PDA

View Full Version : need advice

Beansdad
11/01/2016, 02:47 PM
Hey All!! Name is Rich and I have been Keeping FW for 12 years. My Daughter wanted Nemo And Dori, so here I am to learn. I have done more reading on FO Aquariums then I care to admit. I am getting to undertake this new endeavor with in the next month. I have a 90 gallon spare tank, it is not drilled. Is that ok or should I go bigger? Drill it or leave it alone? Over the course of time I plan to turn it into a reef. Current equipment: Fluval FX4, CPR Aquafuge 2, Reef Octopus 100 and MH/ T5 Aquarium Light and a Apex.

lg2725
11/01/2016, 02:59 PM
Dori is a blue tang. Minimum of 180 gallons and some say larger. The clown is ok in that sized tank.

ericarenee
11/01/2016, 03:02 PM
HI

Welcome to the Fabulous Money pit of Marine aquarium hobby

First to start off with a 90 gal tank would be a great size to start with . If you have the ability and finances to do so Def Drill it and get a sump for your equipment.. Its so much better in the long run. Canister filters are a maintenance nightmare

If you are only Considering this because your Daughter wants a Blue Hippo tank.. STOP!!! buy her some plush toys and occupy her mind with something else..

If you are serious The clown fish is a good choice for new setup once your tank has cycled.. a blue hippo is a Advanced user fish and required a much larger tank.. i have 7 foot 240 plus gallon tank and i do not feel it would be at home in my tank.

also start off right ..

read all the stickies and be sure from day one fish one you have a proper qt routine in place.. Marine tanks can be expensive but that cost goes why up having to fight parasite infections and putting sick fish in a system you have to destroy to get them out

Not Trying to Discourage you just make sure your ding it for the right reasons

Erica Renee ... I would have more money in the bank but i own a reef aquarium ..

reef thief
11/01/2016, 03:13 PM
Buy two clowns and name one Dory.

Preble
11/01/2016, 03:15 PM
Welcome to your new obsession honestly if I were you I'd go ahead and get the 125 if you have the room to put it go ahead and get it drilled and go ahead and do a sump there's a lot a D I Y sumps you could do for really cheap and easy and I'd go ahead and do a reef tank because in the long run you'll have to buy another life another this another that there's no point buying it twice when you're setting up to go ahead and do it one time
this hobby is a lot of time and a lot of money so do it right the first time and you won't waste a lot of money and you won't waste a lot of time let your tank cycle properly a lot of people don't kill a lot of fish kill a lot of corals and have al algae outbreak's always use rodi water.

Sorry if my words seem out of order and spotty.
Us ring talk to text at the grocery store while walking around.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Beansdad
11/01/2016, 03:29 PM
Erica Renee, Honestly I have been wanting a Reef and my daughter is my excuse. Thank you for the advise.

ericarenee
11/01/2016, 04:05 PM
Erica Renee, Honestly I have been wanting a Reef and my daughter is my excuse. Thank you for the advise.

Awesome..

OHH Do not name a clown fish Dory.. It WILL Bite you...

clown fish are evil..... ok well Female Clown fish ..:spin3:

joshbrookkate
11/01/2016, 04:08 PM

Perfect!

Now read the stickies so you do things right. Many of us started with fresh water tanks. SW is totally different. And it's hard to keep that in mind when you're starting out. I just kept reading the stickies, reading this forum and asking questions.

Go slow. The learning curve is big and the rewards are huge!

Welcome.....

MuShu
11/01/2016, 04:15 PM
You can also check out live aquaria for general ideas of what kinds of fish you could put in a reef and how big of a tank each fish needs.

Figure out which corals you really want to keep and see what kinds of parameters they like. SPS is a slightly different ballgame than LPS as far as parameters and dosing requirements.

Welcome! Feel free to ask as many questions as you need. You will find a lot of helpful reefers who really know what they are talking about and genuinely want people to succeed in the hobby.

billdogg
11/01/2016, 04:54 PM
HI

Welcome to the Fabulous Money pit of Marine aquarium hobby

First to start off with a 90 gal tank would be a great size to start with . If you have the ability and finances to do so Def Drill it and get a sump for your equipment.. Its so much better in the long run. Canister filters are a maintenance nightmare

If you are only Considering this because your Daughter wants a Blue Hippo tank.. STOP!!! buy her some plush toys and occupy her mind with something else..

If you are serious The clown fish is a good choice for new setup once your tank has cycled.. a blue hippo is a Advanced user fish and required a much larger tank.. i have 7 foot 240 plus gallon tank and i do not feel it would be at home in my tank.

also start off right ..

read all the stickies and be sure from day one fish one you have a proper qt routine in place.. Marine tanks can be expensive but that cost goes why up having to fight parasite infections and putting sick fish in a system you have to destroy to get them out

Not Trying to Discourage you just make sure your ding it for the right reasons

Erica Renee ... I would have more money in the bank but i own a reef aquarium ..

Awesome..

OHH Do not name a clown fish Dory.. It WILL Bite you...

clown fish are evil..... ok well Female Clown fish ..:spin3:

Perfect!

Now read the stickies so you do things right. Many of us started with fresh water tanks. SW is totally different. And it's hard to keep that in mind when you're starting out. I just kept reading the stickies, reading this forum and asking questions.

Go slow. The learning curve is big and the rewards are huge!

Welcome.....

You can also check out live aquaria for general ideas of what kinds of fish you could put in a reef and how big of a tank each fish needs.

Figure out which corals you really want to keep and see what kinds of parameters they like. SPS is a slightly different ballgame than LPS as far as parameters and dosing requirements.

Welcome! Feel free to ask as many questions as you need. You will find a lot of helpful reefers who really know what they are talking about and genuinely want people to succeed in the hobby.

All of the above is excellent advice. If you continue in this way you can have a nice, successful, reef tank.

I would not even consider NOT drilling. In addition to the extra volume you will be able to hide 99% of the unsightly stuff (heaters/return pump/protein skimmer/etc out of the way. It makes overall maintenance much easier.

I certainly second the thought that anything in the 4' range is just too small for many fish, the Blue Tang is just one.

Read, read, read, and ask lots of questions. Many of us have been at this for years, and if you'll let us help you, you may very well be able to avoid some of the mistakes we've made.

Get you daughter as involved as you can. It can be a tremendous learning experience for her.

Welcome to the Obsession!!!!!!!

Tanthaitrung
11/01/2016, 07:17 PM
Welcome to RC.

Read more and more, be patient. Do NOT do anything before asking.

Good luck

scooter31707
11/02/2016, 08:54 AM
There is a Yellowtail Damsel that can be substituted for the Hippo Tang. You can name it Dori.