PDA

View Full Version : Color Profiles

Reefer40b
11/01/2016, 04:35 AM
Looking to see what you guys set for intensity to get the best coloration to show off your tank?

Right now I just set it to moon, which I believe is 5% on Ch3 default.
I will start messing with different color combos and intensities to see what i can come up with, I will update when i get some time to do this.

Peace

Reefer40b
11/06/2016, 04:46 AM
You guys surprised me... nobody sets there lights to show off the tank?? I will probably play around with the settings this weekend I mean they dim down to 1% with 6 channels and nobody is curious to make a profile to really make there corals pop other than just the normal straight Blue..

I guess I forgot to mention this is for the Photon V2.

Ron Reefman
11/07/2016, 02:31 PM
I think the reason you haven't had any replies is because everybody has their own opinion about what looks good to them. Do you like cool white or warm white. If you add in the red and green leds does the red and green shadow edges (disco effect) bother you or not. It's all a matter of aesthetics and everybody's taste in color is different. Find what makes you and the coral happy, don't worry about what others think.

Or set up 2 tanks and do them different from each other!

http://i395.photobucket.com/albums/pp37/RonReefman/20161018_170631_zpsfaas63gv.jpg (http://s395.photobucket.com/user/RonReefman/media/20161018_170631_zpsfaas63gv.jpg.html)

Reefer40b
11/10/2016, 12:06 AM
I think your very right Ron, after playing with the light the possibility of what you could do is a lot and really does depend on the users personal preference. thanks for the reply!

Ron Reefman
11/11/2016, 06:17 AM
Reefer40b, just to share info, and you may know all this already, but here it is anyway.

As I understand the science, most of the corals we keep in our tanks utilize algae (zooxanthellae) that lives inside the coral polyp and uses way more blue spectrum light for doing photosynthesis than anything else. Some use a little red spectrum as well. Now white light has blue and red in it, but adding more blue and making the light appear cooler to our eye is better for the coral and grows less nuisance algae or macro algae as they use more red spectrum (or warmer white). However, the coral polyps themselves do use a wide variety of spectrum to produce pigments and other organics they require. But they need far less than the zooxanthellae need for photosynthesis.

I run my DT Photon at 80 or 90% on the 2 blue channels and 40% on the white and violet. It's just my personal aesthetic, but I use no red or green over the reef DT.

However, as you can see in the photo of my tanks (my previous post) the display refugium with macro algae in it is run with 100% red and green, 80% white and only about 30 to 40% of the blue and violet channels. That's why it's so much warmer looking. This is to encourage the macro algae to grow and use nitrate and phosphate out of the water thus cleaning the water. When the macro algae gets big enough, I can remove (harvest) some and therefore remove the nitrate and phosphate from the system entirely.