PDA

View Full Version : Desperately seeking an Assasi Trigger

Assasi
11/01/2016, 02:06 PM
Does anyone know where I can buy an Assasi Trigger? I am on every online email list that will notify me when available but no luck. Please let me know if you have a line on where I can buy one.

cougareyes
11/01/2016, 03:49 PM
Are you on blue zoo's list, I've seen 2 in the couple of months.

CODE3EMT
11/01/2016, 10:04 PM
Divers Den had 1 a few days ago $200.00 plus and 2 inches long............ if my knowledge serves me correct. Total rip off if you ask me. They have also been pedaling Starcki Damsels at $59.99 not including $30.00 shipping. $90.00 damsel..... LOL. Their prices have gone up on every single item I've noticed the past couple of months. Not going to get on a rant about them, but I'd certainly look elsewhere online. Unless of course it's an item that you must have and cost is not an issue.

kaz1961
11/02/2016, 08:05 AM
How about getting a LFS to order one for you?

humaguy
11/02/2016, 08:14 AM
Does anyone know where I can buy an Assasi Trigger? I am on every online email list that will notify me when available but no luck. Please let me know if you have a line on where I can buy one.

Call hof, they have a nice 3 inch there. Saw it this past weekend.

TK

Assasi
11/03/2016, 09:08 AM
Yes I'm on Blue Zoo, LiveAqauria, etc. email list (TY). My LFS buddies have been trying to get me this fish for months. When I walked into my LFS this weekend they told me they saw an Assasi in Divers Den but when we looked it was gone. I called LiveAquaria and asked why I didn't get an email and got an apology. Now LiveAquaria doesn't show Assasi as an option under their Trigger category. MOST IMPORTANTLY... WHAT IS HOF MENTIONED IN LAST POST, I WANT TO CALL IMMEDIATELY BEFORE IT'S GONE!

Assasi
11/03/2016, 10:20 AM
Tracked it down "House of Fins", I called and they don't ship. He said call back tomorrow and talk to Chris K. (Manages saltwater) to see if he might make an exception (I'm in California). They want $400 for the Assasi (Yikes). If all else fails maybe I can pay pal Humaguy the money and he can buy it and ship it to me. :lmao:

humaguy
11/05/2016, 10:19 AM
any luck with hof? let me know...

Assasi
11/07/2016, 01:34 PM
I called on Saturday and spoke to Joe. He said he would check into shipping today and let me know. Joe didn't think the fish would sell over the weekend but I didn't want to take any chances so I offered to pay for it, Joe said he would put a "sold sticker" on it. I called today to follow-up and was told Joe is off today and he would be back tomorrow. I'm hoping to get a call from Joe tomorrow. On another subject... When I was searching for the meaning of HOF, I found a reference in your post about Rhinecanthus Cinereus. Did you ever get this fish and if so how much did you end up paying and how well did it do in captivity? I had never heard of this fish before reading your post. My LFS said their wholesaler has one available about 5" for $2,500 so I was considering.

Assasi
11/07/2016, 04:17 PM
About two years ago I upgraded my 210 gal reef to a high tech 300 gal reef that I designed and built myself (Lots of research and several idea's that I've never heard of anyone else implementing). I selected corals that are hardy and resistant to fish nipping (Taste bad). In the 6 years my 210 gal was set up I performed 3 water changes Fish and corals were thriving. My 210 gal was out of room so I decided to go larger and built my 8' 300 gal tank. See attached picture (partial view) of 300 gal. Over the past two years that my 300 gal has been setup, I've done 2 water changes and again fish and corals are thriving. About 2 1/2 weeks ago I got an email alert from LiveAquaria, after waiting for almost two years, my Assasi was in and available. I immediately ordered (Paid $259 for 3"-4"), the Assasi was delivered and doing great! The Assasi was my final fish and the tank was complete and I was now contemplating a 500 gal. I came home from work on Friday Oct 28th and all my fish were dead. Assasi trigger, Brazilian Banana eel, Goldflake angel, Achilles Tang, etc, etc. After walking away and gathering my thoughts, I went back to the tank and found my 16" Mertensii anemone had decided to go for a walk after being in the same spot forever and never moving. Yep it walked up the side of the tank and into the power-head, you can see the anemone and power-head on the right side of the attached photo. None of my corals were affected and a pair of percula clowns and a yellow corris wrasse were the only fish survivors.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/42395328/300%20Fish%20R.jpg

CrayolaViolence
11/08/2016, 07:49 AM
Well hell. I'm so sorry that happened. Sometimes I think sea anemones are just on a seek and destroy mission. :(

I do think 2500 i a bit high for a Picasso trigger (isn't that the common name?) I've seen them on whole sale lists for like 30.00 or so.

kaz1961
11/08/2016, 01:19 PM
Well hell. I'm so sorry that happened. Sometimes I think sea anemones are just on a seek and destroy mission. :(

I do think 2500 i a bit high for a Picasso trigger (isn't that the common name?) I've seen them on whole sale lists for like 30.00 or so.

