PDA

View Full Version : Freezing & thawing your fish food ?

ClownBubbaJoe
10/31/2016, 08:05 PM
Whether you buy frozen fish food or make your own, how do you package the food to keep from frost freezing ?

I try to push the air out of the package, but some air is trapped, so I get frost freeze.
Do you just put a regular amount of what your fish eat in a day in a small sandwich baggie and twist it shut and tie with a twist tie ?

Too bad the store bought package cubed, packs are too expensive as each cube protected buy the aluminum foil.

Has any of you found a good way of reusing the cube trays to keep the food from frost freezing ?

Synden
10/31/2016, 09:29 PM
I've used cube tray to make food and never had much of a problem with freezer burn or frost. I freeze them for about a day and then break them out and put them in a ziplock freezer bag.
Some refrigerators can cause excessive frost though. How old is the freezer? Most modern freezers also remove moisture so they prevent frost build up on food and other surfaces

laga77
11/01/2016, 08:34 AM
In a word, portions. Make your own food and then bag it up in sizes that you will use in less than a month. Use 1 bag at a time and do not open the others. You can go up to 6 months this way.

ClownBubbaJoe
11/01/2016, 09:17 AM
Our fridge is around 15 yrs, and don't know if it's a non-frost freeze.
What cube tray do you use ?

Do you two have any pics of your method & trays ?

Synden
11/01/2016, 02:06 PM
Dont have any pics but I use regular ice cube trays like this
http://www.target.com/p/sterilite-ice-cube-trays-2-pk-blue/-/A-13680151?sid=1806S&ref=tgt_adv_XS000000&AFID=google_pla_df&CPNG=&adgroup=&LID=700000001170770pgs&network=g&device=c&location=9028783&gclid=CI-p14GtiNACFQ-dfgodlZUFEQ&gclsrc=aw.ds

I make my food mix, Rinse well and then fill each cube about half to 3/4 full. Just enough for one portion. Freeze overnight, and then break them out and put in a freezer ziplock bag(s)

ClownBubbaJoe
11/02/2016, 04:26 PM
So, when you put them in a ziplock bag, do you push out all the air as you zip it shut, or does that type of bag not let the air freeze ?

ClownBubbaJoe
11/02/2016, 04:32 PM
What would you do with store bought frozen food flat packs ?

neiltus
11/02/2016, 06:13 PM
Treat it the same way you would treat any food you would freeze.

I usually remove a frozen cube, slice off needed portion, then replace in contain (unthawed) and put container in a ziplock.

joeybemate
11/02/2016, 06:14 PM
I put my food mix into smallish ziplock bags and then flatten it out and seal them so that they're airtight. When one runs out I open the next one and cut it up into portion size chunks and put the chunks all in the ziplock bag that they came from. I don't bother about pushing the air out at this point and never noticed an issue with frost freezing - the food is used in about a month.

What's the problem with frost freezing on the fish food? I thaw it out in a bowl of salt water from the tank and then suck it up using a turkey baster and feed it to my tank this way. My fish have never complained and always eat it all - are there issues that can happen with frost?

ClownBubbaJoe
11/03/2016, 08:05 AM
Joey, I've read that the frost freeze is not harmful, but the food doesn't taste very good, just like for us humans. I remember years ago seeing some of our ice cream was frosted, and it tasted terrible,.... so I threw it out.