PDA

View Full Version : It's time for an ATO

enthejungle
11/10/2016, 05:03 AM
The time has come where I'm tired of manually topping off and tired of having an inconsistent level in my sump effecting my salinity.

I've done some reading and I've done some comparisons and now I'm slightly confused and more importantly undecided.

The smaller Tunze is obviously an option. Don't see the need for the full size on a 60 display with a 20 sump.

Liking the Avast Marine as well. The pressure switch seems to be a bit better from what I've read. Still a little confused on whether I should get a peristaltic pump or diaphragm pump. From what I can tell their diaphragm pump is silent which is pretty important to me. From what I call tell the peristaltic pump is pretty accurate/precise but is that a must for an ATO. My other understanding is that my reservoir can be placed anywhere without worrying about a siphon.

Last on the list is the dual float setup from autotopoff.com. Seems like people have been relatively satisfied with these and for the price it's hard to go wrong.

Any suggestions or advice is always appreciated. Money is always a factor but I do understand this is one piece of equipment you don't want to have fail.

Thanks in advance for your replies and support!

mcgyvr
11/10/2016, 01:27 PM
The tunze setup is great and includes the pump.. That pump works great too..
But it is expensive for sure..

And yes with a peristaltic pump the tube is fully closed so a siphon cannot form..
But a peristaltic pump is overkill for ATO IMO.. Its meant for accurate repeatable dosing of liquids..
The floats/sensors take care of that part for you..

Something with the typical "bobber" float switches can/will fail over time/buildup/snail crawling on it,etc..
I always put mine into a "spice bottle" (splash/critter) guard basically to protect it from something crawling on it if there is ever a chance of that happening.. It also helps with "waves" from cycling it on/off when its near its set point.

Personally I'm not a fan of the "pressure sensors" like the ATO setup.. One little minute air leak throws it out of whack.. Optical or regular floats are all one needs IMO..

The toms aqualifter makes a great pump for ato.. Or you can just buy the Tunze pump and throw it on a 5-12V power supply of suitable current rating.. (It pumps FAST when run from 10-12V so I'd advice to stay with 5V supply for it..
There is also some Neptune PMUP which should work just fine and needs a 24V supply I believe.. As well as any other smaller aquarium pump that can push the needed head..

I used the aquahub one for years without issue..
http://www.aquahub.com/store/autotopoffcomp.html
Now I use a float and my reef controller with the tunze pump and its excellent..

aquaman67
11/10/2016, 02:30 PM
I've been using the two sensor autotopoff.com set up for a few years now. I don't have a sump so mine is actually in my tank. I would recommend this setup to anyone. It's been bullet proof so far. I use a small airtight pet food container sitting next to my tank for fresh water.

It used to be in my stand but was too easy to ignore there. I only put about a gallon and a half in it at a time - to avoid overfill disasters. But this system has never failed.

AdamD76
11/11/2016, 05:31 AM
dual float setup from autotopoff.com here. No issues what so ever. i give it a quick rinse when doing a water change.

zooman72
11/11/2016, 10:28 AM
If you are going with the Tunze, get the "full-size" model, and not the Nano - I employ several Nanos, and have had numerous issues over the years - none catastrophic (caught them in time), but worrisome...

Tron_954
11/11/2016, 10:39 AM
I have the full Tunze ATO on my 34g AIO.... Tunze products are top notch.

You have the digital eye, and a float sensor for extra security which makes an obnoxious buzzing sound, very very loud.... if the water goes too high...

How safe do you want to sleep at night!?

Chris Lakies
11/11/2016, 10:43 AM
I have the full Tunze ATO on my 34g AIO.... Tunze products are top notch.

You have the digital eye, and a float sensor for extra security which makes an obnoxious buzzing sound, very very loud.... if the water goes too high...

How safe do you want to sleep at night!?

This exactly! Or going on Vacation.

FirstContact
11/11/2016, 12:16 PM
Another vote for the Tunze Osmolator. Just an all around great product, but don't get the control box wet! Just dropped mine in the sump the other month, and now it's worthless. So be sure to mount the control box in a dry safe place where if it falls it won't get wet!

OllieNZ
11/11/2016, 12:28 PM
The hydor would be another one to look at. No moving parts and mine has been trouble free so far. It warns you if the level gets high and if your top off tank has run out.