PDA

View Full Version : Halichoeres wrasse(s) compatibility

neiltus
11/01/2016, 08:03 PM
There are several that I like, tank is a 72 gallon DT.

Have a Potter's Angel and Yellow Prawn Goby nearing 4 weeks in QT, they will be going into the tank first. Tank has some TBS live rock, a large pistol shrimp, large peppermint shrimp and a large skunk cleaner.

Substrate is Arag alive special grade 1-2"

I really like the Red-Lined, Hoeven's, and Christmas Wrasses.

1) Will smaller ones trash LPS, Zoa, and other mixed reef stuffs?
2) Are my shrimp and crabs goners?
3) How will they do with a Potter's?
4) 2 different specimens cause any issues?

Other stock in the future-a OC clown and anemone, SPS, firefish, maybe another small goby or two (clown or other small prawn goby) and possibly a royal gramma.

CStrickland
11/01/2016, 09:52 PM
I haven't seen any aggression or coral eating from my hoeven's, I've had him over a year and he's fully male now. All of the little worms and nems and hitchikers stuff on the tbs rock will be a field day for a halichoeres. I wouldn't really trust him around little scampering shrimp though. When I've gotten busy and not fed 3 times a day he gets a taste for my CUC snails, I'd think the shrimp would be very tempting.

Here's some good info if you haven't seen it http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2014/3/fish

hogfanreefer
11/01/2016, 10:01 PM
They won't present a problem with your present stocking IMO but a social acclimation box is always the best thing to do anyway.

I too love the Red Line and the melanurus wrasses (as well as the closely related Vrolik's wrasse).

Which halichoeres wrasse are you calling a Christmas wrasse? Several go by that name including H. ornatissimus and H. Claudia. The former can get pretty big and pretty aggresive. The later is usually pretty laid back in my experience.

I've had 3 halichoeres in my tank at the same time along with 2 blood shrimp, 2 cleaner shrimp and a couple of pistol shrimp. They never bothered the shrimp. It's not impossible that one of them might but the odds are low enough it was worth the risk for me.

scooter31707
11/02/2016, 08:52 AM
I have the Hovens and the Yellow Coris and they get at each other (not major) when they see each other. Every now and then they will go after some of my CUC as mentioned above. I would be careful with shrimp, unless the shrimp is bigger. I have not witness any of them picking at any corals or nems. They are very aggressive eaters.

neiltus
11/02/2016, 01:32 PM
They won't present a problem with your present stocking IMO but a social acclimation box is always the best thing to do anyway.

I too love the Red Line and the melanurus wrasses (as well as the closely related Vrolik's wrasse).

Which halichoeres wrasse are you calling a Christmas wrasse? Several go by that name including H. ornatissimus and H. Claudia. The former can get pretty big and pretty aggresive. The later is usually pretty laid back in my experience.

I've had 3 halichoeres in my tank at the same time along with 2 blood shrimp, 2 cleaner shrimp and a couple of pistol shrimp. They never bothered the shrimp. It's not impossible that one of them might but the odds are low enough it was worth the risk for me.

H. Claudia, I believe them to be smaller

hogfanreefer
11/02/2016, 09:17 PM
H. Claudia, I believe them to be smaller

H. claudia was very laid back when I had one. Never bothered anything. I like that one a lot too!

This is mine.

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f164/huntindoc/aquarium/Hclaudia12_edited_zpsd027493c.jpg