PDA

View Full Version : Cyano in Fuge?

meverha1
10/31/2016, 11:51 AM
I have a Fuge in a 40 gallon sump. The fuge itself is probably 10 gallons with a bunch of live rock and some chaeto.

Tank is about 2 months old.
I'm running GFO, carbon, and dosing with NOPOX. Display tank looks fine, except for the occasional diatom outbreak.

I'm having a cyano outbreak in the fuge. I'd say about 1/2 of the rocks in the fugue have cyano on them and my chaeto ends up covered.

I placed a powerhead in the fuge to increase flow and I've gone several nights "lights out." Nothing really seems to help.

Any suggestions?

chrisfont23
10/31/2016, 11:55 AM
Well - it's best to be there now and not the display tank, isn't it? :)

I have had luck siphoning it out with a turkey baster. Should be easy to manage with 10 gallons. Jut have some extra water handy in case you need it. What kind of lights are you running in the refugium? Perhaps they are too bright?

meverha1
10/31/2016, 12:19 PM
Well - it's best to be there now and not the display tank, isn't it? :)

I have had luck siphoning it out with a turkey baster. Should be easy to manage with 10 gallons. Jut have some extra water handy in case you need it. What kind of lights are you running in the refugium? Perhaps they are too bright?

I'm just running a 6500K CFL.

Brooklyn11220
10/31/2016, 12:30 PM
I would suggest you get a led bulb and put it on a timer, reverse light cycle.

meverha1
10/31/2016, 12:39 PM
I would suggest you get a led bulb and put it on a timer, reverse light cycle.

The CFL is currently on a reverse light cycle. Is there a big difference between a CFL and a LED as far as cyano growth is concerned?

RobZilla04
10/31/2016, 02:03 PM
The CFL is currently on a reverse light cycle. Is there a big difference between a CFL and a LED as far as cyano growth is concerned?

Doubtful. I had the same prob, cyano in my cheato. Sounds like a song you'd hear at a Mexican restaurant, lol.

I tossed the old chaeto and swapped for new. Now the new stuffy is turning white and withering away. I suspect because I have GFO and have driven the phosphates so low.

Still a better problem to have in the sump and not the DT.

mcgyvr
10/31/2016, 04:08 PM
Do a complete 72 hours of lights out.. Siphon what you can.. The increased flow may help too..
Then hope for the best..

Bent
10/31/2016, 04:31 PM
I have the same problem.

Dkuhlmann
11/01/2016, 05:23 AM
I have it in my sump also but not in my DT. Personally I don't worry about it and I recommend that you don't worry too much about it either. Like others have said, better in your sump than in your DT. I also have GHA growing in my sump along with Chaeto. My tank is almost two years old and I've not had either GHA or Cyano in my DT in over a year and a half. I also run my sump lights 24/7