PDA

View Full Version : tips and tricks to get your fish to eat pellets?

Devaji108
11/11/2016, 11:58 AM
I would like to get my fish to eat NLS (or other brands) pellets...
any tips N tricks?

right now I just add it to my DIY blender food.
fish are happy and healthy but would like to get them on pellets.
cheers

AlSimmons
11/11/2016, 12:22 PM
Soaking the pellets in a cup of water for 5 minutes or so will help sometimes. This will soften them up a little and make it a lot easier for the fish to eat. Offering the right size pellet is also important.

FirstContact
11/11/2016, 03:16 PM
My fish eat the NLS pellets and frozen food and algae grazers and seaweed. Funny thing was when I came back from MACNA when it was in DC, I had a TON of dry food pellet samples but my fish wouldn't touch any of them! Just the NLS pellets.

heathlindner25
11/11/2016, 04:35 PM
Try ocean nutrition pellets

davocean
11/11/2016, 04:49 PM
For finicky eaters like anthia I start by soaking NLS pellets w/ mysis, usually this helps and often once they get used to it that starts many to prefer pellets, which is really nice if you use an autofeeder, and that may help you as well, the enticement of a mid day snack

Devaji108
11/12/2016, 01:22 AM
yeah I really what to use an auto feeder just for the mid day snak and to feed while I am away.

ok i'll try soaking them and see what happens. there the small ones so I belive there the right size. also thinking about picking up some vitamins.

AlSimmons
11/12/2016, 12:25 PM
You don't really need the vitamins IMO. As long as your feeding a varied diet you've got all the bases covered so to say.

bif24701
11/12/2016, 02:00 PM
My Naso didn't eat pellets in QT, but when I moved him to the display he saw others eating them and started eating them. Now he loves them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

davocean
11/12/2016, 03:46 PM
You don't really need the vitamins IMO. As long as your feeding a varied diet you've got all the bases covered so to say.

Pretty much agree

rgulrich
11/13/2016, 04:15 AM
I've used a dither fish or known consumer that happily feeds on pellets to "set the example". My bluegreen chromis worked well for my harems of anthias, and the "old" purple tang shows all newcomers where the "feeding trough" is (I use automatic feeders for dry pellets @4 times/day). Now, when the main system pump shuts down all of the fish hover around the end of the aquarium by the feeder.
To supply a broad nutrition base I use and recommend a mix of a variety of pellets of the same size covering both veggie and carnivore diets. For off-size pellets for the larger fish picked up a second feeder.
Everybody can eat smaller pellets, but not everybody can handle larger - even if they've soaked for a while.
Cheers,
Ray

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk