PDA

View Full Version : Compatible fish

CrayolaViolence
11/07/2016, 03:23 PM
I am setting up a 150 gal 6 foot long tank for my Emperor angel fish. I'd like for him to have company in the tank, but I'm unsure of what fish would do well with him. He's an adult, and currently in a much smaller tank, but doing well there. He's pretty spoiled, having been hand fed and such. However I think he would benefit greatly with a few tank mates. Any suggestions? I'd really like a couple of very outgoing personable fish, preferably mellow in nature. Was thinking about a blue throat trigger fish but wasn't sure if they would do well with an angel or not. Anyhow, thanks in advance for any ideas.

P.s.

I'd like to add a few leathers and mushrooms at a later time, but for the most part this will be a fish only tank.

cougareyes
11/07/2016, 05:38 PM
Blue throat triggers are pretty docile, I have a pair included with a majestic angel. Majestics are pretty tame but I wouldn't worry about needing mellow fish if the emporer is your concern. He will most likely be the king of the tank, the blue throat would work well but are relatively shy although active and out all the time. They are jumpers so you'll need a covered tank. Maybe a puffer, I hand feed mine.

CrayolaViolence
11/08/2016, 03:47 AM
I do want a puffer but I'm not sure if the tank is large enough to house one and keep the water quality up to par. I have an HOB skimmer which is a work horse. But I also know how messy puffers can be. I do love them though. I figured if/when I got a puffer it would be an "only fish" in the tank I had for it. Was thinking of getting small one and starting him off in a 40 gallon breeder so I could keep him in the living room and give him lots of attention, then when he got bigger invest in a larger tank to house him in and he could go into the fish room. Although with as much time as I spend in the fish room with my Emperor angel a puffer would probably get plenty of socialization. But I'd need to plan on a larger tank for it (eventually).

I was thinking maybe two Heniochus black and whites? And a flame angel? Are flame angels very personable?

scooter31707
11/08/2016, 01:13 PM
Just my opinion, the Emperor may not want no company in that size tank. If I am not mistaken, the minimum size tank for them is a 220. Having a pair of triggers and a good size Emperor may not work out too well. When an Emperor feels cramp, it can become very aggressive.

Flaring Afro
11/08/2016, 01:47 PM
The triggers also probably would find the 150 a bit too cramped and be aggressive, even blue throats.

CrayolaViolence
11/08/2016, 03:20 PM
Just my opinion, the Emperor may not want no company in that size tank. If I am not mistaken, the minimum size tank for them is a 220. Having a pair of triggers and a good size Emperor may not work out too well. When an Emperor feels cramp, it can become very aggressive.

I can understand wanting to have plenty of room. But how many people would have a 220 for one emperor fish? I'm pretty sure not many. In fact, I'd be willing to bet quite a few would have a dozen or more fish in a tank that size. With that in mind I don't think a 150 would be too small for a fish who's not going to have to share much of it with any other fish. Most certainly not a dozen or more. If he seems too cramped or unhappy, then we'll upgrade to a 300 gallon stock tank and he'll have lots of room to swim. However he's been in a 40 gallon alone for quite some time and is very happy, swims and plays and tosses water at me for treats.