PDA

View Full Version : New & Old wrasse mix

foxngn
11/14/2016, 12:51 AM
Hi guys,

Would like some advise on this.
In my existing tank, i got a bluehead fairy wrasse which i got for a year already.
Recently i just purchased a social fairy wrasse.
The social fairy wrasse currently is inside a quarantine box.
When I had introduced it to my DT, the bluehead constantly go near to the box & seems wanna have a fight with her.

At my current state, what i can do so that next time when i release the social fairy wrasse out, the bluehead won't pick on her ?
Shall i imprison the bluehead first?

Thanks

Half Vaped
11/14/2016, 01:53 AM
How long as the acclimation box been in the display? I find that the behavior you describe usually subsides in less than a week. Almost always gone within two or three days.

Then the aggression will flare up again once the new Fairy is released into the display. Hopefully, the new guy will stand up for itself and the other guy will gradually back down. The new guy might go into hiding, but you should start seeing it more and more over the next few days.

If the new Fairy has been in the display for more than three days or so and the other Fairy is still just as mean and making the new one stay in hiding, it might be a good idea to put the old guy in the acclimation box for a while. Maybe even in a separate tank temporarily. Luckily aggressive Fairy Wrasse tend to be a little easier to catch than most other reef fish.

Don't let the new Wrasse out of the acclimation box until it feeds very well, is not constantly hiding and is not showing fear of the other Wrasse.

I'm assuming these are first two Wrasses in the tank? Having more Fairy and Flasher Wrasses in the tank will help spread the aggression. Also some people have used mirrors to distract aggressive fish.

foxngn
11/14/2016, 02:48 AM
Its only been inside the box for 2 days. Based on monitoring last night the bluehead doesn't pay that much attention to him. I had prepared a pvc for the solar fairy for it to hide as well.

Half Vaped
11/14/2016, 03:15 AM
That's a good sign that it's already being ignored after two days. But there's still a chance the aggression may come back. Yes, definitely provide a pvc pipe inside the acclimation box. It will help the new guy feel more comfortable.

d-man
11/14/2016, 08:00 PM
Wait a couple more days

foxngn
11/15/2016, 02:57 AM
i intend to remove the pvc by today or tomorrow. Its been hiding inside for whole day & night. there is no intention of it getting out.
Then i'll check if within the next 2 days, bluehead doesn't harass it again i will release to DT.

Half Vaped
11/15/2016, 03:22 AM
Is it eating well?

foxngn
11/15/2016, 03:30 AM
Is it eating well?

of all the pellets i place, i think there is only 1 - 2 had been ate.

Half Vaped
11/15/2016, 03:48 AM
I wouldn't recommend removing the pipe, but no major harm in trying it. If it still doesn't eat well in maybe three or four days you might need to check for disease and treat as needed. Pretty much all my Wrasse that made it were eating well within the first day or two.

Half Vaped
11/15/2016, 03:52 AM
Forgot to add, try feeding Mysis Shrimp. All my Wrasses go crazy for it. I don't really feed any pellets, so I don't really know of the process to get them to start eating pellets.

And don't release it into the DT if it doesn't start eating well.

foxngn
11/15/2016, 05:29 AM
alright noted on this.
Anyhow to the bright side of this. I guess it does eat.
As just now i checked, those pellet which on the floor of the box most of them were gone.
I believe it does eat, will try to add in more pellets & try again.

Rakie
11/16/2016, 12:26 AM
alright noted on this.
Anyhow to the bright side of this. I guess it does eat.
As just now i checked, those pellet which on the floor of the box most of them were gone.
I believe it does eat, will try to add in more pellets & try again.

Piscene Energetics has PE mysis pellets. (https://smile.amazon.com/Piscine-Energetics-Mysis-Pellets-Saltwater/dp/B01M9CSLB4/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1479277468&sr=8-2&keywords=PE+mysis+pellet) Everyone whose tried them said their fish go nuts for them. I'll probably give them a shot myself. They come in 1, 2, and 3mm sizes. Slow sinking.

If you prefer pellets, give 'em a shot.

foxngn
11/16/2016, 02:07 AM
Piscene Energetics has PE mysis pellets. (https://smile.amazon.com/Piscine-Energetics-Mysis-Pellets-Saltwater/dp/B01M9CSLB4/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1479277468&sr=8-2&keywords=PE+mysis+pellet) Everyone whose tried them said their fish go nuts for them. I'll probably give them a shot myself. They come in 1, 2, and 3mm sizes. Slow sinking.

If you prefer pellets, give 'em a shot.

Updates:
my social had become more active, it will swim out of the pvc eat pellets.
When it was out of pvc, i can see that the bluehead fairy does not pay attention to her already.

I'll keep an eye on this for this 2 more days, if bluehead fairy still continue to ignore her, I'm going to release it out to DT.

Half Vaped
11/16/2016, 02:36 AM
Good to hear. Social Wrasse can sometimes be on the aggressive side as well so it can hopefully stand up for itself.