PDA

View Full Version : BRS Investigates: LED light diffusers - Are they a gimmick, or do they offer value?

RT_BRS
10/31/2016, 11:18 AM
Hey there folks!

Friday's episode of BRStv was a good one, be sure to check it out here if you haven't yet!

http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/video/view/brstv-investigates-do-led-light-diffusers-have-a-place-in-the-reef-tank/

or watch it here:

1tQzKllGfxA

As always, please let us know if there is something you'd like to see tested!

gus6464
11/04/2016, 12:47 PM
Where is the new one with the Coralcare? I have been waiting all week :D

RT_BRS
11/04/2016, 01:04 PM
Where is the new one with the Coralcare? I have been waiting all week :D

It's looking like we are shooting to release that next Friday :)

gus6464
11/04/2016, 01:17 PM
It's looking like we are shooting to release that next Friday :)
Well that's a shame. You guys said this week but oh well.

RT_BRS
11/04/2016, 03:01 PM
Well that's a shame. You guys said this week but oh well.

Sorry to disappoint, our schedule got a little messed up - we're really looking forward to testing this light!

Connorfood
03/03/2017, 10:18 AM
Hey, I'd be really interested to know how diffusion material would work on a Radion. I just purchased two used XR15 G3 radons to replace my Kessil A160s and found the disco/color banding to be terrible when viewing the tank in 12k mode. I went to a local AV shop and bought some light diffuser gel (ROSCO 117 and 116) and mounted some about a half inch below the Radion puck, and it instantly gave a much more even spread of light, and got rid of any color banding. I now only get a single white shimmer, instead of dancing red/green/blue/white shimmers all flashing around.

The only thing is I can't tell how much of a hit I took on PAR because of it. I already have them mounted high (about 18 inches off the water) and with the diffusion gel I had to turn them up 20% higher brightness to get the same visual brightness in the tank, but I have no way of knowing if that was enough (or too much) to account for the lost PAR due to the diffusion material.

This seems like something that a lot of people might be interested in, as its the only flaw I really have with the Radion, is the intense disco you get from individual lenses. You guys are well set up to quickly test a radion with and without diffusion gel (you could try different gels, I tested 116 and 117 which are half white, and full white from ROSCO, but there are closer to 15 options you could test just from ROSCO.

It would be really cool if EcoTech themselves released a diffusion filter like Kessil did here, as I'm sure we could turn up our Radions to account for the loss in PAR, since I don't know anyone that runs a radion past 70% anyway.

Just wanted to share my results, and see if BRS might be able to do a slightly more controlled scientific look at the idea.

Randy_BRS
03/03/2017, 11:39 AM
Hey, I'd be really interested to know how diffusion material would work on a Radion. I just purchased two used XR15 G3 radons to replace my Kessil A160s and found the disco/color banding to be terrible when viewing the tank in 12k mode. I went to a local AV shop and bought some light diffuser gel (ROSCO 117 and 116) and mounted some about a half inch below the Radion puck, and it instantly gave a much more even spread of light, and got rid of any color banding. I now only get a single white shimmer, instead of dancing red/green/blue/white shimmers all flashing around.

The only thing is I can't tell how much of a hit I took on PAR because of it. I already have them mounted high (about 18 inches off the water) and with the diffusion gel I had to turn them up 20% higher brightness to get the same visual brightness in the tank, but I have no way of knowing if that was enough (or too much) to account for the lost PAR due to the diffusion material.

This seems like something that a lot of people might be interested in, as its the only flaw I really have with the Radion, is the intense disco you get from individual lenses. You guys are well set up to quickly test a radion with and without diffusion gel (you could try different gels, I tested 116 and 117 which are half white, and full white from ROSCO, but there are closer to 15 options you could test just from ROSCO.

It would be really cool if EcoTech themselves released a diffusion filter like Kessil did here, as I'm sure we could turn up our Radions to account for the loss in PAR, since I don't know anyone that runs a radion past 70% anyway.

Just wanted to share my results, and see if BRS might be able to do a slightly more controlled scientific look at the idea.

With so many DIY options out there that reefers could use as a diffuser, I don't think we would be able to create a meaningful video to compare them all. I think the most we can hope for is that they do come out with some sort of diffuser specifically for the Radions. Now that we could put the the full test! :-)

Connorfood
03/03/2017, 01:01 PM
I think you really would only need to test one diffuser, that you think would have the best results. After a fair bit of research I landed on the ROSCO 117 "1/2 tough white diffusion" and it seems to not block that much light, but I think a meaningful video could be made just discussing the pros and cons to adding a diffusion material such as this to a powerful LED light like a radion. The diffusion filter is very readily available, and I know a lot of people in my local reefing community are very interested to get some after seeing my results. We just don't have the resources to properly test how it affects PAR.

cmatlosz
03/06/2017, 01:52 PM
Also very interested in the effects some of these LED diffusing materials have on PAR and spectrum output. I tried out the Rosco Cinegel "Silent Frost" just based on description but it ended up being a little more dense than I expected. While I understand there are tons of different versions out there so you can't provide meaningful results to all of them, it does seem like a good opportunity to test and mabye even provide a couple options via your website for customers to purchase. With all the DIY LED projects out there, this seems like a great product opportunity, especially considering the diffuser entries from Kessil and Phillips with the coralcare. Seems like you guys are already 95% of the way there to do some simple tests.

Randy_BRS
03/06/2017, 06:37 PM
I think you really would only need to test one diffuser, that you think would have the best results. After a fair bit of research I landed on the ROSCO 117 "1/2 tough white diffusion" and it seems to not block that much light, but I think a meaningful video could be made just discussing the pros and cons to adding a diffusion material such as this to a powerful LED light like a radion. The diffusion filter is very readily available, and I know a lot of people in my local reefing community are very interested to get some after seeing my results. We just don't have the resources to properly test how it affects PAR.

Also very interested in the effects some of these LED diffusing materials have on PAR and spectrum output. I tried out the Rosco Cinegel "Silent Frost" just based on description but it ended up being a little more dense than I expected. While I understand there are tons of different versions out there so you can't provide meaningful results to all of them, it does seem like a good opportunity to test and mabye even provide a couple options via your website for customers to purchase. With all the DIY LED projects out there, this seems like a great product opportunity, especially considering the diffuser entries from Kessil and Phillips with the coralcare. Seems like you guys are already 95% of the way there to do some simple tests.

Hmm... This Rosco stuff is interesting! I'll have to bring it up in our next product meeting to see if it is something we can bring in and test. :thumbsup:

-Randy