you use metal clamp?

yraveh
10/31/2016, 08:47 AM
ooops sorry, I just realize you were referring to a pool hose.

cougareyes
10/31/2016, 09:01 AM
my bad thought you were talking flexible pvc

mcgyvr
10/31/2016, 09:15 AM
Mcgyvr,

I know...
But thats a "cuff" or as I stated "appropriate sleeve" thats added to the tube..
The tube itself is not meant to be used solely and just slid over the OD of PVC.

mcgyvr
10/31/2016, 09:19 AM
why would I take the pipe to pool store. or do you mean buy a pool store pipe?
are they different in ID than those sold for aquariums?

Take the 2 pieces you are wanting to join via flexible to either a hardware store or pool store,etc... Tell them what you want.. They will get you setup..
There are multiple ways to do it based on whats available and your desired intent..

It could be slip to barb fittings for tube or thread to barb with a slip to thread adapter or a collar or many other options..

laverda
10/31/2016, 09:51 AM
Can you just use 1" ultraflex pvc? It is much more flexable then standard flexable pvc. I just eisj it was available in 1.25"

yraveh
10/31/2016, 10:05 AM
I may try ultraflex if it flexible enough. where did you order it from? Is the outer diameter of 1 inch the same as rigid 1 inch PVC? can it fit into 1 inch abs bulkhead or into regular 1 in fitting?

undbulsu
10/31/2016, 11:59 AM
I'm sure you can find the necessary adapters.
http://www.loc-line.com/

laverda
10/31/2016, 01:27 PM
It can be used with standard pvc fittings and abs bulkheads. 1" will bend much tighter the standard flexable pvc. My guess is in will do as small as a 12" circle. http://m.marinedepot.com/products/ft1373/flexible-pvc-pipe-10-feet-roll

ericarenee
10/31/2016, 03:52 PM
Go to lowes or home depot

buy
2 1inch slip to 1 inch barb fitting, you might have to buy a 1 inch slip to 1 inch threaded adapter (male or female adapter) and a 1 inch barb to match the above...
two male and two female if no slip to barb is available

then a piece of 1 inch reinforced vinyl tubing (black is best to deter algae from groing )

your way over thinking this....

:headwally: