PDA

View Full Version : Tie the tank in or not?

JonezNReef
11/10/2016, 08:32 PM
I have a 180g reef tank with a 40g sump at the moment. I recently got a 120g tank and was considering sectioning it out and having it set up for clownfish breeding. The 120 would have 3 sections (around 40g per section) with a pair in each section. I know I could get away with making more sections but instead would rather have space for the fish to swim and move. I'm considering having a maroon pair, tomato pair, and not sure if I want ocellaris or peculiar or take on section and making it 2 sections and then I could have a pair of each. I would also like to have a anemone in each section as well.

I was wondering if I could have it tied into my 180g system or should it be its own system?

CoralsAddiction
11/11/2016, 07:50 PM
You could tie it to your system but you will probably need a bigger sump. Perhaps try the DIY section as you might get more answers there.
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=3

JonezNReef
11/12/2016, 07:29 AM
Yea I was trying to get a breeders view on it. I would like the extra water volume and between cleaning the two the system would get multiple water changes. But, at the same time I've read about having the clowns in a system with higher temps and lower salinity but don't know how optimal this would be for the anemones. I don't know if that's a better over all route to go or not. Also with me adding frags to the 180 there is a risk my tank getting something unwanted. I could up my QT time on frags to 72 days to make sure they are free of ich. As far as the sump goes I've considered the overflow of the two tanks and already plan on possibly adding a second 40g sump.

Windy2
11/15/2016, 08:59 AM
Don't tie them together, I did and I regretted it. I have a fish room with 100 gal sump, 135 gal, and 6, 20 gal tanks tied together. I had the setup without the 135. I picked it up from someone who was moving and I started with a separate sump. I eventually tied them together and then the problems started. To maximize breeding I hold my system at 81.7-82.5 F. That kills a lot of coral. I also run a Sg of 1.20 to help when transferring rotifers. I feed 4 times daily and my tanks are always on the "dirty" side.
The 135 was then infested with aiptesia. Can't treat with anything for fear of killing your brood stock. So after most of my frags died, I emptied the 135 and now use it for one pair of clowns.
If you want to raise fry you need a dedicated system.

JonezNReef
11/15/2016, 11:14 AM
Thank you for sharing your experience!!!
This is what I was scared of if I tied them together. I really would like the extra water volume over all but being able to treat each separate would make things easier in the long run.

Flaring Afro
11/21/2016, 04:43 AM
I'd also use opaque acrylic to divide the tanks. Otherwise the fish might be more stressed from seeing each other and not want to breed. The maroon clowns would be the worst offenders.

JonezNReef
11/21/2016, 09:22 AM
Yea i plan on using black or blue acrylic for the dividers just for that reason

SantaMonica
11/24/2016, 06:40 PM
Also if tied, the much higher nutrients get to your corals.

OrionN
11/24/2016, 10:38 PM
I keep my system at 80 degree and salinity at 35 ppt and my Ocellaris and Percula. Red just fine every 2 weeks. Large nest.
If you are able to keep a stable reef and great clean water add 6 more small fish to the system would not change that. If you end up with pest I. The system I am not shire why that would be related to the clown fish?

JonezNReef
11/25/2016, 12:20 PM
I keep my system at 80 degree and salinity at 35 ppt and my Ocellaris and Percula. Red just fine every 2 weeks. Large nest.
If you are able to keep a stable reef and great clean water add 6 more small fish to the system would not change that. If you end up with pest I. The system I am not shire why that would be related to the clown fish?
I had a incident in the past were my 180g tank got ich from a frag but I now QT my frags for atleast 72 days.

Also my current reef runs between 80 and 82 degrees and only has 2 tangs, 3 chromis, and a single ocellaris clownfish.

Denbf58
11/26/2016, 05:58 AM
I have my breeding pair in a 29g reef and use 2 10g and 20gL for grow out. if something go wrong it is only going to be in one tank. it is more work but you have more controll