PDA

View Full Version : New to the hobby

Camaro11
11/06/2016, 03:14 PM
Hello all I am new to the hobby and have 90 gallon fish only tank with live rock. I was told I have a really god set up and everything I need. My question is thebplace I got everything from and came and set everything up said after 24 hrs I can add "starter" fish such as grouper trigger snowflake eel. They also told me not to turn on protein skimmer until 1st cycle is done. So being new to the hobby I lisntened and already lost 2 fish. My saltwater levels are good and ph is good but my ammonia is very high. Any advice would be greatly appreciated thank you

gone fishin
11/06/2016, 03:26 PM
Sadly you got some bad advice from the fish store.

I will assume now that you do not have any livestock in the tank which is good, any other livestock will stand a good chance of dying as well. since you have ammonia in the tank do nothing and let the tank cycle. eventually the ammonia will turn to nitrite and then nitrite to nitrate. Once the ammonia and nitrite are down to zero, this may take a few weeks, then you can do a water change and slowly begin to add livestock.

A few suggestion:

Purchase some test kits for the ammonia, nitrite and nitrate. BTW what is your ammonia level now??

while the tank is cycling read up on quarantine procedures and Tank transfer method. to prevent the introduction of parasites and diseases.

At the top o the forum page there is a sticky called setting up, look for the big red arrow, it is full of useful information.

From now on I would be skeptical of any advice given by that particular fish store.

In the future when posting try to give actual testing numbers and pertinent tank equipment info. this will help give more detailed responses.

Good luck just my 2 cents.

I forgot, welcome to the forum.

Camaro11
11/06/2016, 04:06 PM
Thank you for your response my ph levels are I believe between 8.4 and 8.6 prob closer to the 8.6 my ammonia was def 2 maybe higher my nitrite was between 0.05 and 0.1. I had a feeling they were trying to just make a sale but it is a reputibale store and in business for a very long time. I did get the marine care test kit as far as equipment I have the aqua ultraviolet they didn't leave box for protei skimmer but believe it is aqua also it says goaquarium.com on it with a sea horse. Lighting is fluval. As of now the protein skimmer is not running they told me not to turn it on yet

gone fishin
11/06/2016, 04:34 PM
There are some decent fish stores(LFS) out there, but always remember they are in the business to make money. Get yourself a fish/coral list together do your research and ask questions here.

As far as the skimmer goes I am not familiar with that brand. It will most likely require a break in period. I personally would fire it up. You may not pick up much yet, but it will give you a chance to play with it.

forgot to mention pH is not really a big concern in the saltwater world unless you are using a calcium reactor for example. Of more concern to us is the alkalinty, calcium and magnesium numbers, if these are in check then pH will usually be fine. Usually with a new tank water changes will keep these in check until you start getting corals consuming the calcium for growth. But, that is a story for a later day.

Camaro11
11/06/2016, 04:42 PM
I really appreciate you help and tips and all thank you I should have just left it alone for a few weeks then added fish but they were convincing. I know they said they remain thebskimmer to break it in and showed me in the store maybe they did 1 thing right!!! Again I really appreciate ur advice and hope I can maintain all this!!

gone fishin
11/06/2016, 04:46 PM
No sweat. It all seems a bit daunting in the beginning but once you get into a routine things become easier.

Camaro11
11/06/2016, 04:56 PM
That's what I need told and can't wait been wanting one for a very long time. And finally pulled the trigger. It is a little intimidating in the begging esp when the place tells u one thing that is not true

gone fishin
11/06/2016, 06:00 PM
Just take it slow and easy in the beginning. You are setting the foundations for the tank for hopefully years to come. Like anything a good foundation will go along way in heading off problems later.

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1031074

Here is the link I referenced earlier. some of the stuff is for later down the road but some can help you now.