PDA

View Full Version : Calcium and kh

OoooDRAGONoooo
11/11/2016, 08:01 AM
Hi all.my tank is now just over two years old.and I now have two experience in the hobby.it has been a continuous learning curve and I eventually came to realize that the conditions inside the aquarium have been in constant development.i believe I have more stability now but the changes ,however subtle will never cease.i experimented with infrequent water changes which resulted in high nitrates40 ppm (eventually ) now I have reverted back to monthly and levels are back to around 10 ppm.i have acros at the top rhodactis climbing up to greet them,candy cane ,sycophyton and other mushrooms a beautiful rose tip bubble anemometer,,,all flourishing.my failures have been with the Zoa forest and torch coral,probably due to my neglect of the nitrates.now for my question,.,the tank is now consuming a significant amount of calcium now.i am adding it regularly and have noticed that my kh and mag have risen too.so I assume that it must be contained in the calcium powder that I am dosing.my kh used to be around 7 to 8 so I used to regularly raise it with soda bicarbonate or tropic Marin triple buffer.but now it's not needed because I think the calcium powder has raised it to around 10.My calcium level is around 360 ,so I want to know if it's ok to increase the calcium dosage to get it to around 410 and not worry about what it will do to the kh level.pleas advise.

hkgar
11/11/2016, 09:42 AM
I would look at your water changes as possibly being the cause of rising Alk. It is very doubtful that your calcium supplement would be raising your Alk. What salt mix are you using? You might test a batch for both Alk and Ca. What calcium supplement are you using?

tmz
11/11/2016, 09:50 AM
calcium powder that I am dosing.

What is it exactly?

OoooDRAGONoooo
11/12/2016, 01:48 AM
Hi,Tom and Gary,Ty for your replies.when I decided that enough was enough with the nitrates I did weekly wc of about 25 % with the new salt which replaced the red sea coral pro.i did 5 changes until nitrates were stable at 10 ppm.the new salt is called,A.T.I coral ocean plus,.it mixes up in 45 liters of rodi at 26 oc as follows,ph 7.7 ,kh 6.1 ,mag,1410 and calcium 300.ive got about two weeks till monthly wc is due.the calcium additive is a powder form called, grotech calcium pro instant.all the coral previously mentioned look very happy.my test kits are salifert and API as a back up.phosphates by the way have always been unreadable.i do have chaetomorpha growing in sump (which has an active brine shrimp and copepod/amphipod population.i also add tropic Marin pro coral weekly for the the inverts etc.

Martin Kuhn
11/12/2016, 07:35 AM
Tropic Marin Triple buffer is a combi thing from carbonates (TM does not tell exactly, most likely a combination from NaHCO3 and Na2CO3) trace elements and borates

To be honest I don't like this surprise bags where I don't know what I get.

The grotech products you mentioned are pure balling salts in powder form (like 2 /3 part) ... just a bit more expensive

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

tmz
11/12/2016, 11:48 AM
i am adding it regularly and have noticed that my kh and mag have risen too.so I assume that it must be contained in the calcium powder that I am dosing.
The grotech calcium product is " pure calcium chloride " per the manufacturer; no alk or mag there.

tmz
11/12/2016, 12:09 PM
raised it to around 10

The calcium powder in use would not raise alk to 10 since it has no alk in it. The salt mix in use if it mixes to 6.1 dkh at 1.026 sg wouldn't either. Since you have stopped adding the buffer product it's obviously not that. All of this assumes accurate measures.

Marin coral pro refers to a line of products of various elements, none of which seem to have any alkalinity enhancing properties. Which one are you using ,BTW?

bertoni
11/12/2016, 12:45 PM
The most common stealth sources of alkalinity are tap water, pH buffers, and artificial live rock. The calcium supplement, if it's truly calcium chloride, shouldn't have raised the dKH by any measurable amount. It might have some trace contaminants that contain a bit of alkalinity, but that's a reach. Maybe some water changes raised the level?

OoooDRAGONoooo
11/13/2016, 01:59 AM
Hi,the homemade rock which is a large lump,I think stabilized after about a year,that's when the calcium levels began to decline.the water changes were done after a couple of periods of 3 monthly wc s,so maybe that shocked the system somehow into producing/raising kh.I will be checking parameters again today.

OoooDRAGONoooo
11/13/2016, 02:08 AM
raised it to around 10

The calcium powder in use would not raise alk to 10 since it has no alk in it. The salt mix in use if it mixes to 6.1 dkh at 1.026 sg wouldn't either. Since you have stopped adding the buffer product it's obviously not that. All of this assumes accurate measures.

Marin coral pro refers to a line of products of various elements, none of which seem to have any alkalinity enhancing properties. Which one are you using ,BTW?

Tropic Marin,pro-coral mineral.one level spoon per week.

bertoni
11/13/2016, 04:10 PM
The Pro-Coral Mineral supplement is supposed to be trace elements, so I wouldn't think that it has any calcium or alkalinity in it, but there's no complete description on the web site. It might be like the Bio-Calcium product, which contains both alkalinity and calcium, despite the name.

Hans-Werner
11/14/2016, 08:06 AM
Hi,

I am the product manager of Tropic Marin. It is correct that Tropic Marin Pro-Coral Mineral increases the KH by 1° by a single weekly dosage.
You can increase the dosage of the calcium powder to get the proper calcium concentration of 400 to 440 ppm. This in turn will balance or lower the alkalinity due to higher calcification and calcium and KH consumption.

OoooDRAGONoooo
11/14/2016, 10:20 AM
Thankyou all for your much appreciated comments

bertoni
11/14/2016, 03:32 PM
Okay, that makes sense. The Pro-Coral is a balanced supplement. It should be a fine product, but you will need to get a pure calcium chloride product (preferably) to raise just the calcium.

OoooDRAGONoooo
11/14/2016, 11:19 PM
Hi,

I am the product manager of Tropic Marin. It is correct that Tropic Marin Pro-Coral Mineral increases the KH by 1° by a single weekly dosage.
You can increase the dosage of the calcium powder to get the proper calcium concentration of 400 to 440 ppm. This in turn will balance or lower the alkalinity due to higher calcification and calcium and KH consumption.

Message for Hans, hi I also have tropic Marin bio calcium at my disposal,does this powder raise alk? I was just using the grotech product before I start the bio calcium.

Hans-Werner
11/15/2016, 01:28 AM
Yes, Bio-Calcium is a balanced calcium additive that adds also alk in the right proportion. We also have calcium supplements without alk named Original Balling Part A and Alca-Balance, because it can be used to adjust the balance between alk and calcium.

tmz
11/15/2016, 06:29 PM
Thanks for the info Hans.

OoooDRAGONoooo
12/11/2016, 01:36 AM
Sorry to bring this up again,but something has been puzzling me.if my calcium products contain a "mixed balance of buffer and mag"this goes against what I was led to believe that u CAN'T mix buffer with calcium because it causes precipitation and the two substances must be administered separately .please explain.

Hans-Werner
12/12/2016, 01:54 AM
This is true in liquid additives with the exception of organic calcium additives which can raise calcium and alkalinity with just one liquid additive.

With powder additives you can add calcium and alkalinity at the same time since the dry powders donīt react. In the tank the dilution and the magnesium ions make dissolution without reacting possible.

OoooDRAGONoooo
12/13/2016, 04:02 AM
Thankyou.