PDA

View Full Version : Fish stock list.

atraperegrinus
11/14/2016, 10:19 PM
Hey guys, I currently have in my tank:
1 x Yellow tang
1 x Tomini Tang
1x Engineer goby ( tank is bare bottom mostly so this guy might still be temporary haven't decided yet )
1 x Melanurus Wrasse
1 x Orchid Dottyback
1 x Harlequin Basslet

Tank is a 110 gallon 48x24x22, coast to coast overflow, with a 125g 6 foot sump. Mixed reef, few crabs, lots of shrimp ( 2 cleaner 1 fire/blood shrimp, 1 yellow banded shrimp ) oversized skimmer, and algae turf scrubber. estimate 180g-200g total system water.

I'm looking to add a few more fish in the future here and am kind of stuck on ideas.

I was considering the following, not all of these but some, a mix/match of whatever i think will work out best from this list:

-Midas Blenny
-Mandarin
-Copper Band Butterfly ( i know hard to care for, and might be possible bad mix with yellow tang )
-Coral Beauty ( might nip at lps.. undecided if worth the try )
-Maybe a small group, couple Anthias
-Chalk basslet ( had one before, first one jumped sadly.)
-Fuzzy dwarf lion
-another wrasse of some sort
-powder brown tang ( likely too small of a tank for this, but one of my favs besides Achilles which i wont even considering trying )

i would love to get the powder brown but i feel the tank would probably be too cramped for him. one of these would be easily my top 3 out of this list.

also really like the butterfly for potential aiptasia control, but my tangs are a-holes and I'd bet it wouldn't end well if i tried one.

Anyway, looking for educated instruction as to how many off this list would be possible additions to my tank, i feed the crap out of my tank and the scrubber would have no problem keeping up with at least a few more fish for sure. my screen is sized currently for 4 cubes/food worth a day and i feed about that staying under <1 nitrate and phosphate stays between .01-.03, and im only using half the available area i could, so if i needed to i could increase to almost triple that feeding capacity.

thanks anyone who can chime in, feel free to also make reef safe recommendations for neat fish, nothing plain or boring. Thanks!

thegrun
11/15/2016, 01:45 AM
-Midas Blenny yes
-Mandarin highly questionable, especially with a wrasse already in the tank, how is your pod population?
-Copper Band Butterfly ( i know hard to care for, and might be possible bad mix with yellow tang ) Sounds like you know the issues
-Coral Beauty ( might nip at lps.. undecided if worth the try ) Almost all will eventually nip at corals, some devour corals, if you want to try one place several coral frags in your quarantine tank after the fish has gone through its quarantine period. See how it reacts to the frags before you release it into your tank
-Maybe a small group, couple Anthias Good choice although they need frequent feeding, auto feeders work well for them
-Chalk basslet ( had one before, first one jumped sadly.) Small ones are fine, bigger species will eat shrimp
-Fuzzy dwarf lion
-another wrasse of some sort Good choice, but not if you are going to try the Mandarin
-powder brown tang ( likely too small of a tank for this, but one of my favs besides Achilles which i wont even considering trying ) I just don't see a Brown Tang working in your tank, particularly with two other tanks already in the tank.

Half Vaped
11/15/2016, 02:24 AM
I agree with mostly all of thegrun's advice, except the part about Wrasses. You can get a few Fairy and Flasher Wrasses--they don't do nearly as much damage to pods as some of the other Wrasse genera. But even if I had to choose between them and a Dragonet, I'd go with the Wrasses.

By the way, where does your Melanarus Wrasse sleep in a bare bottom tank?

atraperegrinus
11/15/2016, 09:00 AM
thanks guys. really appreciate the feedback, pretty much what i expected.

I was pretty confident the powder brown is a no go, eventually i'll have a72x30x20 tank and ill get one then.

pod production im not to worried about, with the algae scrubber my pod production is literally off the charts. plus i add phyto every other day along with marine snow, which helps their production significantly. aswell as i add a new batch every month from a buddy who grows them specifically.

If i was to get more wrasses i'd likely go with a fairy wrasse, my local store has had the same red headed solon fairy wrasse for months i might just pick him up one of these times.

the coral beauty has been on and off my list for a long time, every time i cross him off i hear another person tell me they have had one for years with no issue, then when i add one back to the list i hear another horror story. lol

@half_vaped - as for the wrasse, he has 2 or 3 spots he sleeps in, crevises in rock, or inside my gsp rock ( it has a small cavern under it with exit holes, really neat ) seems fine haven't had a problem with him at all.

only questionable one is the copper band, i have a feeling it might not work out but i really would love to try it. I used to toss in bherghia nudis for aiptasia when i needed to, but now with the wrasse, thats a no go.

scooter31707
11/15/2016, 09:12 AM
I agree with the above statements. IMO, I would not add the Cooperband neither. You mentioned that your tangs are PITAs, I will be surprise if you will be able to add anything new to the tank.

atraperegrinus
11/15/2016, 09:40 AM
I agree with the above statements. IMO, I would not add the Cooperband neither. You mentioned that your tangs are PITAs, I will be surprise if you will be able to add anything new to the tank.

the tomini is pretty laid back, the yellow is a butthead though for sure. If i had known beforehand i likely would have gotten the copper band instead of the yellow tang. live and learn i guess.

atraperegrinus
06/28/2017, 08:30 PM
Okay, just bumping this back up, ive changed stuff around slightly.

The Yellow tang was bullying the tank in general and caused a few fish to jump, SO im down to just 5 fish now.

-Tomini Tang
-Orchid Dottyback
-Melanurus Wrasse
-Harlequin basslet
-Copperband Butterfly

because of the bullying the yellow tang has now been rehomed to my massive fuge area, and is no longer a DT fish, and I'd like to restock the tank.

I have a 240g Tank I'll be upgrading to here in the next year. for future reference.

Here's the fish i'd love to add again now that I'm back to this stage:

-Anthias x3 for sure ( prob wait for 240g for these )
-Chalk basslets 1-3 ( i'll aim for 3-7 in the 240g likely, love chalk basslets )
-1-2 more wrasses, I prefer go bare bottom in my tanks but I plan to have one of those wrasse dens with fine sand for the wrasses
-Would still like a fuzzy dwarf lion fish but unsure with safety of cleanup crew
-Definitely Midas blenny again
-

-Powder blue tang one of my fav fish besides achillies tang. This would be for the 240g for sure.

I'm still working on some other potentials aswell, I dont think the coral beauty is worth the risk i have ALOT of lps in my tank. which is a shame.