PDA

View Full Version : AIO Filter/Return Pump Section Cover - Simple yet almost elegant

Gulf Stream
11/03/2016, 12:55 AM
I'm returning to the aquarium hobby after a long absence. That being said, I decided to start with a Nuvo Fusion 30L. I wanted to share how I solved something with my AIO tank that other AIO Reefers might be interested in.

What I wanted to address was keeping light out of the filter/return pump section and hide equipment, wires, etc. The photo shows what I came up with. The cover is simply a piece of vinyl gutter turned upside down. For my application it works perfect.

The gutter's back is "naturally" shorter than the front, so when turned upside down there is a nice ~3/4 inch opening across the back for wires, etc.. Also the mounts for the Kessils fit without having to make cutouts. I'll probably have to make a Summer Season Version with whole back of the gutter cut out.

To address another concern: the gap between stock screen and back wall; I glued a mini-blind slat inside the front edge of the gutter.

I got the vinyl gutter at Lowes for about $5 USD for 10 feet. The end caps are about $3 USD a piece. I painted it with Krylon Fusion Paint for Plastic Black Gloss.

Sincerely,
Gulf Stream

fatboyracing
11/03/2016, 08:33 AM
That looks great I should of done that to my jbj 45 is it just sitting there or is it clamped some how

ReefWreak
11/03/2016, 10:49 AM
That looks like a perfect match! Good job, and thanks for sharing!

Gulf Stream
11/03/2016, 12:36 PM
That looks great I should of done that to my jbj 45 is it just sitting there or is it clamped some how

The cover is just sitting there.

hipertec
11/07/2016, 06:01 PM
What a great idea. Where did you get the "net" with black frame to cover the top of the tank?

Gulf Stream
11/08/2016, 09:26 AM
hipertec,

Except for the "Zip Ties" I added making the handles for lifting out the cover, the screen cover comes with the tank. Since you noticed the stock cover; let's revisit the comment I made when starting this thread: "To address another concern: the gap between stock screen and back wall; I glued a mini-blind slat inside the front edge of the gutter."

Regarding all the photographs attached, the top cover is pushed all the way to the front glass. Two photos show an approximate gap of 3/8 inch (8.2mm) at the ends and 5/8 inch (15.9mm) at the center of the back cover respectively (difference due to bowing of back wall). The other photos show how a mini-blind slat can "close the gap." if you prefer not to cover the filter/return pump section.

Sincerely,
Gulf Stream

Gulf Stream
11/08/2016, 09:49 AM
Regarding my previous post, I apologize, the gaps are not approximately 3/8 inch and 5/8 inch they are approximately 3/16 inch (4.7mm) and 5/16 inch (7.9mm)

Sincerely,
Gulf Stream