PDA

View Full Version : Filter sock question

trill22
11/15/2016, 10:10 AM
So I've been lurking and reading through the forums for quite a while, but rarely post. I have a question regarding filter socks...

I know some people use them and some don't. And most everyone who does use them, has their own method of cleaning them for re-use. The one thing I've read and heard consistently is that everyone specifies NO CLEANERS! And I'm sure everyone will jump all over me, but why?

Yes, I'm serious - why are no cleaners used other than bleach and/or hydrogen peroxide? Changes in ingredients for cleaners over the last few years have severely reduced or eliminated phosphates, so that isn't a reason.

For the last 2 years, I've been washing my filter socks WITH my regular laundry, actually just with towels. I use All Free and Clear detergent, sometimes add a little baking soda to boost the detergent. I usually add bleach or peroxide in the bleach dispenser. BUT I don't use fabric softener - in ANY of my laundry, not just with the filter socks. Instead I use plain white vinegar as a fabric softener, in the rinse cycle. After cleaning, I allow them to air dry until needed. I've never had any issues cleaning this way - no problems with corals, fish, inverts or nuisance algae.

So is there a reason that laundry detergent is so specifically excluded?

ReefsandGeeks
11/15/2016, 10:24 AM
I'd say to eliminate any chance of the detergent getting into the tank. Sounds like you've been lucky in having your clothes rinse well enough to not have a problem, but why risk it? Obviously you wouldn't want to put any detergent into your tank, so I believe that's where the caution comes from. I would never try it. That's not to say it can't be done, but a one time incident could lead to disaster. Hydrogen peroxide quickly degrades, and chlorine can be treated with prime if a small amount were to get into the tank somehow. As far as I know, there's no cure for detergent.

Zalick
11/15/2016, 10:25 AM
I'm sure you will get quite a few answers on here. I'm not aware of any tests or studies looking at this issue so what you will hear will be anecdotal. I've never used soap because I want to minimize the risk of introducing ANY chemicals in my tank that I don't add intentionally. The chlorine in bleach breaks down rapidly and once the filter sock is dry, its completely safe. Some people actually put drops of bleach directly in their tank. Bleach breaks down fast. (I wouldn't recommend this)

I have never used detergent and I've never had a problem. In your situation there could be a couple of answers:
1. There is no detergent residue after the rinse cycle so it safe.
2. There is minimal residue after the rinse cycle and its not enough to cause harm.
3. Any residue is not harmful.

I personally just wait until I have a full load of filter socks and run it with just bleach and extra rinse. No need to take any additional risk.

trill22
11/15/2016, 11:31 AM
I figured I'd end up flamed for even asking, but was curious why there was such a huge reaction to no cleaners. Technically, we all add chemicals to our tanks every day. The real difference is whether those chemicals react positively, negatively or are basically neutral in our systems.

In my situation there is no such thing as a "load" of filter socks - I'd need to wait weeks before washing! A super capacity washer has a small load cycle, but I'd need 2-3 times the number of socks that I currently own to make it worth using the washer. And the washer is much more effective than handwashing or just rinsing with a hose.

My assumption is that the detergent leaves little or no residue since I've used them in a variety of tank sizes, from 30-90gallons. I believe the vinegar in the rinse removes any detergent residue, as well as acting as a fabric softener for the laundry.

So my next question would be - is anyone else doing what I am?

Zalick
11/15/2016, 11:48 AM
I figured I'd end up flamed for even asking, but was curious why there was such a huge reaction to no cleaners. Technically, we all add chemicals to our tanks every day. The real difference is whether those chemicals react positively, negatively or are basically neutral in our systems.

In my situation there is no such thing as a "load" of filter socks - I'd need to wait weeks before washing! A super capacity washer has a small load cycle, but I'd need 2-3 times the number of socks that I currently own to make it worth using the washer. And the washer is much more effective than handwashing or just rinsing with a hose.

My assumption is that the detergent leaves little or no residue since I've used them in a variety of tank sizes, from 30-90gallons. I believe the vinegar in the rinse removes any detergent residue, as well as acting as a fabric softener for the laundry.

So my next question would be - is anyone else doing what I am?

I'd think there must be more people out there using detergents. I'm very curious. Do you have any SPS? Certain corals are more sensitive to chemicals than other animals. Your evidence is pretty strong that the residual detergent, if any, has no negative impact on your system since you've been doing it for a few years as opposed to once or twice.

bertoni
11/15/2016, 04:52 PM
Detergents are surfactants, and can kill animals and cause make skimmers overflow and perform poorly. A small filter sock that has been rinsed in a washing machine probably is more than safe enough, but it's easy enough to rinse again in a bit of vinegar, which should help remove any traces of detergent. I doubt I'd worry about it all that much in most cases, but I have never used a filter sock.

soverjas
11/15/2016, 05:07 PM
There are lots of reasons not to use detergent. To name a few some soaps are antibacterial meaning the good bacteria also. Another is your skimmer with even the smallest amounts will go bat s*&% crazy and overflow like a mother once it gets in there. You might be able to get away with it with several rinses.

if we are talking about 2000 micron felt which is complex enough to trap Fish food and poo in it with thousands of gallons of water running through it daily I think that's a little far fetched to believe youll get all the soup out of it.

The reason bleach is common is because once it drys its completely safe and bleach alone has then coming out looking pretty new.

socks seem pretty expensive to just toss out but if I didn't use the one with rings I literally would go to the craft store and buy a cheap sewing machine, some felt and make up like a hundred of them in a night for less then a buck a piece and just toss them as i go. There is a lot of good DYI filter socks tutorials out there.

I have acquired about 30 socks over the years and I bought a hand powered wash machine. I just let them soak with bleach and when I pass it and remember to give it a couple turns until i have enough for a load. Look up portable non electric wash machines. The one i have is called the wonder wash and one of the best investments I made.

lilphil26
11/17/2016, 07:43 AM
I use Purex dirt lifter liquid detergent in with mine. I have red sea 100 felt and 200 mesh filter socks. After they are done the wash cycle i put them in a bucket where my waste rodi water rinses them out. I have zero issues to date.

Dan_P
11/17/2016, 05:47 PM
With proper attention to detail, you need not fear contaminating the aquarium with detergent or bleach or whatever. And the "detail" in particular you need to pay attention to is remembering to thoroughly rinse the material. Unless a particular chemical is highly toxic (a very small LD50) and the material absorbs or adsorbs sufficient chemical that can then be released to the aquarium, there is no reason to be paranoid.

I agree with what is said about the toxicity of detergent, but you'd know that even a small amount of contamination occurred when your skimmer overflowed, but then the skimmer would be doing its job of removing the surface active contaminant.

Full disclosure, I have a fish only system and wash all filter materials with Dawn dish detergent followed by 3-6 rinses. At this rate I figure that I am diluting the detergent concentration by a factor of 1-100 million.

polaravic
11/17/2016, 10:17 PM
When I used filter socks (bags actually) i just washed them in plain water in the washing machine. I filled up the machine on its maximum setting thus using lots of water. Then I repeated the cycle once more. This system worked like a charm - very clean and safe filter bags.

polaravic