You are thinking of a Huma Picaso Trigger. They look similiar but are different fish.

http://aquarium-fish.liveaquaria.com/fish/Picasso%20Triggerfish

CrayolaViolence
11/08/2016, 02:15 PM
Um, no. I'm well aware of the difference. And it's difficult to get them mixed up when they don't have photos and only a name on a list.

kaz1961
11/08/2016, 03:44 PM
Its a pretty good bet that if it is $25 it is the common Huma and if it is $200 it is the Assasi Picasso. But I bow to your superior knowledge!

CrayolaViolence
11/08/2016, 05:01 PM
Its a pretty good bet that if it is $25 it is the common Huma and if it is $200 it is the Assasi Picasso. But I bow to your superior knowledge!

No knowledge. Just reading off the list. And none of the triggers except the titan and some other were listed as being over 100 bucks (think it was the cross hatch at like 350 or so). Some whole sellers get some amazingly cheap fish. Such as the yellow spotted anthia. I have a list with them sitting at 75.00 and that's on the upper end of the whole sale venue. Sometimes what makes a fish expensive is keeping it alive after it arrives. The prices on the fish before they ever hit the US amaze me every time I see them. However, that's before imports costs, cites, and then your losses. This is why I won't import fish and prefer to purchase them from a reputable store even if the price is 50x that found on whole sale lists. Nothing can beat being able to get a health guarantee. Something you are not gonna get when you risk the import angle.

CrayolaViolence
11/08/2016, 05:15 PM
I just pulled up one of my lists. The Rhinecanthus aculeates (unless this isn't the one the OP means) is listed at $2.78 for any size. Yes, that is Two dollars and seventy eight cents. This is of course BEFORE it enters the us. The larger importers bring in five hundred boxes of fish, it can absorb the cost and be spread over the expense of many fish, thus making that fish around 25.00 at cost to import (that's one fish and they usually have to import a minimum of 20 per box often 100+ boxes). Average box carries 20 small fish except in the case of damsels or chromis or clowns (really small fish) they can get as many as 200 in a box. Each box has shipping costs from where ever to the US, then cites fees per fish (usually 15-19.00 each). So I'm not mistaken about the whole sale price to the local stores. The larger a whole seller is the less they have to charge because buying power means cheaper fish/corals.

The importer that I quoted the 2.78 is actually not a true whole seller, since they sell to the public. So I can only imagine how cheap wholesalers can actually acquire this fish. However unless you are bringing in 20+ fish with friends, you don't really save any money since you have a minimum of 350-450 cites fees and shipping on a single box.

humaguy
11/08/2016, 06:11 PM
Rhinecanthus cinereus is not a typical humu. This particular one was the first collected, they are still very rare in the hobby, and thus, expensive...

CrayolaViolence
11/09/2016, 04:13 AM
Rhinecanthus cinereus is not a typical humu. This particular one was the first collected, they are still very rare in the hobby, and thus, expensive...

If this is the fish the original OP was talking about then there is a very good chance they are not issuing cites on it, therefore it's illegal to import and only gets in by "accident" when the inspectors mistake it for a legal fish.

I looked and I do not see this listed on anything I have handy. Which suggests to me it's not allowed to be imported. Even if a fish is not available, they usually have a listing for it (if it can be legally imported) as well as a price.

humaguy
11/09/2016, 06:55 AM
The op stated Rhinecanthus cinereus.
They were discovered in Mauritius within the last 2 years and are perfectly legal to import.
There are probably less than 10 in the US.

CrayolaViolence
11/09/2016, 07:58 AM
Okay, my bad. I missed that part. When I looked up Assasi Trigger I got a Picasso trigger fish, the more common variety. No wonder it was sticker shock. Thanks for clearing that up Humaguy.

humaguy
11/09/2016, 08:10 AM
Okay, my bad. I missed that part. When I looked up Assasi Trigger I got a Picasso trigger fish, the more common variety. No wonder it was sticker shock. Thanks for clearing that up Humaguy.

Sure, it is amazing how similar in appearance some Rhincecanthus can be. The one in my avatar is the first of its kind collected. I got her in May. (They just got another one last week.) Looks kind of like a lunula, with some assassi and some verrucosus thrown in. Possibly a hybrid but also possibly a new species. DNA will have to decide.

Assasi
11/15/2016, 06:07 PM
My LFS was able to come through with an Assasi, it should be here next Monday and they're giving me a screaming deal just like they did on my new Gem tang. :celeb2:

Sorry Crayola... I had to share my picture on this post too.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/42395328/Gem.jpg

CrayolaViolence
11/16/2016, 06:01 AM
I'm blinded by his beauty. That is truly a spectacular fish.

Not sure if this is the same fish or not, but it popped up on Live Aquaria. Cause honestly I'm truly confused about which fish is which now. LOL

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=15+44+1413&pcatid=1413&ref=4620&subref=AA&cmpid=E-_-TR-_-Stock-_-P1

Assasi
11/17/2016, 05:48 PM
Yes that is an Assasi... same as my avatar picture.