PDA

View Full Version : why are all my fish randomly dying?

hrairguitar
11/12/2016, 08:49 PM
Ok first off I apologize this being so long but here it goes

I have a 375 gallon display tank. Another 100+ below in the filtration

Over a year ago my skimmer burnt out and I regrettingly let it go. I was down to 1 flame angle who survived through hell and back

About 6 months ago I got a new skimmer and got it going again. Changed the water and slowly started adding fish. All was well for a couple months until the last few weeks

I had a dogface , blue tang, couple clowns, pink antheias, niger trigger, toby puffer, butterfly, and a chromis with the flame angel

I've been anal about the water and quarantining fish

Then a few weeks ago the butterfly randomly dies overnight

Then I think I see ick on my tang and dogface but it went away really fast and its business as usual

Then randomly one clown dies. No signs of ick and it was eating the night before

Then the anthias randomly dies overnight. Same scenario

Then the flame angel (which lived through the worst conditions dies) along with the dogface

Then today the other clown dies. Same scenario, ate last night and woke up to it dying

Now after looking closer my chromis has an open wound by its fin and my blue tang has a sore as well on it. It just lays in the back corner of the tank

The trigger seems fine as well as the toby puffer.

I just fed em and everything ate business as usual

Tested everything and nothing was out of the norm

No ammonia, no nitrites, Ph was normal and nitrates were near zero

What in the heck can cause this? Crabs and snails are fine but fish are obviously not

Dromon
11/12/2016, 09:25 PM
You mentioned wounds. Is it possible you have something predatory hiding in your rocks? A non-reef safe crab or maybe some nasty worm or mantis shrimp?
Do you see your fish darting around? If so, it could be stray electricity from some defective equipment. The darting around could be how the fish injured itself.

Just some suggestions.

Walla2GSP
11/12/2016, 09:36 PM
The Trigger and Puffer both have stony beaks and have a tendency to be aggressive at night, is it possible they have been bullying the other fish? I love my puffers to death, but the hard fact is as much as I want to trust them they can be aggressive and defensive if they want to be and do serious damage. I have seen a porcupine puffer eat two angels his own size then almost die from the large meal.

hrairguitar
11/12/2016, 10:47 PM
I have a probe and dont notice any jolts when I put my hands in the tank. I guess the little puffer or trigger could be a-holes. The trigger is pretty big and I remember the little puffer being a little aggressive to a clown when first introduced. I just never see it going down when the lights are on. The trigger usually keeps to himself and has his normal sleeping spots at night. I barely see the toby puffer at night. All fish that have died didn't have any wounds. It was basically healthy one day and dead the next. Im seriously so stumped

hrairguitar
11/12/2016, 10:53 PM
And there shouldnt be anything in the rocks or sand. Its been the same rocks and sand that I've had the past 4 years. And I dont see anything darting around. Since the fish started dying the tank looks empty when the lights are on until feeding time. The toby puffer and trigger occasionally swim around but the tank looks lifeless

ThRoewer
11/13/2016, 04:56 AM
"...my chromis has an open wound by its fin and my blue tang has a sore as well on it. It just lays in the back corner of the tank..."

This makes me wonder if you may have gotten Uronema marinum into your system, an opportunistic parasite.

You might wanna have a mod move this thread over to the Fish Disease section.

hrairguitar
11/13/2016, 03:21 PM
"...my chromis has an open wound by its fin and my blue tang has a sore as well on it. It just lays in the back corner of the tank..."

This makes me wonder if you may have gotten Uronema marinum into your system, an opportunistic parasite.

Can any mods please move this for me?

scooter31707
11/14/2016, 10:41 AM

That's what I was thinking around with Velvet, with the quick deaths.

Andyr005
11/24/2016, 08:44 AM
I know this is something that most people will think is a given but have you checked your salinity? If you keep it high, evaporation could send it too high for some of the fish. Just a thought. Something I dealt with in the past and no one ever mentioned it when I posted questions. However I suspect that it is a disease issue as suggested above.

SantaMonica
11/24/2016, 06:24 PM
Well I was going to say a recently-grown mantis. Just read a thread where it happened to them.

ThRoewer
11/24/2016, 09:36 PM
I had one tank where the salinity crept up to 1.040 and none of the fish or inverts showed any discomfort. So unless the salinity went up fast or extremely high I doubt that it causes deaths.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Andyr005
11/24/2016, 10:27 PM
I had one tank where the salinity crept up to 1.040 and none of the fish or inverts showed any discomfort. So unless the salinity went up fast or extremely high I doubt that it causes deaths.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

You may have been lucky with fish in that situation. i imagine that was a well established tank but being that this was a newer setup I don't believe it is outside the realm of possibility that salinity could be the issue. I've had fish survive high salinity and I have had fish not survive. All I'm saying is it worth a check ( a quick one at that) as it could be a possibility, also that people sometimes forget to check.