PDA

View Full Version : PetCo clam

farfromsea
11/14/2016, 05:37 PM
Saw two small clams at Petco today. One was labeled maxima and I can't remember the other. Anyways the smaller one was clammed shut :lolspin: with no mantle extending you could just see a purple margin at the opening. The larger one showed the mantle and would shudder when I pushed water past it or waved my hand over the glass.

Is the small one dead or doing poorly? I was hoping to convince them to discount it and let me revive it

chrisv
11/14/2016, 06:23 PM
Saw two small clams at Petco today. One was labeled maxima and I can't remember the other. Anyways the smaller one was clammed shut :lolspin: with no mantle extending you could just see a purple margin at the opening. The larger one showed the mantle and would shudder when I pushed water past it or waved my hand over the glass.

Is the small one dead or doing poorly? I was hoping to convince them to discount it and let me revive it

I strongly recommend not buying a clam that's already in decline. even at a deep discount, you have only the smallest chance of saving it. More importantly: buying clams from a place like petco, where they do not receive proper care, only encourages them to order more (which will also be doomed).

How large are they?

farfromsea
11/14/2016, 08:30 PM
2 inches and 3 inches...maybe. Very small no more than 3.

I've not seen an infested fish for sale yet although they had a display tank they took down and that one had a clown with pop eye. But yes I agree on the ethics

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

chrisv
11/14/2016, 08:35 PM
What's your tank and lightning like? My experience is that clams can really thrive if they start off on the right foot and have stable conditions w strong light. Happy to make suggestions on species...

noob916
11/14/2016, 10:30 PM
How much do petco sell them for?

farfromsea
11/15/2016, 12:05 AM
These were $40 and $50 I believe

chrisv
11/15/2016, 05:27 AM
I'd save my money for one with better prospects. Dead clams can get pretty gross pretty quickly in a tank. Talk about an instance when a protein skimmer REALLY goes nuts. I'm amazed to see DD selling the blue squamosa clams so cheaply. It used to be that these sold for >$1K and were basically impossible to find. They are a hardy clam and if they are anything like the other color forms, they tolerate less light than crocea or maxima. Cant go wrong with a hardy huge neon blue clam.

ali1
11/15/2016, 05:40 AM
Walk away

farfromsea
11/15/2016, 11:09 AM
Thanks everyone. I will mourn for the clam's inevitable death but not out it in my tank...

OrionN
11/16/2016, 12:19 PM
About the only disease we can treat for clams is PMD. Don't buy a clam in bad shape, unless it is due to PMD, you will not be able to save him.

farfromsea
11/16/2016, 03:46 PM
I went back to the store to
get stuff for my mom's freshwater setup and peeked at the clams. One was labeled as 1.5".

They were sitting on little rocks or frags when I first saw them and yesterday they were not anymore I guess they aren't happy and moved off of the frag.

And thanks oz interesting about the clam I figured it could be nursed to life like a poorly coral but obviously not.

farfromsea
11/16/2016, 05:41 PM
What's your tank and lightning like? My experience is that clams can really thrive if they start off on the right foot and have stable conditions w strong light. Happy to make suggestions on species...

I have a 60 gallon cube (seller told me 55 but I measured it finally) and radion gen 1 xr30

CrayolaViolence
11/17/2016, 05:59 AM
They do not have proper lighting at petco for corals or clams. It's only a matter of time before they kick the bucket.

farfromsea
11/17/2016, 08:51 AM
They do not have proper lighting at petco for corals or clams. It's only a matter of time before they kick the bucket.

Yes is suppose this is probably true. They don't just use the lights they have on the fish but I haven't looked at what they have hanging. Even my LFS has managed to brown out the most beautiful giant blue $150 maxima clams within 30 days. Terrible