PDA

View Full Version : Pakistan Butterfly

MrsBugmaster
11/01/2016, 12:37 PM
Can two Pakistan butterflies be kept together if added at same time?

caribfan
11/02/2016, 06:28 AM
I'd guess probably not, usually conspecifics don't do well together. Are they being housed together now? If so, are they getting along? What size tank are you planning to keep them in?

scooter31707
11/02/2016, 10:49 AM
yes, they can if they are added at the same time.

caribfan
11/02/2016, 12:43 PM
yes, they can if they are added at the same time.

You've done this before?

scooter31707
11/02/2016, 06:19 PM
Yes, I have in a 180.

caribfan
11/02/2016, 06:30 PM
Sweet, with pakistan butterflies? I'd love to see pics, do you have a build thread? I tried one a while back and never could get it to eat.

Any other butterflies?

MrsBugmaster
11/03/2016, 05:07 AM
I have heard conflicting info on this, some say yes some say no. But I see some people that have two together. Maybe they got lucky and have a m/f pair, I don't know.

The two I am referring to are from Sustainable Aquatics from their sustainable islands project and where raised together. Although they(SA) said they can not be put together long term except in a large 300 gal tank.
I have a 180 gal fowlr. I already got one of them and was thinking of getting the second one. They are at lfs. What would you advise?

caribfan
11/03/2016, 10:20 AM
I have heard conflicting info on this, some say yes some say no. But I see some people that have two together. Maybe they got lucky and have a m/f pair, I don't know.

The two I am referring to are from Sustainable Aquatics from their sustainable islands project and where raised together. Although they(SA) said they can not be put together long term except in a large 300 gal tank.
I have a 180 gal fowlr. I already got one of them and was thinking of getting the second one. They are at lfs. What would you advise?

I guess I stand by my original advice...especially since scooter said they should be added at the same time and you would not be able to do that at this point.

I keep two pyramids together in a 240 and they get along relatively well.

I think it's quite difficult to keep most of the chaetodon species in pairs without an exceptionally large aquarium.

I have tried unsuccessfully with semilarvatus and also Arabian.

MrsBugmaster
11/03/2016, 11:19 AM
Well it is in QT now not display. I just got it 2 days ago.

scooter31707
11/03/2016, 11:36 AM
Maybe I got lucky. I got them back in 2013 from my local fish store. They had about 6 of them around 2-3 inches. I got the 2 that were eating and put them in my QT together. At first there was a little harassment between the two, but nothing major. Eventually they swam together majority of the time. Both lasted about a year and died. They were eating and looked very healthy. They just withered away for apparent reason.

caribfan
11/03/2016, 11:46 AM
Maybe I got lucky. I got them back in 2013 from my local fish store. They had about 6 of them around 2-3 inches. I got the 2 that were eating and put them in my QT together. At first there was a little harassment between the two, but nothing major. Eventually they swam together majority of the time. Both lasted about a year and died. They were eating and looked very healthy. They just withered away for apparent reason.

Butterflies have a tendency to do that. I just could never get my Pakistan to eat well, never made it out of quarantine.

MrsBugmaster
11/03/2016, 01:25 PM
Thanks, I will stick with just the one.

caribfan
11/03/2016, 02:42 PM
Let us know how it goes, get it eating well.

SDguy
11/03/2016, 06:36 PM
Just one is a good choice, IMO. Also, feed finely minced seafood like scallop, clam, and shrimp. Be prepared that he may never eat pellet or flake. Good luck!

MrsBugmaster
11/04/2016, 04:58 AM
It is already eating. It is from the Sustainable Island program. For those not familiar with it here is a link. I called them and these two fish have been in their program for 6 months now. Sounds like a pretty cool program. They do feed them their own pellet creation.

http://sustainableaquatics.com/introducing-the-sustainable-islands-si-project/

kmbyrnes
11/04/2016, 06:00 AM
I'd stick with just one. If they are eating, you should be fine. Mine has grown very nicely in the past year. I

MrsBugmaster
11/04/2016, 06:22 AM
Yes, I am sticking with just one.