PDA

View Full Version : How to get gorgonian to extend polyps?

Lewis2000
11/09/2016, 02:10 PM
Hi,

I have two gorgonians(diogorgia nodulifera sp.) which i have had for two weeks now and have not extended. My water parameters look good- ph 8.2, temp-72-75, salinity 1.025 nitrates 0(carbon dosing) and phosphates are low, indirect moderate linear flow and fairly low lighting.

My feeding schedule is as listed below:

Syringe Pump 1:

Doses 0.17ml of Fauna Marin Ultra MIN S (Amino Acid) Daily

Syringe Pump 2:

Doses 10ml over a period of 24 hours (0.36ml/hour) which is a slurry of foods which consist of…

2 Cubes of frozen Red Plankton
2 Cubes of frozen Microplankton
2 Cubes of frozen Invertebrate Food
2 Cubes of frozen Cyclops
2 Cubes of frozen Rotifers
2 Cubes of frozen Artemia Brine Shrimp
1/4 Teaspoon of Fauna Marin ULTRA Seafan
1/4 Teaspoon of Fauna Marin ULTRA Clam
1/4 Teaspoon of Fauna Marin ULTRA MIN F
1/4 Teaspoon of Polyp Lab Reef Roids
1/4 Teaspoon of Goniopower

Automatic Feeder

Doses a mixture of dry foods 4 times per day (8:00,12:00,16:00 and 20:00)

Fauna Marin ULTRA Seafan
Fauna Marin ULTRA Clam
Fauna Marin ULTRA MIN F
Polyp Lab Reef Roids
Goniopower

The larger 'meaty' foods often catch on to the gorgonian which i gently brush off with a toothbrush. I also do daily water changes of around 25-30%.

Am i doing anything wrong? is it normal to be closed for that long and is there anything else i can do to allow it to extend?

The tank is 35L.

Thanks in advance, Lewis

Bongo Shrimp
11/09/2016, 02:39 PM
Try changing the flow and maybe feed less foods that will get caught on it requiring you to touch it.

Lewis2000
11/09/2016, 03:13 PM
Thanks for the quick response. I will change the flow. How long do you think i should leave it before making anymore changes?

Thanks,Lewis:)

Bongo Shrimp
11/09/2016, 03:15 PM
Thanks for the quick response. I will change the flow. How long do you think i should leave it before making anymore changes?

Thanks,Lewis:)

Maybe like 2 days (?). It's not an exact timeline and you sort of have to feel it out. If you see a polyp or two peaking out, leave it longer and see what happens. It can depend on the gorg too but in my experience when it was a flow issue, once I changed it they opened up in several hours.

Bongo Shrimp
11/09/2016, 03:18 PM
If they are currently in low flow, try blasting a power heads over them and let them get flow off to the side. A lot of times they don't like super high direct flow.

You're welcome btw.

Kawasaki213
11/23/2016, 03:58 PM
Would love to see some pictures ;-)

mark54321
11/23/2016, 09:39 PM
Do you have picture of your tank and see what position your powerheads are? I have NPS tank myself currently with 9 gorgonians and they really like laminar flow, not to strong and not direct. They stay open most of the time, with exception when they shed, sometimes stay closed for couple of weeks. How is your lighting? Did you try to put them in shade?